Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
P2, non-PP, Void, Tow Bar
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my P2 has given me a ‘Propulsion System Service Required’ notification over two separate days in the last two weeks. On both days, it was present from the first drive and appeared each time the car started, and reappeared several times that day. There were no performance issues and the error cleared after processing ‘OK’.

I rarely charge to 100%, but on these days I did. I have charged it one other time to 100% with no error.

The car is booked in with Volvo on Wednesday, I’ll update.

Very odd!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I got this too, one day, three times. Have never seen it back since. And I had NOT charged to 100%

·
Registered
223 Posts
I got this after charging to 100% on a cold (sub-freezing) day. As of today it had stopped throwing up the alert. I contacted Polestar customer support (i.e., Alane), who said that this was a known problem when the battery is cold. But now I wonder if it's "charge to 100%" problem. In any case, at his advice I've continued to drive it with no difficulty.

·
Registered
2021 2
1,755 Posts
In the interest of wild speculation based on limited data, I'm going to throw out there that I think this is related to coldgating.
At lower temps, the battery management system's estimation of battery internal resistance w.r.t. SOC goes wonky (technically speaking). As SOC gets closer to 100% internal resistance goes high for charging certainly, but also for discharging too I bet.
So the same reason why the system's kW is limited during cold gated charging is why there's a low kW output 'propulsion error' when things are cold and the battery is more full up.

Or something like that.

it probably makes more sense in my sleep-deprived head than in what I'm writing down

But, if they fix cold gating and battery pre-heating on demand, maybe that'll fix this too!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was wondering if it was something like that. But I'm not a EE, so batteries are gray magic to me :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
And I wonder if maybe I DID charge to 100% that day. Maybe accidentally. I don't remember doing it though.

·
Registered
Polestar 2, VIN 088xx, 4 november 2020
23 Posts
A week ago i had the same message after the car refused to go Drive modus. After a major update at Volvo i’ve never seen the message again..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Had the same thing a week ago, polestar took it in via volvo and a week later gave me the car back without finding anything wrong with it. They remote accessed the car twice and checked the recalls etc. The mech also took it out for a drive and said it drives like a polestar so it looks like a software glitch which is nothing to worry about

·
Registered
Midnight Charcoal non-PP Towbar
85 Posts
I had this since the November update.. it carried on driving fine but CS insisted on Volvo checking it.. now on the December software and it hasn’t done it again (yet)..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE - I took my P2 to Volvo today. After an initial diagnostic, they shared the results with Polestar who instructed them to undertake a physical review of the battery. This, I am told, involves removing a ‘substantial’ proportion of the interior. I’m now in a XC90 demonstrator until this is resolved. Let’s wait and see, but this is sounding a bit more serious than I was hoping. Hummmmm

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE 2 - quite the anticlimax (which is a good thing!) P2 is back today after one night. It was blamed on no more than a software glitch. I’m now on Android 10. First observations are 4G is now LTE, and the cameras seem sharper. Range improvements TBC.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Update for my issue, I got a phone call from volvo asking if there were any more problems, and I said no. The guy told me in that case give the dealership a call if I have any more issues as there maybe some work to and he can get the part on order before taking the car in but doesn't want to inconvenience me if its working fine.

So could be another recall in the pipeline perhaps

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
‘Propulsion System, Service Required’ greeted me again this morning. First time since it was in the garage last week at which it was updated to Android 10.

It was the first time I’ve charged to 100%, since last time the error occurred with Android 9.

I’m thinking I’m just going to ignore it this time.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I would. This time.

·
Registered
399 Posts
My wife got this error today, 15 mins after leaving the Volvo Service. She had driven 35 mins to volvo service, had them check out a missing lug to hold the driver floor mat in place we found while installing the rubber floor mats we finally received that were missing from delivery - they can't fix without removing the carpet (joy!) so have to reschedule.

She then drove 10 mins, got a call that was important for work so pulled off the road into a parking lot for 30 mins, then got the propulsion warning when starting back up to drive another 40 mins home. Car worked fine, but troubling. We are on latest Android 10 and have never charged to 100%. We do 90% each night and car was around 70% when this happened.

·
Registered
399 Posts
‘Propulsion System, Service Required’ greeted me again this morning. First time since it was in the garage last week at which it was updated to Android 10.

It was the first time I’ve charged to 100%, since last time the error occurred with Android 9.

I’m thinking I’m just going to ignore it this time.
What is your VIN range, in case this is an issue with a set of cars? I'm 8***

·
Registered
399 Posts
I would. This time.
In the U.S., or certainly in California, I would not ignore it - an issue repeated several times that can't be fixed qualifies you for the lemon law.

Coming from a Land Rover where this situation occurred (and they were quite good about replacing the car I have to say, with their manager being to one to inform me of the law after I'd been in 10 times), having formal records of any issue can be helpful down the road if it turns into more than a "software glitch" (which sure sounds the same as BS to me).

Also, the first date you take the car in for the issue that can't ultimately be fixed, is the date they eventually have to credit you back the value of the car... so don't delay with any new issue that pops up or it could cost you down the road. This is one of those laws that really does help to protect consumers.

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,025 Posts
If I’m reading my VIN right, I’m in the range 01***
I wasn't aware that any cars in the UK have that low a VIN? Are you sure it's not 01xxxx, i.e. in the ten thousands range? If your car was delivered after early September, it shouldn't be a 001xxx (1000-2000).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts