Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Charging your phone via the QI pad in the Polestar 2 - or simply putting your non-QI phone on the charge mat - is a headache for many drivers. There are various reports of phones not charging and/or getting hot. We created a survey in the german forum to get a better understanding of the number of affected users and possible correlations to other factors like phone type, SW build, case, etc. to communicate to PS HQ through our channels.

Instead of recreating the poll here (not sure wheter a multidimensional poll is even possible here), I am posting the link to the german poll below. If the questions and answers are not clear, please manually gTranslate the page. You don't need an account, the survey is anonymous and the results will be published after evaluation.

Thanks in advance for participating!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
My University Deutsche is pretty rough and I did use GTranslate, but I didn't see an option for a phone with no wireless charging capability and the phone does not change temp. Was this only for people who have Qi charge capable hardware? I know my grandson's older iPhone charges fine on the mat and does get a bit warm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think many of the not charging issues is when phone is placed a bit wrong. There is a short edge in the bottom of the charge mat where it is mistakenly easy to place the phone on.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem is, both the phone and the car think they are charging, but the SoC of the phone is barely rising and it's getting hot. Some phones even turn off wireless charging because they got to hot.

In the first two hours, we had 50 reports from the German forum alone with no pattern visible.

My bet would be on the changes PS made for the iPhone without proper regression testing as I remember my phone charging ok over the winter.

Reactions: lkz083

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
The problem is, both the phone and the car think they are charging, but the SoC of the phone is barely rising and it's getting hot. Some phones even turn off wireless charging because they got to hot.

In the first two hours, we had 50 reports from the German forum alone with no pattern visible.

My bet would be on the changes PS made for the iPhone without proper regression testing as I remember my phone charging ok over the winter.
Yea, they probably just tested with the limited devices they had on hand with a focus on the iPhone 12. Seems they dialed back the protections that should stop charging if the device isn't aligned properly, so instead they just get hot.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, they probably just tested with the limited devices they had on hand with a focus on the iPhone 12. Seems they dialed back the protections that should stop charging if the device isn't aligned properly, so instead they just get hot.
Right now, based on the poll, it seems they tested with no other phone than the iPhone 12.

No regressoin testing, a typical beginner error - problem solved, release it.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Results as of now:

Charging slowly or not and all and getting hot: 24
Charging and getting hot: 42
Charging and getting warm: 33
Non-QI phone getting hot: 3

No particular pattern of new/old charging mats, SW version or phones. Phones reported as not working properly where Samsung S6,8,10(+)/20/21(+), iPhone 10,11(pro),12(pro) and single Huaweis, LGs, Honors, Sony Experias, OnePlus, Pixel.

Most phones have a sleeve, about evenly distributed between original and third party, but some don't use a sleeve.

Sounds like git revert to me - if they use a VCS at all ;)

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
Stock P*2 MDNT VIN: 011***
396 Posts
Submitted an answer. iPhone 7 in a 3rd party case gets hot and the pad gets hot.

·
Super Moderator
1,599 Posts
iPhone 7 doesn't have inductive charging - it started with the 8 - so you must be using a charging case?

Otherwise the charging pad is just acting like an induction hob and toasting your phone which is a concern... ;)

·
Registered
Midnight 20” Charcoal July 21 vin 26xxx
518 Posts
iPhone 7 doesn't have inductive charging - it started with the 8 - so you must be using a charging case?

Otherwise the charging pad is just acting like an induction hob and toasting your phone which is a concern... ;)
yeah I find it strange that you can no longer turn the charging pad off. as I suspect. there are all sorts of possible problems like this that could be avoided.

·
Super Moderator
1,599 Posts
Unless they really did make a dogs dinner of it, I'm sure Byron either has a charging case or an iPhone 8 or later.

It'd be amazing if the charger would happily induction cook any metal object placed on it...

I'm tempted to go and have a play now with a little balti dish - maybe we can cook in the car 🤪

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
The 2 as a food truck! Free delivery!

You could even wear a tux for effect! And I'd bet most of you have cool accents, too.

'And small portions! All the really expensive restaurants give you small portions.

There's a niche here!

·
Super Moderator
1,599 Posts
I'm sorry to be the bearer of terrible news but... and yes, I am this sad... I have the following findings to report.

I just tried seven different ferrous objects on the charge pad - basically everything I could find that would physically fit.

I even armed myself with some black tape, my IR thermometer, and my phone to capture the event for posterity.

It didn't try to heat any of them :(

So Pole-inducto-balti-tapas-star is not going to be a successful venture.

·
Registered
Stock P*2 MDNT VIN: 011***
396 Posts
I just place my phone in that spot and the pad gets hot, as well as the phone. I know it doesn’t inductively charge but the car doesn’t. I also lose Bluetooth and get kicked out of the app at least once a day FFS.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I'm sorry to be the bearer of terrible news but... and yes, I am this sad... I have the following findings to report.

I just tried seven different ferrous objects on the charge pad - basically everything I could find that would physically fit.

I even armed myself with some black tape, my IR thermometer, and my phone to capture the event for posterity.

It didn't try to heat any of them :(

So Pole-inducto-balti-tapas-star is not going to be a successful venture.
You're too pessimistic. Think outside the box! How about trying out a few old smartphones? 'Might be one or two that could work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Intresting you bring this up. Most of the time my Iphone 11 pro charges but gets really really hot. I also experance the bluetooth cutting out which I suspect is due to the heat.
I wonder if the heat is due to both the keyless connection and main bluetooth being connected as well as the wireless charging. Seems like a lot for the phone to take all at the same time and for a long time.
On top of this the charging cuts in and out sometimes without the phone moving.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts