Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night at about 9:30pm I put the car on to charge to 100%, as I have a long journey coming up today. It finished charging at about 11, but I've noticed that even now (nearly 11am) it's still taking quite a lot of power from the house mains. My smart power meter display is showing alternating between about 200W (our house at idle is about 160W) and 1kW (!) which tells me it's taking lots of little spikes of power. I assume it's keeping the battery at the optimum temperature which I know the latest update was set to do when charging to 90% or 100% on a.c., but surely you'd have thought they'd have had enough sense to stop it doing it after a couple of hours?

This means that basically it's been maintaining battery temperature since 11pm last night which is a ridiculous waste of power. If I'd had timed charging (also promised last summer with delivery...) then I could have set it to start charging at about 9am, but then my cheap rate is 9:30pm-2:30am so I have a choice - charge with cheap rate, or charge leading up to leaving.

This is pretty rubbish :( Any suggestions, other than either a smart Ohme cable (not an option as I have a tethered 7kW charger) or replacing the charger (would never repay for itself anyway)?

I've dropped CS a line too.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Charge to 80% over night then start charging again 2 hours before you need to leave in the morning ?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Do you have climate on?

My charger power goes to a few watt when charging is finished for about 10 minutes, then to zero. I don't think it is the car.

·
Super Moderator
1,287 Posts
The battery is only heated once per charging cycle until it reaches the target temperature and a second time, if timed pre-conditiong is set. With outside temps > 18° I wouldn't expect any heating at all when charging to 100%.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
I've got a separate power meter on mine and I often glance at it while walking by. I haven't seen this.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I charged mine to 100% prior to a long trip. It stopped at 100% with no additional drain as far as I could see. In the morning I had to pick up some stuff and did a short drive. 5 minutes or so. Still indicated 100% when I got back. Set it to charge when I came home, just because.
Charging started at 11 kW and maintained that charging speed for the 30 minutes before we took off.
It charged way more than what I used for the short drive, and way more than any preconditioning should use.
Initial power use was as usual when we started the drive.

So when is 100% 100%?

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, there was nothing else in the house that would be using that kind of power and it's never ever happened in the house previously - the only difference is that the car was plugged in. Thomas Ingenlath confirmed that the car would pre-heat the battery when charging to 90% or 100% on a.c. and would keep it up to temperature when plugged in, so I'm 99.9% sure that's what happened. It's also only done it since I had the latest software update a couple of weeks ago as previously it never did this.

So I'm certain it's the car. Could someone who has the latest software update try charging to 100% and leave it there for a few hours afterwards and see if it takes power from the charger in the background?

·
Super Moderator
1,229 Posts
So I'm certain it's the car.
I think this is quite normal - you charge to 100% and then the battery cools a bit / chemistry settles / whatever...

There's a bit of hysteresis, then it charges again for a little bit.

People would be moaning if they set the car to charge to 100% and came out to 99% or whatever. It's a lose-lose situation.

Have you measured how much energy it's actually using cumulatively? It might well be drawing 1kW but if it's only for a few seconds, it's immaterial?

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
I really don't think there's enough power used after charging that it should show up on your house draw.

I've recorded KWh after charging to full and then looked hours later and there's no change to 1/100th of a KWh.

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, nothing in the house was taking power. The only things that could take 800W would have to be in the kitchen (no fan heaters anywhere), the wife was in the shower and I was standing next to the meter so I'm absolutely positive nothing else was doing anything. Anyway, despite a 350 mile trip over the last 24 hours, free charging at BP Pulse and Tesco PodPoint means I'm back with 37% which will take me to the next free charging at BP Pulse 7kW chargers in the car park in Warwick, where I have a free EV parking permit for when I'm in work next, so it could be months before I need to charge to 100% again! It should do the same at 90% though.

To be clear, it didn't do this before the current software update.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
This isn't America you know - we're civilised here 🤪
For the record, that's a huge opening for remarks and I'm restraining myself.

The problem is that I'd intend them to be humorous, but they might not be taken that way.

'Love you guys.

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After the car has charged to 90% for free on a BP Pulse charger tomorrow at work, I'll plug it in tomorrow night to top back up to 90% and see if it's still taking power in the morning. I'm expecting it will be ...

·
Registered
131 Posts
I charged mine to 100% today. Connection light on the car showed green even if charging was stopped. Checked the total consumption in the house, then disconnected the charging cable. Checked total consumption again.
No change, so my car is not pulling any amps when it is done charging.

·
Registered
600 Posts
After charging to 90% last night, you can see that the car occasionally pulls a very small amount of charge (as reported by my EVSE). But it looks like it is just a few watts (scale is 1000s of watts [kW]).

I’m on a 240V single phase 50 amp circuit (drawing max 40 amps).

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
With outside temps > 18° I wouldn't expect any heating at all when charging to 100%.
This is a key point. If it's hot outside the battery temp should remain pretty warm too and not require any heating. Unless the battery is being cooled just so it can be heated again -- which would be absurd of course.

Thomas Ingenlath confirmed that the car would pre-heat the battery when charging to 90% or 100% on a.c. and would keep it up to temperature when plugged in, so I'm 99.9% sure that's what happened.
Well if they got this right then the entire issue of using gobs of power every time you venture out would disappear. But of course it hasn't.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts