Polestar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Monday and again today (Wednesday 7th April 2021) my Polestar 2 experienced power steering failure. On both occasions the car was coming to a halt/stopped. The steering wheel became difficult/impossible to turn and a message on the dash said “Power Steering Failure”. Unfortunately on both occasions there were cars behind so I had to sort the problem quickly rather than explore what was happening. I got out of the car and locked the door (as this is the only way I know to turn the car off) then got back in and everything was fine (my thinking was, this car is a computer so do what I do when my computer locks up - turn off and then turn on)

Is this a known fault? Has any body else experienced power steering failure?

·
Registered
P2 Snow non-PP w/tow hook
50 Posts
I got out of the car and locked the door (as this is the only way I know to turn the car off) then got back in
Press and hold the play/pause button in the center console to turn it off, alternatively, it's also in the car menu in the infotainment system on the "more" page

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK that is helpful. Then having turned the car off how do I turn it on without moving from the drivers seat?

·
Registered
2021 2
2,085 Posts
First I’d definitely let CS know about this. Do you have an idea about what software version you’re on?

to restart the car after shutting it down, try putting it into reverse or drive

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I now know how to turn the car off and on without leaving the driver's seat - just touch the pause/play button to turn it back on.

The car is on the latest software. CS are aware and the car is booked into the local Volvo dealer for Monday of next week for them to investigate.

The first time the problem happened my wife was driving the car on her own (for the first time) so possibly that is why I didn't take it too seriously, even though it shook her up a bit! When it did it today I was driving. Hopefully if it does it again I won't be blocking a road with cars behind unable to pass, so can I can spend some time investigating.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hmm, in a normal car I'd check the power steering fluid level, I assume it's hidden under plastic somewhere in the front. Perhaps it's a bit low causing an overheat warning but that's pure speculation. Will be eager to hear what the service folks say. Some google searches showed Volvo does have occasional issues with leaky power steering, which means we could as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hmm, in a normal car I'd check the power steering fluid level, I assume it's hidden under plastic somewhere in the front. Perhaps it's a bit low causing an overheat warning but that's pure speculation. Will be eager to hear what the service folks say. Some google searches showed Volvo does have occasional issues with leaky power steering, which means we could as well.
There will be no fluid. Power steering is direct drive electric, I think.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: On Monday morning (yesterday) the power steering failed again and this time it stayed failed even when I turned the car off and back on again. I drove to work without power steering then later in the morning took it as arranged to the local Volvo garage. Two hours later they rang me to say that it was all sorted. I was told it had been a software issue that was cured when they reloaded the software. I collected the care and everything was fine until this morning (Tuesday) when it failed again and stayed failed. It is now back with the Volvo dealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts