Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
Midnight 20” Charcoal July 21 vin 26xxx
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after doing the research and looking at the options I have decided that the Polestar 2 is the one for me. That is not to say that I don't have concerns

I am not concerned by the 4g issue as long as bluetooth and FM radio work then it is a car like others. the issue will be fixed.

and whilst there is a long list of software improvements

I am concerned about the number of times people seem to have to take their car back in for what is a new quite expensive model.

This would not worry me so much but She Who Must be Obeyed would then need to be convinced.

so hence the title of my post I am waiting for the ability to have a test drive before I can jump

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I, you, she wouldn’t be worried. The major teething issues ie inverters, HVCH have been sorted and whilst niggles , as defined on the forum, I guess these are no more common than any new car. It’s just with the excitement you hear about everything. Undoubtedly foibles eg cable stuck in car thread, but also seen all these on ‘other ev cars are available channels’. By the time you get yours all be be sorted (🤞) and Volvo dealers will be up to speed with the XC40 recharge available etc etc. No one posts about their new Ford Focus having problems but doesn’t mean they don’t! If no joy with SWMBO then could I recommend a Toyota Camry or Lexus as these do seem to be utterly reliable. Good hunting.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If it's any reassurance - I haven't needed to take my car in for anything. The 4G issue was resolved automatically and I had my first OTA update last weekend (October -> November version). Car was delivered in November.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm it just occurred to me we could take an XC40 recharge for a test and just ...it will be better than that...lol

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the way thanks guys for the reassurance, reading these forums it can be easy to get lost in the details of peoples problems rather than the general positives about the vehicle.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Not very Scientific, but this poll below gives an indication

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Although am interested in how she would take an explanation off how to fix the cable fault issue...take a wire and stick into the 78KW battery socket....wait, where are you going?.. it will be easy... no right ok

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not very Scientific, but this poll below gives an indication

that is a great poll and yes, quite reassuring

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
I miss the leather, too. Easier to keep clean, I think, but philosophically, I'm on board with the weave tech. Let's see how I feel in a year.

Reactions: Mick

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
Same here as @misterspam - only once lost 4G and it came back on the next trip. Everything has (aside from a couple of annoying rattles, missing jack and first aid kit) been absolutely perfect with our car!

Reactions: Mick

·
Registered
263 Posts
So after doing the research and looking at the options I have decided that the Polestar 2 is the one for me. That is not to say that I don't have concerns

I am not concerned by the 4g issue as long as bluetooth and FM radio work then it is a car like others. the issue will be fixed.

and whilst there is a long list of software improvements

I am concerned about the number of times people seem to have to take their car back in for what is a new quite expensive model.

This would not worry me so much but She Who Must be Obeyed would then need to be convinced.

so hence the title of my post I am waiting for the ability to have a test drive before I can jump
Until last week I have had no problems. Now I have an issue I was given a courtesy car (xc60 hybrid) that polestar automatically has given me for a month until things are sorted.

the volvo mechanic is waiting to hear from polestar to give it back to me as it seems it was a weird glitch. Every day I get an update which is mostly waiting for Polestar to respond and so far they have remotely connected to car to read off diagnostics and are interested in investigating the issues (better that than say turn it off and turn it on again)

So when it works it's brilliant. When it doesn't work polestar have done what they can to understand and solve problems and given me support.

The worst thing about the car is seeing a fast car and not putting your foot down because it is fun and makes me smile

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So whilst my heart seems to saying polestar, I am still having to wait till I get a drive before I can commit so I am filling in that time with lists. My short list so far is

Polestar 2 (obvs)
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Volvo XC-40 recharge
Tesla Model 3

This is based on my requirements that a I want a sort of performance car that looks somewhere as cool as my BMW 320 GT (I know the Volvo seems out here but I like it and it is basically a Polestar with a different body and computer)

The drawbacks I see with polestar are

1 - it seems like a beta programme and has some weird issues (odd error lights, odd enthusiasts (Dave))
2 - one of the core issues I have with my BM is the poor media unit and looking at comments on the bluetooth media player and lack of 4g/tethering this may be odd to move to a worse platform.
3 - Leather - I love my leather seats. Ten years since I had anything but and they are so easy to look after.

Some of these issue are addressed in the Volvo platform (CarPlay, leather) probably still buggy but less tech to go wrong (i.e. fist waving error...sorry dynamic lights)

I have little interest in tetespla as want a proper dash but it has been around longer and is getting better according to all the reviews, so with the performance, rang and the Tesla fastchage network it is very hard to eliminate.

All the reviews I have seen suggest that the Ford just works... has better range and well is a ford in build quality, (not quite Volvo but not Tesla)

Arrggg if it wasn't for Lockdown I would have test driven the P2 and ordered......

·
Super Moderator
1,396 Posts
With the XC40E you will see the same problems as with a PS2 build at the same time, it's more expensive, the efficiency is worse, it's limited to 180km/h, it doesn't look so good and also has no app ;)

(I ordered and paid without a test drive, and don't regret it)

·
Registered
2021 2
2,586 Posts
Polestar 2 (obvs)
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Volvo XC-40 recharge
Tesla Model 3
My takes relative to the Polestar 2:

XC40 R - more cargo area and storage throughout; higher ride height; worse efficiency; will have the same set of issues as Polestar as it's the same aside from the body; perhaps better support since it's straight up Volvo not pseudo-Volvo like Polestar?

Model 3 - Really the now default standard. Past the beta-testing stage but with persistent issues re some design flaws that keep coming and build quality (e.g. bumpers coming off, panel gaps, etc). Less refined ride (noise, jerky steering/handling/accelerator response). Nihilist interior and with some impractical features (no driver display; certain items not on buttons/stalks like wipers; door handles need an introductory primer). More open/airy design but rear bench has awkward leg angle and is a touch narrower width, but a bit more headroom. Lower seating position fore and aft. Definitely better range and charging specs so if you will drive a lot, esp on highway, should definitely consider it. More cargo area overall but sedan trunk opening, not hatch. Lower tow rating.

MachE (haven't seen it IRL) - subjectively worse looking in/out to me and maybe not as nice feeling on the interior (maybe more like the XC40?). Slightly worse performance specs but unclear if that is a major difference. You get a bigger battery for the price which offsets slightly worse efficiency to mean net more range. So far seems to be launching without as many bugs/niggles. TBD on where MachE overall will be at re launch issues compared to Polestar once deliveries finally ramp up and Polestar has then had 6-12 months to fix things and deliver the app.

With my money, I would cross off the XC40 - MachE seems better as a crossover if you want the cargo space and ride height; Polestar is basically the same thing but with better range and (to me) nicer design including of the infotainment. If you really drive a lot for work or whatnot, Model 3 long range is king.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
But of course, you're swimming in this forum with most of us owning and preferring the Polestar. If I could have all my money back and, with all I've learned and experienced, choose again, I'd still get the Polestar.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
It's far too early yet to say that the Mach E doesn't have any issues. The first Polestar 2s didn't have any issues... and then they did. I agree that more things are finished on the Mach E, but it's way too early to make a call on reliability and teething problems.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts