33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's my stats:

Miles completed: 500
Weeks owned: 3
Trips to volvo garage: 2
Loan cars: 1

My VIN is 86xx

Car had an amber warning yesterday and off it went on a tow truck to volvo garage. Been in all day today and no updates on what the issue is or how long it will take to fix. Anyone had a similar issue?

I like the car, but I'm very disappointed with the reliability.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Unfortunately your VIN puts you on the line between cars that had the inverter issue / 12V issues and one's that seem to have only minor tech issues (like 4G)

There is a group of you out there, however there is a larger group of people like myself that had almost no issues, and the one's we have were very minor.

So there is hope yours can get fixed and join the ranks of "extremely minor issues"

·
Registered
Thunder, non PP, towbar
109 Posts
Was the car incapacitated? I only ask because I had this notification several times but it never prevented the car from being driven.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have also seen this notification flash up a few times. I am not going to bother getting the car dealt with at the moment (I am hardly likely to go anywhere during the lockdown).
From observation it seems that this error is related to recent charging activity. I have seen it after charging to 100% and 90% and assumed it might be something to do with SoC. However, on the same day as the charges mention above (with a SoC around 50%) I saw the message again after starting the car following a 2-3 hour pause. I have not charged recently but during my recent short journeys with a SoC between 80% and 50% I have not seen the message.
Certainly does not seem to affect the car - driving, performance, etc. is as normal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was the car incapacitated? I only ask because I had this notification several times but it never prevented the car from being driven.
No it kept driving, in hindsight I wonder whether it would have been better to keep going and see if went away! I have since spoken to the garage who said it is something to do with the wiring to a motor being loose.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have also seen this notification flash up a few times. I am not going to bother getting the car dealt with at the moment (I am hardly likely to go anywhere during the lockdown).
From observation it seems that this error is related to recent charging activity. I have seen it after charging to 100% and 90% and assumed it might be something to do with SoC. However, on the same day as the charges mention above (with a SoC around 50%) I saw the message again after starting the car following a 2-3 hour pause. I have not charged recently but during my recent short journeys with a SoC between 80% and 50% I have not seen the message.
Certainly does not seem to affect the car - driving, performance, etc. is as normal.
Mine happened with about 50 percent charge on Tuesday afternoon. Came up twice and still drove. I had my wife and daughter in the car so I couldn't give it some beans to see if the drive was affected. At normal speeds it seemed fine.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,871 Posts
No it kept driving, in hindsight I wonder whether it would have been better to keep going and see if went away! I have since spoken to the garage who said it is something to do with the wiring to a motor being loose.
Same happened to me after 1 day of ownership back in the days of yore (October).
Took Volvo Stourbridge 5 days of checking software to eventually get to the loose wire issue. So in essence I have personally saved your car.
BTW Volvo Stourbridge are great.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Same happened to me after 1 day of ownership back in the days of yore (October).
Took Volvo Stourbridge 5 days of checking software to eventually get to the loose wire issue. So in essence I have personally saved your car.
BTW Volvo Stourbridge are great.
Thanks dave, I'll let the Volvo garage know! Well that is positive that they have located the issue quickly. Did it take long to fix after identification? Going back to a petrol is unenjoyable!

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,871 Posts
Thanks dave, I'll let the Volvo garage know! Well that is positive that they have located the issue quickly. Did it take long to fix after identification? Going back to a petrol is unenjoyable!
From memory I think it was a very quick job once identified. You may get it back today.
Where is your Volvo dealership?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From memory I think it was a very quick job once identified. You may get it back today.
Where is your Volvo dealership?
Excellent news, looking forward to getting it back! It's City Motors Bristol who have been pretty helpful.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Excellent news, looking forward to getting it back! It's City Motors Bristol who have been pretty helpful.
Great news - my car will have to go to City Motors Bristol, so if they have already encountered the problem then hopefully they will know what to do. Are garages open at the moment?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great news - my car will have to go to City Motors Bristol, so if they have already encountered the problem then hopefully they will know what to do. Are garages open at the moment?
City motors Bristol is open. Yes hopefully they will have encountered it, assuming it relates to the same issue! But I suspect they will still need to have back and forth with the polestar technical desk (which is what I believe happened with mine)

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Should this happen to me I have to consider how not to be an internet know it all. Perhaps I’ll just print out a copy of the thread and nonchalantly leave it on the seat?

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Should this happen to me I have to consider how not to be an internet know it all. Perhaps I’ll just print out a copy of the thread and nonchalantly leave it on the seat?
In all seriousness, you might compile some of the posts to give them a heads up of what others have found. As long as it's concise and to the point, I bet you most service techs would appreciate that. And, yes, you'd also be giving them a heads up that you're informed and that wouldn't hurt.

·
Super Moderator
1,365 Posts
I always leave a note in the car that looks like an excerpt from War and Peace...

I think it a) makes it clear to them that you know what you're talking about which will reduce the possibility of being 'fobbed off' b) might save them some aggro and speed up the diagnosis

If we've gone to the trouble of researching stuff, it seems daft keeping it to ourselves!

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,888 Posts
Hmmm.... well... it very, VERY much depends on the individual.

A chap with a recurring battery charging problem with a Kona Electric did masses of research at various rapid chargers, with data logs and everything, and essentially proved that the coolant system on the battery had failed. He gave them the graphs, the logs and the explanation. The "expert" Hyundai chap was, unfortunately, caught on the internal dashcam which he hadn't noticed was still enabled, and was seen and heard on the phone to his boss saying how pathetic it was that the owner had provided all the data, chucked it on the seat without looking at it, then proceeded to suggest throwing the dealer under the bus and blamed the problem on them. He ended up describing Kona Electric owners as "Sad Anal Wa****s" and his boss on the other end of the phone agreed!

In the end, Hyundai bought the car back off him when some rather better engineers diagnosed... a failed battery coolant system.

So the moral of the tale is - never have faith in people who feel their job or ego is threatened by knowledgeable owners. Sadly the vast majority of dealership engineers hate knowledgeable customers as it makes them feel insecure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thought I'd update. Got my car back last Monday 11th January. They said they ran tests, couldn't see any issue etc and the warning had gone away so all seems fine. I got the error back today and it's going back in next week. I'm getting a bit tired of messing around going in and out of a garage to be honest, not really what I signed up for with a new car. Only had it a month and this will be the third visit to a garage! Are many others getting this error message?

·
Registered
2021 2
2,602 Posts
Thought I'd update. Got my car back last Monday 11th January. They said they ran tests, couldn't see any issue etc and the warning had gone away so all seems fine. I got the error back today and it's going back in next week. I'm getting a bit tired of messing around going in and out of a garage to be honest, not really what I signed up for with a new car. Only had it a month and this will be the third visit to a garage! Are many others getting this error message?
honestly seems like you got a lemon. I, and I think most others, haven’t had such issues. My only service calls related to tires (getting all seasons fitted) and getting the Nov software update before the OTAs went out.

In your shoes I’d explore getting them to replace your car with a new one. Take as much documentation as you can of your issue since their first reaction will be to try and “fix” it. I’d take the tack that you’re done expending any more time, money, and energy on the car and it’s their’s to deal with from here.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks polerad, yes I thought many others haven't had this issue. It's a lease car (company car) so I'm going to explore options tomorrow. I just can't be fannying around at the garage every week swapping baby seat in and out etc. Takes time out of the day and if I wanted to be in an out of the garage I could get a banger for the cost of one month's payment.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts