Polestar Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello folks, interested in your real range experiences in NI / IRL. I am due a new company vehicle and my heart says EV my head says Hybrid. I really like the look of the Polestar 2 from what I have seen on videos / internet. Caught a glimpse of one outside Belfast once but gone in a flash.

I am looking at the "Long Range" 228hp 78kWh Single Motor (in Midnight) with a reported range of 337 miles. I travel to Dublin once a week / fortnight (256 miles return trip). Is this doable on a single charge - I suspect not although it may be close. At my office Business Park in Dublin there is only 1 charger which is always in use, so I am guessing a stop in an Applegreen would be required on each return trip. Currently they have 50kw chargers and from what I read a 10%-80% charge would take around 66 minutes. In your experience is it possible just to top up for 30 minutes ?

Grateful for your thoughts - if anyone is in County Antrim / Belfast areas, I wouldn't mind meeting up with you to see one in real life. Thanks

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
If you get a hybrid, we're no longer friends.

I find charging at 50kw chargers works just fine. And there's usually no need to charge up as much as you can. Half an hour can add more than 50% easily.

·
Registered
Magnesium | Long Range Dual Motor | Plus & Pilot | 19” | Charcoal
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hello folks, interested in your real range experiences in NI / IRL. I am due a new company vehicle and my heart says EV my head says Hybrid. I really like the look of the Polestar 2 from what I have seen on videos / internet. Caught a glimpse of one outside Belfast once but gone in a flash.

I am looking at the "Long Range" 228hp 78kWh Single Motor (in Midnight) with a reported range of 337 miles. I travel to Dublin once a week / fortnight (256 miles return trip). Is this doable on a single charge - I suspect not although it may be close. At my office Business Park in Dublin there is only 1 charger which is always in use, so I am guessing a stop in an Applegreen would be required on each return trip. Currently they have 50kw chargers and from what I read a 10%-80% charge would take around 66 minutes. In your experience is it possible just to top up for 30 minutes ?

Grateful for your thoughts - if anyone is in County Antrim / Belfast areas, I wouldn't mind meeting up with you to see one in real life. Thanks
I’m close to getting mine. Id offered to fly over and pick up if they delivered to Liverpool where my brother lives. Was meant to happen yesterday but I got a call a few days ago to say there was a delay in getting the Northern Irish registration back so they had to cancel delivery. As it was their fault they have offered to deliver it to my Coleraine address at no extra cost but don’t know when that will be yet, hopefully in the next few weeks, itching to get my hands on it. If I get it soon and happen to be in Belfast abs it suited id be happy to let you have a nosey. There’s a lot of ifs there though!

As for charging, no experience yet but I believe the public charging in the North can’t be relied on but the South seems better as they charge for it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m close to getting mine. Id offered to fly over and pick up if they delivered to Liverpool where my brother lives. Was meant to happen yesterday but I got a call a few days ago to say there was a delay in getting the Northern Irish registration back so they had to cancel delivery. As it was their fault they have offered to deliver it to my Coleraine address at no extra cost but don’t know when that will be yet, hopefully in the next few weeks, itching to get my hands on it. If I get it soon and happen to be in Belfast abs it suited id be happy to let you have a nosey. There’s a lot of ifs there though!

As for charging, no experience yet but I believe the public charging in the North can’t be relied on but the South seems better as they charge for it.
Thanks Neil - I hope you get yours soon. Yes the charging network seems to be better in the south alright. The CircleK garages are installing the 350kw rapid chargers. Apparently in ROI you have a 90 minute time limit on public chargers. If you stay longer than that the cost increased dramatically, so it incentives you move on.

·
Registered
Polestar 2
4 Posts
In my experience, range anxiety was very real when I first got the Polestar. But it has now all but disappeared. I found it was a matter of adjusting to the new world of planning your trips. The NI public network is generally acknowledged as being very poor, but actually for my very specific needs, it is fine. The first and most important point is not to rely on the network for all your charging, so you must have access to a charger at either home or work. I travel to my in-laws once a fortnight. It is too far to comfortably get there and back, so I use the same public charger each time I make the trip. Thankfully it is one of the more reliable chargers and isn't over used, so it is nearly always available for me when I want it.

I wouldn't want to head off for a Dublin and back drive without a planned stop. You may find that at motorway speeds and in the winter, the range isn't what you might hope. So, I would suggest a planned stop, and make sure you have a back up plan. I think there are enough chargers on or close to the A1 and M1 to make this reasonably straightforward. I find a 50kW charger tops you up at about 1% per minute, which matches your 70% in 66 minutes claim. But you don't need to fill up at this stop. You just need enough to comfortably get you home.

I'd be happy to let you see my Polestar. I'm busy most evenings over the next couple of weeks, but if you can wait until the start of November we could arrange to meet up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In my experience, range anxiety was very real when I first got the Polestar. But it has now all but disappeared. I found it was a matter of adjusting to the new world of planning your trips. The NI public network is generally acknowledged as being very poor, but actually for my very specific needs, it is fine. The first and most important point is not to rely on the network for all your charging, so you must have access to a charger at either home or work. I travel to my in-laws once a fortnight. It is too far to comfortably get there and back, so I use the same public charger each time I make the trip. Thankfully it is one of the more reliable chargers and isn't over used, so it is nearly always available for me when I want it.

I wouldn't want to head off for a Dublin and back drive without a planned stop. You may find that at motorway speeds and in the winter, the range isn't what you might hope. So, I would suggest a planned stop, and make sure you have a back up plan. I think there are enough chargers on or close to the A1 and M1 to make this reasonably straightforward. I find a 50kW charger tops you up at about 1% per minute, which matches your 70% in 66 minutes claim. But you don't need to fill up at this stop. You just need enough to comfortably get you home.

I'd be happy to let you see my Polestar. I'm busy most evenings over the next couple of weeks, but if you can wait until the start of November we could arrange to meet up.
Thanks for the feedback - yest lets touch base in November and we can arrange something.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So after my cancelled delivery due to delayed paperwork CS we’re great at sorting out a delivery slot this week and offered delivery to my house in Northern Ireland free of charge. The delivery driver told me he’s brought quite a lot over now. There were two others on the lorry, a thunder AWD and another magnesium But FWD. He said both of those were for a lease company in belfast.
Really happy with my car so far. Connection seems solid so far. The app isn’t perfect but happy enough with it and I don’t really need it. One key and one activity key as well as an emergency key. The delivery driver seemed to think we would be issued another key when the shortage improves but he wasn’t certain (he volunteered this info, I hadn’t asked as I was aware of the one key issue).

Cloud Sky Plant Property Building

Sky Cloud Road surface Motor vehicle Street light

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hello there, I've had my Polestar since mid-February. I like to claim that I'm the first Polestar driver in Northern Ireland. This is absolutely not true, as the delivery driver told me he'd been delivering Polestars on numerous occasions before I got mine,
Sorry for quoting an older post but couldn’t resist.

Surely the delivery driver is the first Polestar Driver. 😂😂😂😂.

Hope your still loving your P2.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Neil,

Saw your car in another post. I too have an address on the north coast and am expecting my dual motor magnesium car in December. The only other one I’ve seen is a black one near port stewart.

Barry

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Barry,

I’ve seen the void in Portstewart too and there’s a thunder somewhere in Coleraine I’ve seen a few times.

I’m sure you’re looking forward to December!

Neill

·
Registered
6 Posts
So after my cancelled delivery due to delayed paperwork CS we’re great at sorting out a delivery slot this week and offered delivery to my house in Northern Ireland free of charge. The delivery driver told me he’s brought quite a lot over now. There were two others on the lorry, a thunder AWD and another magnesium But FWD. He said both of those were for a lease company in belfast.
Really happy with my car so far. Connection seems solid so far. The app isn’t perfect but happy enough with it and I don’t really need it. One key and one activity key as well as an emergency key. The delivery driver seemed to think we would be issued another key when the shortage improves but he wasn’t certain (he volunteered this info, I hadn’t asked as I was aware of the one key issue).

View attachment 8114

View attachment 8115

View attachment 8116
Looks beautiful Neil

21 - 31 of 31 Posts