Polestar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a test drive of the Polestar 2 on Friday and today had a drive with the Kia e-Niro (as the BEV version is called here). It's not as extraordinary as you may think to compare these two. The e-Niro fully equipped comes in around €50K whereas the Polestar is €60k. Put differently, it's the difference between the Mach E standard or extended range.

The Kia feels like a much bigger car. It's 10cm higher than the Polestar. But strangely, it's more than 20cm shorter. The booth is supposed to be 10% larger (no frunk standard) but it didn't look that way. It's not as deep as the Polestar's, but you can stack your luggage higher.

On the inside, it's more open but it feels more crowded. It's a space full of buttons. I've driven lots of types of cars, but it took me half the drive to figure out how to get the cruise control going. It was giving me an error that something was misconfigured with no tip on what to do. The buttons below the screen are messy too. The top row contains mostly buttons to change the screen (radio, media, nav, map, ...) and the bottom row mostly controls (heat up/down), but confusingly also the button to show the heating settings on the screen. And you can control the temperature also with dials. I guess it will probably get easier with use, but I found myself looking around a lot to find what I needed, which is not a good idea in a car. The Polestar was much more intuitive and less cluttered.

Seats were good, softer than the Polestar's. Audio was decent, but not super convincing. The ride was generally good, but the car doesn't control its own power at all. When accelerating and in turns, it frequently started spinning and had to engage the traction control. Maybe it's the AWD (vs front in the Kia) but the Polestar didn't do this even once in my test drive. And I pushed that one hard, too, and it's got double the horses!

Range was interesting again. Remember, the Polestar went from 100% to 70% after 75km, with a bit more than half highway. That would mean 250km range. It was a wintry day, just above freezing (2-3C) and obviously, I played more with the car than I would during a normal ride. The Kia went down from 400km predicted to 340km on a ride of 25km. Yeah, shoot me 😁. That's 15% of the battery. Polestar's battery is 78KWh, so 30% over 75km is 31,2KWh/100km. Kia's battery is 67,1KWh, so 15% over 25km is 38,7KWh/100km. Now there's a surprise to me! I can't say I drove much more assertively and AC was off, like in the PS. The part highway was most likely less relative than the one in the Polestar.

My main worry is charging. The Kia seems to have gotten an upgrade to 100kW. Before it was 77kW DC charging. It's still way less than the 150kW of other cars. Simulations in ABRP seem to indicate that even for a short trip to Paris (300km), you need a stop-over of at least half an hour. For longer trips, it just gets worse. It won't allow me to alternate short stops to stretch the legs after 2 hours with longer stops to grab a meal. All stops will be long.

That, and the busy dashboard, make the Kia not the car for me. I want a quiet and relaxing commute. So I've taken the Kia off my short list.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,563 Posts
I did a test drive of the Polestar 2 on Friday and today had a drive with the Kia e-Niro (as the BEV version is called here). It's not as extraordinary as you may think to compare these two. The e-Niro fully equipped comes in around €50K whereas the Polestar is €60k. Put differently, it's the difference between the Mach E standard or extended range.

The Kia feels like a much bigger car. It's 10cm higher than the Polestar. But strangely, it's more than 20cm shorter. The booth is supposed to be 10% larger (no frunk standard) but it didn't look that way. It's not as deep as the Polestar's, but you can stack your luggage higher.

On the inside, it's more open but it feels more crowded. It's a space full of buttons. I've driven lots of types of cars, but it took me half the drive to figure out how to get the cruise control going. It was giving me an error that something was misconfigured with no tip on what to do. The buttons below the screen are messy too. The top row contains mostly buttons to change the screen (radio, media, nav, map, ...) and the bottom row mostly controls (heat up/down), but confusingly also the button to show the heating settings on the screen. And you can control the temperature also with dials. I guess it will probably get easier with use, but I found myself looking around a lot to find what I needed, which is not a good idea in a car. The Polestar was much more intuitive and less cluttered.

Seats were good, softer than the Polestar's. Audio was decent, but not super convincing. The ride was generally good, but the car doesn't control its own power at all. When accelerating and in turns, it frequently started spinning and had to engage the traction control. Maybe it's the AWD (vs front in the Kia) but the Polestar didn't do this even once in my test drive. And I pushed that one hard, too, and it's got double the horses!

Range was interesting again. Remember, the Polestar went from 100% to 70% after 75km, with a bit more than half highway. That would mean 250km range. It was a wintry day, just above freezing (2-3C) and obviously, I played more with the car than I would during a normal ride. The Kia went down from 400km predicted to 340km on a ride of 25km. Yeah, shoot me 😁. That's 15% of the battery. Polestar's battery is 78KWh, so 30% over 75km is 31,2KWh/100km. Kia's battery is 67,1KWh, so 15% over 25km is 38,7KWh/100km. Now there's a surprise to me! I can't say I drove much more assertively and AC was off, like in the PS. The part highway was most likely less relative than the one in the Polestar.

My main worry is charging. The Kia seems to have gotten an upgrade to 100kW. Before it was 77kW DC charging. It's still way less than the 150kW of other cars. Simulations in ABRP seem to indicate that even for a short trip to Paris (300km), you need a stop-over of at least half an hour. For longer trips, it just gets worse. It won't allow me to alternate short stops to stretch the legs after 2 hours with longer stops to grab a meal. All stops will be long.

That, and the busy dashboard, make the Kia not the car for me. I want a quiet and relaxing commute. So I've taken the Kia off my short list.
Thanks for these rundowns!

For me when I went through it:
Going for the Kia: wide open trunk space so easy to load (but smaller floor space I think); was available immediately then (while Polestar was further and further delayed); supposedly had great efficiency/range numbers; and substantially cheaper (lease ~1/2 of Polestar, seriously; financing ~0.6-0.7x cost).

But everything else went for the Polestar: much nicer interior and exterior design; way more premium feeling; more intuitive human-machine interface to me; and much much much more enjoyable to drive. Polestar also felt bigger for passenger space when I sat in it, but the Kia looked bigger from the outside - it's like an optical illusion.

Also, my wife took one look at the Niro, immediately and emphatically said "No" and was done and didn't want to ever think about it again. Her style and Mrs. EV's are similar though clearly differently oriented:

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,863 Posts
Had a mechanically-identical Hyundai Kona for 18 months. Far superior efficiency (I wouldn't take any notice of your figures!), easily hitting 250 miles in Winter and even 300 in Summer. More spacious cabin.

After that, the Polestar wins on every single front, hence changing. Couldn't be happier that I did, it's just a totally different class of car.

(Charging is still max 77kW by the way, even if the dealers and some automotive press quote 100kW just because it can take advantage of the faster chargers.)

·
Registered
63 Posts
[QUOTE="polerad
Also, my wife took one look at the Niro, immediately and emphatically said "No" and was done and didn't want to ever think about it again. Her style and Mrs. EV's are similar though clearly differently oriented:
[/QUOTE]. Thanks so much for linking that video - it's a hoot! I've been laughing out loud as the poor guy's every enthusiasm is stonewalled by his wife who doesn't appear to be feeling the Christmas spirit. A comedy classic. 👍

·
Registered
2021 2
2,563 Posts
Thanks so much for linking that video - it's a hoot! I've been laughing out loud as the poor guy's every enthusiasm is stonewalled by his wife who doesn't appear to be feeling the Christmas spirit. A comedy classic. 👍
fortunately for me mrs. polerad and I saw eye to eye on the Polestar.
Else our 2020 EV search was essentially a year long version of that video.

me: but what about...
her: no
me: you haven't even looked at it
me: it's not a Tesla
her: ok which is it
me: <shows not Polestar>
me: you're not even going to drive it! you hate driving!
her: but I have to look at it and ride in it.... no

Mike/Alane may want to send her a commission

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
My family likes the Polestar, but what they really enjoy is seeing how passionate I am about it... well... they're bemused (if they're not laughing out loud). After my daughter and I escaped from NYC having just picked the car up and having to stop twice to charge on wicked cold night... after all that she did say... "Well you have learned a lot from that forum and we would have taken a lot longer if you weren't on it so much." (Had to do with a certain brand of charger not working with the Polestar and me recognizing that before faffing about for an hour and then failing.)

My wife likes the look of the Polestar, but thinks it's too masculine for her. And when I took her for a drive, she just scolded me the whole time. "Don't do that here!" "Well you certainly drive fast on these back roads!" (She's no fun.)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Lease cost in the UK may be a significant factor in the decision - we now have the Kia 4+ on a 2 year private lease for £310 per month. The P2 is double that.
If not, risk the p2!

·
Registered
861 Posts
I love the way you can't quite leave the Polestar forum, @toscal353 😁
Sad but true!

In part, I am genuinely hoping to see some improvement in both Polestar the company and the P2, but partly also a need to vindicate my decision that both are a crock of you-know-what and are unlikely to improve in the near future and therefore (for us) getting rid of the car was the right decision!

(We are all just prisoners here, of our own device)

Of course, if i am not wanted.......?!

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,852 Posts
Sad but true!

In part, I am genuinely hoping to see some improvement in both Polestar the company and the P2, but partly also a need to vindicate my decision that both are a crock of you-know-what and are unlikely to improve in the near future and therefore (for us) getting rid of the car was the right decision!

(We are all just prisoners here, of our own device)

Of course, if i am not wanted.......?!
I forbid you to leave

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I won't be leasing. Financial rent for me - I pay back what the car costs and it goes off expenses of my company instead of putting the car on the books immediately. Same difference, but no trouble with the opinions of random lease people. Delivery of the Polestar would be 4 months, possibly longer if lots of people start ordering now. Jan-Feb there's normally a big car show here, so many people order around this period. I've asked Polestar for an arrangement on a loaner during the wait. I'll grudgingly accept a PS1 for €1000/month 😁

"Optical illusion" is the right word. The Kia looks like a medium-sized honking SUV. I dislike that. While it's not as fugly as some vulgar I-own-the-roaders, it's still looks big. The Polestar doesn't give me that impression despite being longer. It's probably the roof height that does it.

The Kia does have the advantage of being mature. The Polestar has lots of teething problems that make me worried. Can they fix 4G/Wi-Fi without recall? Can they improve the 360 view OTA? But Polestar-the-company has a huge advantage to me. They're very dedicated to eco production, aiming to produce a car in a fully CO2 neutral way in the coming years. They're modern, hip, and invest time in thinking about how you experience the car. While I respect Kia as a new Toyota (started as a cheap brand and climbing the ladder as we speak), it's a firmly traditional believer in plastik wundertastik to save costs. I think that's an outdated mentality and that this will become more obvious in the next decade or so.

The Polestar forum is nice, too, but it won't be a deal breaker :D

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
But.... But... We WANT to be deal breakers... makers... uhm.... Important!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I've had two Kia's. In 2013 I got a 2nd hand 2012 Kia Sorento. Then in 2018 I got a Kia Stinger.

I can't fault Kia's. They are exactly what they say they are. Great cars, with long warranties, good servicing and dealerships, well built, always good tech, and great value cars.

With the exception of the Stinger most of them are substance over style or passion.

The Kia E-Niro was a high priority on my list of possible EV's, however the lack of a Tow Bar in the UK was a killer for me ... I hear the EU is now getting the option.

However I would never not recommend someone interested in an EV the E-Niro - it's a great car.

However ... although not an SUV, I'd say the iD.3 will be eating into the Korean's EV sales - I suspect a major update in 2021/22

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Registered
861 Posts
IMO the P2 has far better presence, street cred, style and class. As I have said before, it is a lifestyle car not just a functional work horse. It sticks to the road and behaves itself in poor conditions. You get a lot for an extra £10k GBP, (at least in theory). They'll get there.

·
Registered
P2, Snow, Slate, PP, Hitch, Nextbase Dashcam, 20% Tint, Polestar, give us more regen. breaking!
300 Posts
IMO the P2 has far better presence, street cred, style and class. As I have said before, it is a lifestyle car not just a functional work horse. It sticks to the road and behaves itself in poor conditions. You get a lot for an extra £10k GBP, (at least in theory). They'll get there.
I'm buying the car the "12 year old" version of me wants. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree with every word. I just need to figure out, with the representative and during a second test drive, if I can get comfortable with the seats and drive. I'm not used to a stiffer ride. It seems like it's typical of EVs but never noticed it when I drove a ZOE. The Kia is also a softer ride.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts