Polestar Forum banner
61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
But where should that duct mod get the cool air from? The only outlet in the center console is the one at the top of the dashboard behind the screen, and that's a long way from the wireless charger. Or perhaps you meant a combined duct and phone holder sitting beside the screen?
It's not going to be an easy it's for someone who is big on project I was thinking of finding a way to get a small duct from Central duct but yeah that will cause loss in aesthetic appeal or would need some cutting into dash (which I wouldn't advise). On the other hand mounting/sticking a flag wireless charger that can hold the phone in place (with clips) right next to center duct and connected through USB c in center with wire running behind the screen can be a good solution.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Or just plug the phone into the charge-only USB-C port and get high speed, more efficient wired charging. Probably easier. And of course the only way for me as I don't have a phone that wirelessly charges anyway. Makes it easy for me to say. ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Interesting this is, I had a perfectly functioning Samsung S7 which was 4 1/2 years old. I got my PS2 and within 3 weeks my phone overheated so badly on the charger pad that it actually popped and stopped working.
I thought this was just old-phone related but now I wonder.

·
Registered
523 Posts
iPhone 13 Pro; started drive with 88% battery, arrived one hour later with 85% and a very hot phone…
I’ve been using wireless charging for years (before I got the current phone), and it never reaches the temperatures it does with the wireless charging in the Polestar. And it charges very fast.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is a shame, I was hoping this was somehow related to my iPhone 11, as the shop assured me that it was working on the iPhone 12 they tested it with. I refuse to put my phone there anymore, as it gets too hot and never charges at all. Sure would be nice if we could get a recall going to fix this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
samsumg S20FE, works well on wireless chargers at home. Gets hot and just manages to hold the charge on the Mat.
:confused:

EDIT ;
Missus samsumg flip V1 charges really well, as fast as the home charger and doesn't get hot,

So it isn't the actual charger it self in my car.

Maybe the charge coil isn't in a good place for larger phones?

I have done what others have done and use a cord

·
Registered
2022 P2 Midnight
48 Posts
samsumg S20FE, works well on wireless chargers at home. Gets hot and just manages to hold the charge on the Mat.
:confused:
I guess if I log a fault they might retrospectively fix in the future :rolleyes:
My iPhone 12 Pro Max seems to do the same. It gets hot but never charges. I just use the cord now. BTW, I even took it out of the case and tried it with no joy.
Dave

·
Registered
471 Posts
My iPhone 12 Pro Max seems to do the same. It gets hot but never charges. I just use the cord now. BTW, I even took it out of the case and tried it with no joy.
Dave
I have a Mercedes GLE as well, they also have this same issue. Like you I just plug it in and use the charging pad for my wallet.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Pixel 4XL - gets hot as 🔥 and charges ridiculously slow. Clearly the charging bit is too far from the phone so things are struggling. I wish there was a way to disable wireless charging like we had in the early days, but putting my phone there upside down seems to be enough to prevent it from charging so it stays a normal temp.

·
Registered
278 Posts
iPhone 12 Pro user here. When I try to wirelessly charge in my P*2, my phone gets very hot and barely charges, if it does at all.

Unlike some other people reporting this issue, I don't know if my phone would work on another wireless charger. I've never tried it and don't have access to one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
For others with a Samsung phone try turning off , fast wireless charging, might help with the heat. But typically in those enclosed spaces especially and just wireless charging itself, they get hot but when they are really hot, phone will shutdown due to thermal sensor and major risk in damaging your phone.
This car is awesome cuz wirelessly, it can operate google maps which is a major plus for me. Hehe

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think many of the not charging issues is when phone is placed a bit wrong. There is a short edge in the bottom of the charge mat where it is mistakenly easy to place the phone on.
That's my experience as well, we need to slight nudge the phone a bit before the charge symbol appears in the top of the center screen.

·
Registered
278 Posts
That's my experience as well, we need to slight nudge the phone a bit before the charge symbol appears in the top of the center screen.
I don't this this is what people are complaining about. That the phone just won't charge wirelessly period, like it isn't activating the charge process.

People, including myself, are saying that the charge indicator is on, but the phone barely charges at all and gets very hot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't this this is what people are complaining about. That the phone just won't charge wirelessly period, like it isn't activating the charge process.

People, including myself, are saying that the charge indicator is on, but the phone barely charges at all and gets very hot.
I see, not good. I haven't seen that happen at my place (my P2 was ordered Aug 2020, delivered Jan 2021: added just if versions matter...don't have the VIN-no here and now).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I happened to notice this thread before my test drive last weekend. I charged my phone in the demo vehicle (2021 model, I believe) while we were sitting there discussing the car, and out driving around.

All of that only took maybe 40 minutes or so and when I took my phone off the charging pad, it was indeed very hot.

It's not a deal breaker for me but it would be nice to know if there was a fix for this.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I happened to notice this thread before my test drive last weekend. I charged my phone in the demo vehicle (2021 model, I believe) while we were sitting there discussing the car, and out driving around.

All of that only took maybe 40 minutes or so and when I took my phone off the charging pad, it was indeed very hot.

It's not a deal breaker for me but it would be nice to know if there was a fix for this.
Update v2.2 apparently contains wireless charging improvements for iPhone owners. I don't have 2.2 yet, so I can't speak to how it works with my iPhone 12 Pro. My phone also currently gets very hot and doesn't charge much at all.

61 - 80 of 118 Posts