Polestar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the Polestar 2 has leapt to the top of my shortlist after a recent test drive. One of the reasons it is on the shortlist is a tow bar with enough nose weight to carry two e-bikes. Before I order, could those of you who have experience with carrying tow bar mounted bikes on the Polestar answer the following two questions:

1. What is the hit to consumption at motorway speed?
2. Is it a hassle to charge with the rack fitted? Are the cables generally long enough when reversing into a charging bay?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
1. No idea ... however did take on a 17 mile trip and consumption was the same (I do this trip weekly) ... although was going 20-50mph max.

2. No idea. However will be very dependant on where you go. There is no way in hell a MFG charger will reach as it barely reaches without a bike rack. However I think I could get an Instavolt to reach.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
All depends on what you get, but I don't feel that a Bike rack will lose you that much based on my very short range experience. Maybe this October I may take on a longer trip away and know for sure.

·
Registered
Stock P*2 MDNT VIN: 011***
371 Posts
I think this question is best answered by a visit to a space to see the hitch for yourself and charging port placement. And a search for bikes will turn up a dozen or more posts. Yes it’s practical and a main selling point over the Model 3. I don’t know how you would measure the affect on range unless their very heavy ebikes. I wouldn’t worry about it. The towing capacity was initially heavily marketed by Polestar. Search for that too.

·
Registered
450 Posts
So the Polestar 2 has leapt to the top of my shortlist after a recent test drive. One of the reasons it is on the shortlist is a tow bar with enough nose weight to carry two e-bikes. Before I order, could those of you who have experience with carrying tow bar mounted bikes on the Polestar answer the following two questions:

2. Is it a hassle to charge with the rack fitted? Are the cables generally long enough when reversing into a charging bay?
Nose weight of the tow hitch was also a factor for me in going for Polestar 2 instead of some of the other options available at the time. I have regularly taken two bikes with me on long trips this summer and found the impact on consumption minimal (5 - 10%, which is within the margin of error in calculating consumption anyway). I did have to get a bit creative with some charging stalls and needed my passenger's help to park the car as close as possible to the stall, but surprisingly, most charging stations were quite okay in terms of accessibility with a bike rack on.

·
Registered
Void non-PP Tow Bar
302 Posts
1. I can't be exact, as my only long journey I had a roof box as well as 4 bikes and a car rammed to the ceiling with 'stuff'. I was getting around 37-39KWh/100miles. I normally average around 31-32ish
2. That mainly depends on the charging station setup. I charged at ionity in Perth without any issue, the cables were long enough and the spaces were large enough to accommodate the car and bikes. I also charged a couple of time in Aviemore and the charger was set back and the spaces had room for the bikes to 'overhang' the space at the back.
There are some charging bays that are a struggle to plug in even without anything on the back, as the cables aren't very long. Luck of the draw I would say.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nose weight of the tow hitch was also a factor for me in going for Polestar 2 instead of some of the other options available at the time. I have regularly taken two bikes with me on long trips this summer and found the impact on consumption minimal (5 - 10%, which is within the margin of error in calculating consumption anyway). I did have to get a bit creative with some charging stalls and needed my passenger's help to park the car as close as possible to the stall, but surprisingly, most charging stations were quite okay in terms of accessibility with a bike rack on.
Thanks, that is really helpful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1. I can't be exact, as my only long journey I had a roof box as well as 4 bikes and a car rammed to the ceiling with 'stuff'. I was getting around 37-39KWh/100miles. I normally average around 31-32ish
2. That mainly depends on the charging station setup. I charged at ionity in Perth without any issue, the cables were long enough and the spaces were large enough to accommodate the car and bikes. I also charged a couple of time in Aviemore and the charger was set back and the spaces had room for the bikes to 'overhang' the space at the back.
There are some charging bays that are a struggle to plug in even without anything on the back, as the cables aren't very long. Luck of the draw I would say.....
That’s good to know. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
10 Posts
1. I rode with 2 regular mountain bikes mounted on (Thule easyfold) stand on holiday this summer and noted no noticeable increase in consumption at 110 km / h (68 miles / h). Your bikes are probably significantly heavier but it is probably the air resistance that is first and foremost the deciding factor.

2. Only when I could not drive next to the charging point but had to back in then it got a little worse. It was then quickly half a meter longer distance to the charger but worked fine only with a little tight cable. This will of course vary depending on which charger you use.

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Magnesium, Slate WeaveTech, 19", no PP, Tow bar. Pickup end of December.
36 Posts
1. I did only a few longer trips so far and there doesn't seem to be a very noticeable difference. I have a Thule rack for two electric Canyon gravel bikes (Grail:ON) on the back. They aren't any wider than the car, so nothing sticks out.

2. Reversing back is just a little bit more difficult as the camera is blocked and the image isn't very helpful. Sensors also doesn't work so well when the rack is mounted. Cables for charging is a bit hit and miss. Some are long enough, some are even difficult with no rack attached. I mostly charge type 2 when I am out riding for a few hours, so that's not a problem with the Polestar cable. I only fast charge when I go really far and there's no type 2 at destination.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many thanks. The most challenging use case I have is to take car and bikes from the UK to the Costa Brava in Spain so a long motorway trip through France. Encouraging that people are not reporting any significant hit to efficiency and that Ionity cables are long enough. Sounds doable.

·
Super Moderator
1,510 Posts
Most Ionity stalls I have visited up to now (actually all except one) are build in between the charging bays so a) you don't have to reverse in and b) cable length will not be an issue.

Sky Plant Cloud Tree Road surface

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most Ionity stalls I have visited up to now (actually all except one) are build in between the charging bays so a) you don't have to reverse in and b) cable length will not be an issue.

View attachment 7500
Thank you. My only experience of using Ionity in the UK has required reversing into a bay. The arrangement you show is far more flexible but I guess some sites have space constraints.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts