Polestar Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem but your poll is closed. My Samsung S10 is charging very slow and is overheating while charging. After arround 10% the charging completely stops because of the heat. I tested it in flight mode (no communication) and maximum energy save mode (no active apps) - same result. The dealer replaced the charger, which didn't solved the problem. They said that there where no issues at all so it has to be my phone. Can you update if they respond?
The S7 of my girlfriend charge normally btw.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the same issue with an iPhone 11 in our car. The phone got very hot but did not take a charge. We thought it was something related to the phone, until we had a loaner and it charged just fine. The service center said they did a software update that had a comment in the release notes about wireless charging. It seems to work a bit now, but still gets very warm and doesn't charge very quickly. Clearly, something is still not right.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Charging your phone via the QI pad in the Polestar 2 - or simply putting your non-QI phone on the charge mat - is a headache for many drivers. There are various reports of phones not charging and/or getting hot. We created a survey in the german forum to get a better understanding of the number of affected users and possible correlations to other factors like phone type, SW build, case, etc. to communicate to PS HQ through our channels.

Instead of recreating the poll here (not sure wheter a multidimensional poll is even possible here), I am posting the link to the german poll below. If the questions and answers are not clear, please manually gTranslate the page. You don't need an account, the survey is anonymous and the results will be published after evaluation.

Thanks in advance for participating!

My iPhone 11 charges just fine, but annoying the slot is too wide and so if the phone slides around it can stop charging.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can anyone tell me which QI pad Polestar uses?

My car came without and I'd like to add one. A how-to would be nice if available :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same issue with an iPhone 11 in our car. The phone got very hot but did not take a charge. We thought it was something related to the phone, until we had a loaner and it charged just fine. The service center said they did a software update that had a comment in the release notes about wireless charging. It seems to work a bit now, but still gets very warm and doesn't charge very quickly. Clearly, something is still not right.
I have the same problem - I have an iPhone 12 Pro and have noticed that it gets hot (not warm, but hot to the point that I am a bit concerned) and the phone barely charges. Tried it on a 1 hour Motorway journey the other day and the phone took 20% charge in that time and would have melted ice cubes when I removed it from the charging pad.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Can anyone tell me which QI pad Polestar uses?

My car came without and I'd like to add one. A how-to would be nice if available :)
It's not an off-the-shelf component. the wireless charger is a proprietary component manufactured for Volvo just like any other part of the car. I would suspect that even if you got yourself an OEM part, that it would not work as it would need to be activated through VIDA.

Something you could maybe do is find a good quality qi charger that has a good coupling range and figure out how to mount that in the charger location and wire it to the car yourself....

good luck

·
Registered
267 Posts
I use the wireless charger in mine for my Samsung S9+. It works fine. Does it get warm? Yep. But it does the same on the wireless charger I have at home, and the wireless charger I added to our V90cc.

·
Registered
2021 P2, Magnesium/Charcoal, non-pp, 19"
117 Posts
There are Polestar 2s that do NOT have the wireless charger?!
It's part of the plus package.

I use the wireless charger in mine for my Samsung S9+. It works fine. Does it get warm? Yep. But it does the same on the wireless charger I have at home, and the wireless charger I added to our V90cc.
And if I charge my Samsung Galaxy 21+ it becomes hot, quite a lot warmer than wireless charger at home, and in the car it will charge about 3% in an 1.5 hour drive.

·
Registered
267 Posts
And if I charge my Samsung Galaxy 21+ it becomes hot, quite a lot warmer than wireless charger at home, and in the car it will charge about 3% in an 1.5 hour drive.
Do you have a case on your phone? I don't, and mine charges normally. In a 1.5 hour drive I might get 30-40% charge.

·
Registered
822 Posts
There are Polestar 2s that do NOT have the wireless charger?!
Now that MY22 cars are being delivered, there will be more variance in what configurations people have, and therefore ask about. Gone are the days where we all have basically the same car with only one major variation (PP)..... Oh and of course headlight configuration.... You know all about that though 😉

Reactions: nbvolks

·
Registered
2021 P2, Magnesium/Charcoal, non-pp, 19"
117 Posts
Do you have a case on your phone? I don't, and mine charges normally. In a 1.5 hour drive I might get 30-40% charge.
I have a silicon cover, but it don't affect wireless charging at home at all, no difference with or without. I'll see next time I'm for a longer drive if I can remove the cover and test.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have a silicon cover, but it don't affect wireless charging at home at all, no difference with or without. I'll see next time I'm for a longer drive if I can remove the cover and test.
Yeah, give that a try. My wife has an iPhone 11 Pro Max and it will not wirelessly charge at all in the Polestar, with the cover on it.

·
Super Moderator
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I'm curious. Didn't make a difference for my Pixel 5 which works fine on other chargers with the cover.

Reactions: Belac
21 - 37 of 37 Posts