Polestar Forum banner

Polestar's Porsche-focused Plan for Profitability

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  JRRF 
#1 ·
Here's a quick but interesting read from Green Car Reports:

Basically, they had an interview with Gregor Hembrough, who's the head of Polestar Americas, and he was pretty candid about the targets for the Polestar 3, 4, and 5 - and they're all Porsches (the Cayenne, Macan, and Panamera/Taycan, respectively).

The really interesting part (to me, anyway) is how closely they're aping the Taycan's tech specs (800V architecture, two-speed transmission), which is great in terms of signalling that these will be advanced EVs and represent meaningful progress from even the Polestar 2, but that they'll also likely be very expensive.

So profitability will come through a major move upmarket, meaning they'll be targeting the demographics of the Polestar 1, not the Polestar 2.

And somewhat confusingly (again, maybe just for me), is that while they'll be using Volvo's new SPA2 architecture, neither Volvo nor Lotus will be using the new electric motors Polestar is developing. So they're choosing not to share costs with other Geely-owned EV brands? I don't really see the logic there. Why not spread the development cost out?

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

See less See more
#4 ·
I see the 2 as a gateway car with a small launch pricing right now. Once established and beta testing is over, the 3 ramps up. Prices will start to climb. Just in time for the 5. Inflation will really move the 2 and 3 upmarket in pricing. You cannot compete sub $50k once the established OEM’s get their act together.

#14 ·
Keep in mind that by the time Precept (5) deliveries start, Taycan will be at least 5 years into its lifecycle and Porsche will be rolling out the electric 718. This all sounds impressive enough today, but it’s going to have to compete against a more advanced Porsche either immediately or very shortly after launch. If Polestar are up to the challenge, exciting times ahead.

#16 ·
Porsche has an unique brand position. They have stayed true to it and let generations create incremental improvements. Mercedes reinvents their style so often it dates their vehicles. They have nailed the luxury though. BMW doesn’t know who they are anymore. Chasing both these two brands

Polestar can create competent and high style cars. Good dynamics, solid built quality and as noted with good service. A niche and profitable brand with the backing of Geely and Volvo for shared architecture costs. Being built in China means lower built costs too to stay competitive. Similar to being a Mazda. Independent but smarter.

#17 ·
Polestar can create competent and high style cars. Good dynamics, solid built quality and as noted with good service. A niche and profitable brand with the backing of Geely and Volvo for shared architecture costs. Being built in China means lower built costs too to stay competitive. Similar to being a Mazda. Independent but smarter.
Agreed. PS can also be a high-end brand for people who don't need to scream "look at me".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.