Polestar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Watching this space as Lucid is an interesting startup that’s basically a Tesla spinout
Their first offering is a Model S/Taycan (and Polestar 4?) competitor. I’m guessing will be around $100k and seems comes with a ~500mi real world range (!!!)

Will see if they can actually pull it together to make deliveries and if they’ll make a Model3/P*2 tier version.

·
Registered
56 Posts
An acquaintance I know was recently hired as a line worker for the Lucid factory. Lucid raised $1B in Saudi venture money and the funds raised are apparently enough to see the vehicle reach production.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I (quickly) went through the Lucid Air reveal. Definitely impressive range, acceleration and charging, and it looks like they have actual designers, hardware engineers, and manufacturing experts working for them.
So seems like Tesla, but with key people in place to plug some of the (sometimes literal) holes Teslas have.

Only thing is, the initial models are well north of $100k, getting close to $200k
Porsche can charge that because they make cars that drive like a Porsche - and while I went through it quickly, I didn't see/hear anything about brakes, suspension, or chassis in the ~hour long reveal video.
Merc, Audi, etc can charge that for sumptuous luxury combined with great driving performance and dynamics - and while the video of the prototype looked better than Tesla, still didn't look IMO quite to the hyper-luxe standard to justify the price
Even the bargain basement model is $80k and its details aren't available yet - but looks like it doesn't come with a pano roof and probably other features that are standard on the Kia Niro that's half that cost.

I'm sure there are folks who will pay that premium because it's new and shiny. I guess I'm more hoping that they can license their powertrain (if it is the real deal) to an OEM that does proper design and manufacturing of the rest of the car, because I'm suspicious that they're falling into Tesla's mindset that range, charging, and straight-line acceleration are the end-all-be-all

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Got a better look at the Lucid Air here. It certainly looks beautiful and strikes a nice balance of minimalism, with actual buttons/knobs for things like stereo volume, HVAC, etc. The materials do look nice - they somehow didn't come across as nice in their release video I posted before. And I feel less strongly about the need for a hatch on it seeing the space in the frunk and trunk and how it can be reconfigured.

And its app seems ready! And has 2 cup holders up front! :)

Would love if the ~$80k edition coming in a couple years gets a pano roof, has a tow bar option, and retains >300 mi range.

And, you know, for them to actually make it to and through production and initial deliveries.

Yay for competition!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Think of it as your car after the polestar 😄
Would be lying if I said I didn't configure the current base $95k Touring version and note that with the federal incentive that becomes 'only' $87.5k.... and wonder if I truly needed that kidney....

Have to say I do prefer Polestar's design aesthete nonetheless. Chances that they can merge the Precept's design with the Air's powertrain???
[and make a version that is somewhere in the realm of affordable?? I mean, I'll take Silicon Valley 'affordable'....]

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bjorn's P*2 banana box video led me to his rundown of the Lucid Air:

I love the idea of Lucid licensing their drive train to other manufacturers. What if you could take the P*2 and plop it onto the Lucid platform?
More compact system could more cargo front and back, no rear 'transmission' hump, and potentially less weight with even high motor kW, and looking at it maybe even higher battery kWh and higher charging kW with V2G capability (and V2V if you use Bjorn's 'gay cable' 😂 )
I'd def pay some level of premium if the 2024 model year P*2 has something like that!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts