Polestar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my new Polestar 2 was delivered about 2 weeks ago. After driving it for an hour or so I recharged it 80% as advised and did not leave it plugged in.
After about 3 or 4 days i tried to used the car and it was stone dead. Polestar sent a flat bed truck with instructions
to jump start the car. It was a real pain to reach the 12 volt battery leads because you had to remove the cover.
It started and was towed back to Polestar service. They said the problem was with the 12 volt battery because the
cars sat in the port for a long time and the battery discharged more than expected.
They sent back the car on a flat bed truck but when it arrived it could not put into gear and backed off the truck
so back it went to service and that's where its. This just happened before the New Year weekend so i don't expect
to hear any thing till Monday.
Wondering if any body has had a similar issue.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
This has happened a lot to our European (and U.K.) counterparts.

The bad news is that it happened to you. The good news is that Polestar knows how to fix it. IIRC, it needs more than a simple jump. I hope they get you sorted soon.

Reactions: polerad

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,888 Posts
That sounds like the car hasn't had the latest software put on it to improve the 12V battery handling. It could be a couple of things though, so just to check - did it at any point run the battery cooling fans at top whack (far more noisy than just the normal cabin fans, more like a jet fighter trying to take off from the outside)? If so then it needs a recall for faulty inverters and/or High Voltage Coolant Heater parts. However we're all under the impression that no vehicles in the US need these fixes.

The more likely option is that these cars still have an early version of the Infotainment software which means the car doesn't shut down properly so it simply flattens its 12V battery after a couple of days. They should have updated all the software on the car before you received it but it's possible this wasn't done properly. The best thing they can do is update the software, if they can't find a specific hardware fault.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds like the car hasn't had the latest software put on it to improve the 12V battery handling. It could be a couple of things though, so just to check - did it at any point run the battery cooling fans at top whack (far more noisy than just the normal cabin fans, more like a jet fighter trying to take off from the outside)? If so then it needs a recall for faulty inverters and/or High Voltage Coolant Heater parts. However we're all under the impression that no vehicles in the US need these fixes.

The more likely option is that these cars still have an early version of the Infotainment software which means the car doesn't shut down properly so it simply flattens its 12V battery after a couple of days. They should have updated all the software on the car before you received it but it's possible this wasn't done properly. The best thing they can do is update the software, if they can't find a specific hardware fault.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Thank you that makes sense. How the next issue not being able to shift into gear.

·
Super Moderator
2,888 Posts
That's a fairly typical symptom of a mostly-flat 12V battery - basically everything will misbehave.

·
Registered
4 Posts
my new Polestar 2 was delivered about 2 weeks ago. After driving it for an hour or so I recharged it 80% as advised and did not leave it plugged in.
After about 3 or 4 days i tried to used the car and it was stone dead. Polestar sent a flat bed truck with instructions
to jump start the car. It was a real pain to reach the 12 volt battery leads because you had to remove the cover.
It started and was towed back to Polestar service. They said the problem was with the 12 volt battery because the
cars sat in the port for a long time and the battery discharged more than expected.
They sent back the car on a flat bed truck but when it arrived it could not put into gear and backed off the truck
so back it went to service and that's where its. This just happened before the New Year weekend so i don't expect
to hear any thing till Monday.
I had my car delivered last week. No problem. This week I tried the car....completely dead. Car was on the driveway and hooked up to my home charger (32Amp / 230v). Same problem: drained 12v battery. The local ANWB helped me to recharge so I could drive to the local Volvo dealer. And after a few days they still don’t know what the problem is. They are working with head office to figure it out. Apparently this is not so clear. Hope they are able to find a “smoking gun”. Reading through the forum I am not the only one.

·
Super Moderator
2,888 Posts
Welome @Hans to the forum! Sorry to hear you've suffered the mysterious flat 12V battery problem too. It's completely ridiculous that this should happen anyway, let alone when it's connected up to a charger! Is your home charger a timed one, or permanent 230V supply?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welome @Hans to the forum! Sorry to hear you've suffered the mysterious flat 12V battery problem too. It's completely ridiculous that this should happen anyway, let alone when it's connected up to a charger! Is your home charger a timed one, or permanent 230V supply?
Thanks. Agree this should not happen. I activate the charger with a keycard. Once one, it stays activated till I disconnect the car from the charger. I also saw a thread in the form about the pop-up message that the requires maintenance on the electric propulsion. Not sure if this can be related? I received this message last Friday and the car continued to work normal. They are aware at Volvo about this. Hope they can fix it and find a cause.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I also had this same issue, and my service station is 700 miles away. I am on the Dec SW version, so I think the issue is bigger than the notion that SW has fixed it. It is such a black eye on this company.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also had this same issue, and my service station is 700 miles away. I am on the Dec SW version, so I think the issue is bigger than the notion that SW has fixed it. It is such a black eye on this company.
Mine only 7 miles. But that’s about the only advantage. Have my P2 in the workshop for a week now and they still don’t know what’s wrong. Not sure what SW version but they told me the was up to date. Turning into a bit more than a black eye.

·
Super Moderator
2,888 Posts
I do worry that this isn't a faulty part, as such, but actually a design problem that they need to fix. Reproducing it without logs is going to be a nightmare; hopefully the various ECUs store logs of errors and problems, even if they're not directly accessible via OBD2.

·
Super Moderator
1,397 Posts
Dec SW? Wasn't aware there's anything newer than the Nov. Software. Maybe Nov. SW installed in Dec.? What does the infotainement system screen say?

·
Registered
2021 2
2,602 Posts
Is your car still being transported? Any updates from that?

And Dec software? does the "About" screen say "December 1" for you? Mine says "November 1"; I didn't realize there might be newer software...

·
Super Moderator
2,888 Posts
I think Polestar refer to the update given in December as "the December software" even though the Android Security Patch is 1 November. From this page, it looks like it was rolled out starting 8th December: Software Updates Log

·
Registered
201 Posts
Is your car still being transported? Any updates from that?

And Dec software? does the "About" screen say "December 1" for you? Mine says "November 1"; I didn't realize there might be newer software...
The car was picked up last Friday, and according to the guy towing he was leaving at that very moment. They've had for close to a week now, and not surprisingly I haven't heard a damn word. In terms of SW I think @rgledhill has it right. I haven't been behind the wheel of the car since Christmas, so can't confirm. I do have preconditioning scheduling, and as I understood it that SW build supposedly fixed some of the 12v shit that people are experiencing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do worry that this isn't a faulty part, as such, but actually a design problem that they need to fix. Reproducing it without logs is going to be a nightmare; hopefully the various ECUs store logs of errors and problems, even if they're not directly accessible via OBD2.
My P2 is back on the driveway. They identified the problem as a faulty connector. Two of the pins where not clamped tight enough and showed an intermittent connection. I took the car for a 40km drive and it looks ok. Fingers crossed 🤞.

·
Super Moderator
2,888 Posts
My P2 is back on the driveway. They identified the problem as a faulty connector. Two of the pins where not clamped tight enough and showed an intermittent connection. I took the car for a 40km drive and it looks ok. Fingers crossed 🤞.
Excellent, very pleased to hear it (y) :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts