Polestar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for starting another thread - please let me know if one already exists and I'll delete.

I wanted to start this topic for people who've had their test drive but had some questions about the drive that couldn't be answered by the agent.

Here are mine:
1) The accelerator pedal felt like it had a big dead zone when you first start pressing it. Since it was my first time driving it, I pressed it slowly but I was surprised at how far I had to press before it actually starting picking up. Have other people noticed this?

2) I was told the car turns off when the driver exits the car - how do I keep the climate system on for passengers (or was the person mistaken)?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sorry for starting another thread - please let me know if one already exists and I'll delete.

I wanted to start this topic for people who've had their test drive but had some questions about the drive that couldn't be answered by the agent.

Here are mine:
1) The accelerator pedal felt like it had a big dead zone when you first start pressing it. Since it was my first time driving it, I pressed it slowly but I was surprised at how far I had to press before it actually starting picking up. Have other people noticed this?

2) I was told the car turns off when the driver exits the car - how do I keep the climate system on for passengers (or was the person mistaken)?
Re #1 - I tested the different driving settings across now multiple test drives. I'm pretty much settled that I'll use Standard OPD (no Creep) for city and twisty/hilly road driving; and I'll use OPD Off, Creep On for the highway to simulate an automatic transmission (and for likely better efficiency).
With those settings, I don't perceive too much dead zone. On the highway I find the mapping really matches my expectations well coming from an ICE with automatic transmission. And I really like however they implemented OPD so not going to complain there.

Re #2, it's kind of a hack but Bjorn just buckled the driver's seatbelt in and that seems to allow for continued climate control. If it's not already out I imagine enabling a "family/pets still in the car" setting will be coming out in a future patch.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yes, the 'dead zone' is two fold. First it ensures you don't go plowing into the car in front of you when you tap the accelerator. The car has so much torque it could be very difficult to control in low speed situations with tight manuvering, many Tesla drivers complain of this. The second reason is to conserve energy, the slower you accelerate, the less energy you use getting up to speed.

There is a pets in the car setting called Reduced Guard or something like that but it just turns off the motion sensor inside so they don't trigger the alarm.

If you aren't going to be ages, you probably don't need to leave climate on as the insulation of the car seems really good. Otherwise, seatbelt trick.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
I suspect that the long dead zone is necessary to allow braking space for one pedal driving.

For example, first 30% of pedal travel reserved for controlling the braking with OPD, the remainder for acceleration.

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yeah I noticed the accelerator wasn’t very sensitive in the first bit of travel - especially compared to my previous car - but tbh I used to find that a bit awkward to modulate speed at low speed (it was a DCT with lots of torque).

So it didn’t bother me in the polestar: got used to it quite quickly on the test drive.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The 'dead zone' really helps not to leave rubber on the road everytime you start from a stand-still ;) It's all a matter of muscle memory, you will get used to it quickly.

When you (or a passenger) are actually sitting in the car, you will be asked whether you want to turn off the car every 15min. The seat belt trick is only needed when you want to sleep in the car or until PS releases a camp/dog mode update OTA. Oh, wait a minute...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts