Polestar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad to see that Polestar is joining some of my other favorite brands like Tesla and Ferrari to make vegan interiors easier to come by. As a result they got an award from PETA.
I bet a good number of vegans and non-vegans would choose a vegan interior if it was an option with few drawdowns. As demand grows it should only get better.
Its even more important for electric cars to have them, animal agriculture contributes the most to pollution, more than automobiles.

Speaking about the vehicle, Thomas Ingenlath, Chief Executive Officer of Polestar, said: "Polestar 2 is our first fully electric car and first volume model. Everything about it has been designed and engineered with passion and dedication.
"As an electric performance brand, and through the forthcoming launch of a portfolio of fully electric cars, Polestar is determined to address the world’s air quality challenges. Polestar delivers electric performance cars that are great to own and drive."
Speaking about the interior, he described a video of the mass production of leather as 'disturbing' and added: "Our care for the environment goes beyond the electric drive chain. With the Polestar 2, we designed our interior offer to promote and accelerate the shift of the car industry towards leather-free interiors."

·
Registered
23 Posts
As synthetic materials have improved in quality a lot over the recent years, I bet many might not even notice the difference. A lot of newer EV's seem to be taking interest in using organic and recycled materials for construction.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As synthetic materials have improved in quality a lot over the recent years, I bet many might not even notice the difference. A lot of newer EV's seem to be taking interest in using organic and recycled materials for construction.
As someone who has owned many high quality leather good i'll be skeptical as to how they hold up over the long term compared to leather which can be so good that 20-30 years into ownership it still holds up like it did on day one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There is a lot of upkeep on a leather interior in order for that to be the case. Not only do you have to constantly treat it with cleaners and protectors but even too much exposure to sunlight will cause it to fade and crack.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a lot of upkeep on a leather interior in order for that to be the case. Not only do you have to constantly treat it with cleaners and protectors but even too much exposure to sunlight will cause it to fade and crack.
It can be easy if you do simple things like avoiding parking in the sun which should be done regardless. Many people make that mistake and wonder why exterior and interior colors fade beyond on the inside at least.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have always liked leatherette/vinyl seats (now given the trendy vegan moniker) as I have dogs and it is much easier to maintain and is more durable. I would easily choose it over real leather.
My Mercedes has MB-Tex seats, now called Artico. It looks and feels like real leather and it is extremely durable and ages well. Mercedes has been using and developing its leatherette material for many decades and it’s pretty much the best in the industry and I hope more car manufacturers will do the same.

I find it odd that Polestar 2 does offer a Napa Leather option in the configuration (the beige colour scheme), and leather-only options in the Polestar 1 configurator despite trying to be ethical and going animal-free.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It's never been an issue for me whether an interior is vegan or not, but kudos to Polestar for doing that for people that take that into consideration.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's never been an issue for me whether an interior is vegan or not, but kudos to Polestar for doing that for people that take that into consideration.
Polestar didn't have a choice anyways.
Tesla did it and you can bet they would be losing out on some sales by not following lead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts