Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Got a test drive today in Farnborough. Whole event was a bit 'minimalist' due to Covid but nicely managed. 30 minute drive in 'convoy' of 4, they had done their homework gave me one without the Performance Pack as per my order. Loved every minute. Google assist tech worked 100%, regenerative breaking very effective, easy to learn for first - time BEV driver, power and torque stunning, ride a bit firm but similar to my current Lexus IS300H F Sport so fine for me. Steering spot on, overall chunky, reassuring, substantial feel. Did not disappoint, apart from the fact that I have to wait a month or more before mine is delivered!

Registered
Got a test drive today in Farnborough. Whole event was a bit 'minimalist' due to Covid but nicely managed. 30 minute drive in 'convoy' of 4, they had done their homework gave me one without the Performance Pack as per my order. Loved every minute. Google assist tech worked 100%, regenerative breaking very effective, easy to learn for first - time BEV driver, power and torque stunning, ride a bit firm but similar to my current Lexus IS300H F Sport so fine for me. Steering spot on, overall chunky, reassuring, substantial feel. Did not disappoint, apart from the fact that I have to wait a month or more before mine is delivered!
Good to hear your feedback 馃憤 Did you drive 19" or 20" wheel with non performance pack? What type of test route was it and how was the noise insulation generally?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
As I stated above, the car I got did not include Performance Pack, for which I was grateful as the one I have ordered is minus the PP. I did not ask about the wheels but assume standard 19 inch wheels for reasons stated. The route was around Farnborough and included urban, country and motorway sections. Noise insulation very good, a bit of tyre rumble but not intrusive. I'm familiar with low-speed ( up to 40mph) EV mode driving in my Lexus hyrbrid and this was more-or-less the same.

Registered
Ok cool. The reason I asked about the wheel size is because non performance pack comes with standard 19 or optional 20". Trust me that would make the ride comfort and cabin noise different.

Registered
I would be curious too since I ordered the non-PP 20 inch tyres.
Thanks for the report. Very envious of your experience!

Registered
Had a test drive today from the SF PopUp.
Long story short: We're totally going to get this car, are super stoked for it, and have no qualms.

full details:
Drove a Snow, Performance, Barley car (they said that's what they had available; although had a Void 19" nonPP in the garage near where we parked....)
We could only drive in the city, no highway, so had to get a little creative in how I could push things to the limit. I went ahead and booked a "we come to you" test drive in a couple weeks so I can test highway and twisty road drives (in case my car doesn't show up by then!). For now I settled for breaking several traffic laws.

Its interior is in a plainly higher league than Tesla's. While that's perhaps subjective, those who think otherwise are objectively wrong. Everything fit and worked better for me than whatever is going on in the Model 3/Y. I guess I just want a car that works as usual - not have to learn a whole new ecosystem.

Ride quality was surprisingly great. I don't know what the Performance dampers were set at; I can only assume it was at the default. I prepared myself and mrs. p for a firm, bumpy ride and on SF potholes, through road construction, and over light-rail tracks it was totally fine. Subjectively better than driving a Model 3 on less broken roads in Palo Alto. Not as magic-carpet as the e-tron; more similar to a non-air-suspension I-Pace maybe?

Acceleration was ample. Went through a surprisingly empty tunnel (Broadway) and floored it until mrs. p giggled. Went up a ~15% grade hill and could easily accelerate and pass slower cars up it.
Conversely the regen braking on the other side (~15% grade) brought us to a complete stop on the hill in Standard one-pedal mode without any need to touch the brake pedal.
Took about 5 seconds to get used to Standard regen braking - I think I'll likely use Standard mode for the city (Creep off) and try coasting (regen Off) on the highway.

When another section of road cleared I tested an imaginary slalom and also took a couple turns faster than is usually advised. Proper handling will need to be tested on the twisty roads, but for now seems great.

Didn't pay attention to consumption given what all we did to the car.

So all in all, had a great experience. After all my anxious cross-shopping I'm completely comfortable getting the Polestar 2 over the variety of cars I considered (Model 3, Model Y, Niro, I-Pace, e-tron - test drove them all). And, importantly, the Polestar 2 is now mrs. polerad approved (who alarmingly made sure her profile and seat settings could be saved to memory....)

Yeah, I'd like for it to have come sooner. And be cheaper sans China tariffs. And I know we're going to have our own early adopter tax to pay. But fortunately for us, it seems y'all in the EU/UK are bearing the brunt of it so we don't have to (cheers!). Most of what's pending is at most annoying rather than disabling for me. Now I just want my car finally!!

Other details:
According the the PopUp staff, SF order holders are meant to get an email "this week" to start finalizing things.

I went and plain stood up on the tow hook. I'm a little less than 80 kg (depending on burrito/beer consumption) and at least for the few seconds I tried it the tow hook was rock solid.

The charging cable in the frunk is indeed rated as 240 V, 16A. It had a NEMA 6-20 plug attached, and a NEMA 5-15/5-20 adapter plug in there. I have no idea where one might use a NEMA 6-20 plug. This is clearly meant more for trickle charging from standard (110V) home outlets.
I groused about this a bit to the kind PopUp staffer who kindly nodded, smiled, and tried to reassure me he would do everything in his power to rectify the situation..... I think I should probably apologize....

Edit: After thinking on it, I wonder if the design of the plug adapters is what limits the cable/EVSE to 16A. On a usual 20A home circuit, most you should draw is 16A anyway. So for trickle charging, at least in the US, this seems reasonable and I believe it's in line with what Tesla gives their US customers.

Premium Member
Thanks for the great review. Tell Mrs. P we all say hi and we're on her side when it comes to sharing the ride.

Registered
Thanks for the review...We were supposed to have our test drive this past weekend but had to reschedule. On the plus side we were able to schedule it for them to come to our house in October :)

Registered
And, importantly, the Polestar 2 is now mrs. polerad approved (who alarmingly made sure her profile and seat settings could be saved to memory....)
Trouble ahead, the lady in red
Take my advice you'd be better off dead 馃拑
-Robert Hunter

Registered
Long story short: We're totally going to get this car, are super stoked for it, and have no qualms.

full details:
Drove a Snow, Performance, Barley car (they said that's what they had available; although had a Void 19" nonPP in the garage near where we parked....)
We could only drive in the city, no highway, so had to get a little creative in how I could push things to the limit. I went ahead and booked a "we come to you" test drive in a couple weeks so I can test highway and twisty road drives (in case my car doesn't show up by then!). For now I settled for breaking several traffic laws.

Its interior is in a plainly higher league than Tesla's. While that's perhaps subjective, those who think otherwise are objectively wrong. Everything fit and worked better for me than whatever is going on in the Model 3/Y. I guess I just want a car that works as usual - not have to learn a whole new ecosystem.

Ride quality was surprisingly great. I don't know what the Performance dampers were set at; I can only assume it was at the default. I prepared myself and mrs. p for a firm, bumpy ride and on SF potholes, through road construction, and over light-rail tracks it was totally fine. Subjectively better than driving a Model 3 on less broken roads in Palo Alto. Not as magic-carpet as the e-tron; more similar to a non-air-suspension I-Pace maybe?

Acceleration was ample. Went through a surprisingly empty tunnel (Broadway) and floored it until mrs. p giggled. Went up a ~15% grade hill and could easily accelerate and pass slower cars up it.
Conversely the regen braking on the other side (~15% grade) brought us to a complete stop on the hill in Standard one-pedal mode without any need to touch the brake pedal.
Took about 5 seconds to get used to Standard regen braking - I think I'll likely use Standard mode for the city (Creep off) and try coasting (regen Off) on the highway.

When another section of road cleared I tested an imaginary slalom and also took a couple turns faster than is usually advised. Proper handling will need to be tested on the twisty roads, but for now seems great.

So all in all, had a great experience. After all my anxious cross-shopping I'm completely comfortable getting the Polestar 2 over the variety of cars I considered (Model 3, Model Y, Niro, I-Pace, e-tron - test drove them all). And, importantly, the Polestar 2 is now mrs. polerad approved (who alarmingly made sure her profile and seat settings could be saved to memory....)

Yeah, I'd like for it to have come sooner. And be cheaper sans China tariffs. And I know we're going to have our own early adopter tax to pay. But fortunately for us, it seems y'all in the EU/UK are bearing the brunt of it so we don't have to (cheers!). Most of what's pending is at most annoying rather than disabling for me. Now I just want my car finally!!

Other details:
According the the PopUp staff, SF order holders are meant to get an email "this week" to start finalizing things.

I went and plain stood up on the tow hook. I'm a little less than 80 kg (depending on burrito/beer consumption) and at least for the few seconds I tried it the tow hook was rock solid.

The charging cable in the frunk is indeed rated as 240 V, 16A. It had a NEMA 6-20 plug attached, and a NEMA 5-15/5-20 adapter plug in there. I have no idea where one might use a NEMA 6-20 plug. This is clearly meant more for trickle charging from standard (110V) home outlets.
I groused about this a bit to the kind PopUp staffer who kindly nodded, smiled, and tried to reassure me he would do everything in his power to rectify the situation..... I think I should probably apologize....

Edit: After thinking on it, I wonder if the design of the plug adapters is what limits the cable/EVSE to 16A. On a usual 20A home circuit, most you should draw is 16A anyway. So for trickle charging, at least in the US, this seems reasonable and I believe it's in line with what Tesla gives their US customers.
Awesome!...thank you for sharing your thoughts...virtual fist bump! 馃憡

Reactions: polerad

Registered

full details:

Other details:

Thanks for sharing! I had very similar conclusions after my test drive and have also driven the ipace and etron previously. Glad to know I'm not the only one who expected a much firmer ride than what transpired. Can't wait for my car either!

Registered
One thing in case it catches someone off guard: Their default is to have someone chaperone you in the car. I think if you made enough of a fuss you can go sans chaperone.
Unclear if that's just for PopUp test drives or if it's also for the "we come to you" test drives.

I think the intent is more for someone to answer questions of folks who are new to EVs and to Polestar, rather than ensuring you don't make off with the car. Our chaperone, Simon, had been a part of several other EV launches so was generally knowledgeable, but I had to stop myself from correcting him too much about the P*2... luckily it seems several other order holders had already beaten me there so he wasn't too scared by my, um, enthusiasm. He said the staffers got their materials at the end of last week to review before starting yesterday, so not unreasonable they didn't know every little nook and cranny.

Also: they forgot to put in dummy logins to the varied apps so each "Hey Google...." was met with a "please enter your login for..." response. I expect that will be sorted out soon.

Registered
Had a test drive in San Francisco yesterday 鈥 they brought the car to us. Great communication beforehand, including email reminders and a text message from a Polestar team member about an hour before the drive to confirm the time and address (the associate, K-Maas, was awesome throughout). Car was ready outside before we were, and we definitely caught a couple of curious passers-by giving it a look. It鈥檚 going to be fun having a car that鈥檚 a bit of a different electric vehicle amongst the sea of standard-issue Model 3鈥檚 around here.

Got a quick walkaround and a spray of hand sanitizer, and with that, myself, my wife, and K-Maas were off for a 30-minute drive. Our tester was dressed in Thunder with 20鈥 shoes but no Performance Package, Charcoal WeaveTech interior. Yes, Thunder does look lighter in person. We didn鈥檛 spend much time playing with the infotainment system aside from changing up steering feel and testing out the stereo, as we鈥檇 spent some time with the car previously in showroom settings and wanted to focus on how she felt to drive. At one point I did use 鈥榟ey Google鈥 to enter our home address just to see how nav worked, and it was by far the easiest address entry I鈥檝e ever accomplished in a car (even through my face mask).

I drove through our local streets, got a couple of highway miles in, and then wound the car through some San Francisco neighborhood hills (around Bernal, if you know SF) before heading back for my wife to have a go, and overall we were super impressed. Our current vehicles are an Audi S3 and Lexus IS250 F-Sport (Polestar is replacing the Lexus) 鈥 I鈥檇 compare steering feel more closely with the Audi, and overall heft and suspension feel more on the Lexus side (not a complaint on California roads 鈥 I like a comfortable sport sedan). The car is definitely drive-by-wire, so as multiple reviews have stated, steering feels a little disconnected from the road but accurate and nicely weighted, with a good thickness to the steering wheel. One-pedal driving was super easy to get used to, even for my wife who initially thought she would be setting up her profile to react more like an ICE but fell in love with one-pedal. And I dare anyone to accelerate in one of these and not smile: punching it in a performance EV is just too much fun.

Little things good and bad: I thought turning radius was excellent, and it was easy to navigate tighter spaces and roundabouts. Rear visibility is decidedly not great, but with all the cameras and sensors and whatnot, not especially a concern. Volume knob is indeed a touch awkward as you have to reach over the shifter, but usually I鈥檓 doing these things from the steering wheel. Glass roof really shows its worth once you get outside the showroom 鈥 can鈥檛 recall the last time I really enjoyed riding in the back of a car before, but it made all the difference. It was a hot day here (for SF) but I felt more heat coming through the side windows than the roof glass. Driver display includes a more minimal navigation display when not in full map view that I like (indicates your next move, including simplified lane illustrations). Car felt planted throughout and starts/stops were super smooth without the 鈥渒ick鈥 of an engine block or tank of gas responding to momentum changes. Was able to come to a full stop on a pretty steep incline and just hang out that way without having to sit on any pedals, which was neat. After our test as the car sadly drove away, I saw that the rear LED blade was a visible glowing accent even in full sun and will look pretty distinctive day or night. Threw my (i)phone on the wireless charger and it worked great (little charging icon shows up on the center display even if the phone is not paired) with Apple鈥檚 clear case on the phone. Super convenient. WeaveTech, as others have stated, is in some strange place between a nice denim and a wetsuit but more luxe than most textile interiors and seems like it will hold up well.

Did not get to test out adaptive cruise / lane keep as I am not a Volvo expert yet and didn鈥檛 want to take eyes off the road to mash unfamiliar buttons etc. I鈥檓 sure it鈥檒l be great to have in traffic but otherwise I generally enjoy having the wheel.

Overall, a very well put together package and I came away confident in our choices and ready to pull the trigger on delivery. Happy to answer any questions I can about anything I might鈥檝e missed in the highlights here.

Premium Member
Thank you, PolestarMG for the review.

I'm buying this car without a test drive and, you know what? I'm glad. Because the wait is hard enough, dammit, and going on a test drive would make the wait worse.

Registered
Thank you, PolestarMG for the review.

I'm buying this car without a test drive and, you know what? I'm glad. Because the wait is hard enough, dammit, and going on a test drive would make the wait worse.
Honestly, it was good to have the firsthand confirmation, but if you've been paying attention to this forum and reviews, I don't think you'll get any surprises. My impression was remarkably consistent with what I've seen/read from others.

Registered
I went for a test drive today in Salford. I already have an order and am happy with my choice!

I drove a car as similar to the spec I'd ordered as possible (20" wheels, non performance).

Some thoughts:
  • The ride was firm-ish but comfortable. Never crashy.
  • Not quite as fast as I was expecting (the first few inches of the accelerator didn't do much, but once you got going there was a reasonable punch). Caveat: this is coming from a BMW M4 Competition.
  • Felt planted and solid.
  • One pedal driving worked well.
  • Car didn't feel heavy except when I had to use the physical brakes (once).
  • Interior felt high quality: much better than a Tesla. I'd compare it to, say, an Audi or BMW M-car. Not quite as nice as RS Audis.
  • The nav worked well and I liked the driver virtual cockpit thing.

Reactions: ProfessorCook
1 - 20 of 43 Posts