Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, two pictures of the Polestar in the back yard, not it's natural environment.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Although not legal, because the allowed total weight of the trailer exceeds the capacity of the Polestar, of course I did try this on the road.

The towing is fabulous. You would forget that you are towing anything at all (needless to say the trailer was empty for the test). Foot of the pedal gives a lot of regen, on regen alone the trailer brakes hardly kick in, very comfortable OPD! Combination very stable under hard braking too (heavy car).

So, while the driving is great, there are some real surprises, that makes me think nobody at Polestar ever pulled a trailer. See the next posts.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With my other car I can put the trailer hook with millimeter precision under the trailer just using the rear camera. With the Polestar there is no way to achieve this without help. The @$$%! camera is not in the middle. Who thought of that?

This is what you see when the trailer and the hook ARE aligned. Good luck with that.

See how the trailer shows behind the car. As if it is not in the middle.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The car detects the trailer attached and has automatic light check. There is an automatic and manual test. Good, except, I still have not figured out how to trigger the tests when I want to, totally unintuitive.

I checked everywhere, I just can't find the engine to turn off. I'm in park on the brake, what more do you want?

When you do manage to trigger the manual test, it indeed tests the trailer lights, but in way as if you are decorating for Christmas, all lights are checked individually and then all together. But if you want to know if the right indicator triggers the right indicator light on the trailer you have to revert to the old fashioned method. I could not do that on my own because I could only get the indicator to work with the car in drive and door closed? I gave up in frustration. Maybe one day when I have a lot of time.

Before you ask, no I did not RTFM.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Interesting!

Single horse? What's the gross weight and the tongue weight?

I'm not quite sure what the best way is, but you should let Polestar know your experiences. Some of this could be fixed through software.

The camera is offset so the license plate light can be centered.

Thanks for starting this thread.

·
Registered
magnesium/slate/19"/tow/18xxx
119 Posts
I guess they can correct this kind of stuff in software, but as you cleverly noticed, I'm also guessing foreheads will be slapped at Polestar HQ when they see this.
Would you mind sending this to Polestar?

I think this is a great find!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I really miss the rear camera we had on the A4 Avant....

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Single horse? What's the gross weight and the tongue weight?
Two horse. 770 kg empty, 2000 kg max total allowed weight (loaded with two horses a bit more than that ...), 2x 1500 kg axles.

It does look a bit narrow on the pictures! I was happy to experience that although the Polestar is quite a bit narrower than my other car it was fully ok to drive without mirror extenders.

It is actually from 1994, but has been completely restored last year.

The camera is offset so the license plate light can be centered.
That is a very shitty compromise that I have not seen on any other car.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
And also a good post for the 'Polestar in front of things' thread... namely a trailer :-D
Yes. I did not think of that :). Done.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Another valid criticism of the camera location is that it's prone to getting dirty... But I'm sure they were trying to hide it.

·
Super Moderator
1,285 Posts
Noticed the same problem when hooking up. According to TFM, there should be a centered line for the hook instead of the two lines for the wheels when the hook is extended which seems to be missing.

Light check can be initiated manually through the car/lights menu.

AFAIK, in the EU the max. allowed weigth of the trailer (+car) is only relevant for the required license. The current weight must not exceed the allowed towing weight of the car. Which you would probably exceed even with only one horse.

Here is my color-matched shot ;)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Noticed the same problem when hooking up. According to TFM, there should be a centered line for the hook instead of the two lines for the wheels when the hook is extended which seems to be missing.
I don't find that anywhere in TFM.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 21 Posts