Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have been away for a few days since I got the car on Monday. Just thought I’d post how I’ve found charging and consumption.

After the first part of the journey home I topped up at an Ionity charger from low-fifties % charge to 90%, adding 28kWh based on the invoice email. This means the total usable battery is low-70s kWh as you’d expect.

I noted that the charge rate started at ~70kW and slowed down as it charged. Note earlier this week I clocked a 90kW charge rate but from a lower state of charge.

And then to get home I managed 169 mostly motorway miles going from 90% to 14%. Which by my reckoning gives a total range of 222miles at this consumption rate. This was mostly done at 65-70 mph, taking it quite easy.

Reactions: Fidelis

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Note that this rate on the (350kW-capable) Ionity charger is similar to what TeslaBjorn got in this video (which showed a 4%-80% charge in ~35 mins) ...once he got to mid fifties % SOC.

Just shows that to get a good rate you need to start low!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks for your input. Seems as if the Polestar is not the fastest charging ev. Sounds as if your stop was approx 30 minutes. Just time for a coffee maybe. How was the motorway driving for you? I had a shortish trip a week or so ago and found it very relaxing. Used Pilot assist as well. As a first time ev owner I am loving this car.😍

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah was about half an hour. Popped in to the M&S and bought some crisps for the kids! Then we ate them in the car and it was about time to go again.

Very relaxing and quiet on the motorway I found!

Reactions: Bazza77

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't have my car yet, but am fairly relaxed about charging. We have had a Zoe for nearly three years now and have never charged away from home. Ok we only do shortish trips (160 mile round trip max) and have another car for the rare event we need to do more. This is why we are waiting for our polestar, so we can go down to one electric only car. Initially I thought we would need a Model 3 to get the range and charge speed. But when you think about it, fitting the charging around the way you do your journeys, means that range and charge rate quite probably don't really matter.
For example, last week, we had to go from Norwich to Folkstone for our polestar test drive. About three and a half hour 170 mile journey. Theoretically, we could have done this in one go, but as is usually the case, we stopped at Stanstead services to use the facilities. By the time we had let the dog out for a short break and had a coffee, we had been at least 20 minutes.
If I had been in an EV, I could have plugged in to even a rapid charger, and put enough charge in to cover the next 2 or so hours before the next breakI don't need to. So as long as I stop where I can charge, I don't need to top up 200+ miles at a time.
Of course this may not be true for everyone and some of you may do 250 miles at a time without a break, when it might be more of an issue.
For me I think my journeys are not going to be much different from those I do now in my diesel V70, other than not having to stop to fill up at the pumps.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I don't have my car yet, but am fairly relaxed about charging. We have had a Zoe for nearly three years now and have never charged away from home. Ok we only do shortish trips (160 mile round trip max) and have another car for the rare event we need to do more. This is why we are waiting for our polestar, so we can go down to one electric only car. Initially I thought we would need a Model 3 to get the range and charge speed. But when you think about it, fitting the charging around the way you do your journeys, means that range and charge rate quite probably don't really matter.
For example, last week, we had to go from Norwich to Folkstone for our polestar test drive. About three and a half hour 170 mile journey. Theoretically, we could have done this in one go, but as is usually the case, we stopped at Stanstead services to use the facilities. By the time we had let the dog out for a short break and had a coffee, we had been at least 20 minutes.
If I had been in an EV, I could have plugged in to even a rapid charger, and put enough charge in to cover the next 2 or so hours before the next breakI don't need to. So as long as I stop where I can charge, I don't need to top up 200+ miles at a time.
Of course this may not be true for everyone and some of you may do 250 miles at a time without a break, when it might be more of an issue.
For me I think my journeys are not going to be much different from those I do now in my diesel V70, other than not having to stop to fill up at the pumps.
I have only had the car 3 weeks. Only really needed to charge at home. 7kw overnight is fine. I have tried some local chargepoints though. Ecotricity. Pod point and Instavolt. All worked fine but did not use them long enough to get to their full stated charge rates.

·
Registered
Polestar 2, midnight, non PP, Leather upgrade.-cancelled Nov
45 Posts
Have been away for a few days since I got the car on Monday. Just thought I’d post how I’ve found charging and consumption.

After the first part of the journey home I topped up at an Ionity charger from low-fifties % charge to 90%, adding 28kWh based on the invoice email. This means the total usable battery is low-70s kWh as you’d expect.

I noted that the charge rate started at ~70kW and slowed down as it charged. Note earlier this week I clocked a 90kW charge rate but from a lower state of charge.

And then to get home I managed 169 mostly motorway miles going from 90% to 14%. Which by my reckoning gives a total range of 222miles at this consumption rate. This was mostly done at 65-70 mph, taking it quite easy.
222 miles is impressive. Here in US the rated range is 233 miles. I have early adopters model x 90D that was rated at 254 miles but the max I can get is may be 170miles in one stretch. I'm more than happy to have 200 real world miles on a full charge

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I think I wouldn’t want to try more than 200 miles in one go (if charged to 100% before leaving), to give a bit of a safety buffer!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, the trip we did this week (~240 miles) is one we’d only do a few times a year. The only other time we drive further is when we go on holiday in the Scottish highlands! (~350 miles).

Other than that, the most I drive per day is 50-60 miles!

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Midnight non-PP
9 Posts
When the pandemic is finally over, I'll be doing a trip once every month or two of around 220 miles - split 60% motorway driving and 40% single carriageways. Based on the tests I've done, I'm pretty confident I'll be able to do it without stopping to charge. With non-PP and 19" wheels, and pre-conditioning before setting off at 10 degree C temperature, I'm seeing efficiency of around 30 KWh / 100 miles (a little over 240 mile range) with this mix of roads, doing around 65-70 mph on the motorway and around 55 mph on single carriageways.

So disciplined driving but not tediously slow. More fun driving with a bit of gratuitous acceleration reserved for shorter journeys or when I want to stop for a break anyway.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Midnight non-PP
9 Posts
Yeah, and if you slow to 50mph, I reckon you'll be able to achieve the 292 WLTP range, even at 10 degrees C (I got really good efficiency on a recent journey that had a lot of 50 zones in it).

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
When the pandemic is finally over, I'll be doing a trip once every month or two of around 220 miles - split 60% motorway driving and 40% single carriageways. Based on the tests I've done, I'm pretty confident I'll be able to do it without stopping to charge. With non-PP and 19" wheels, and pre-conditioning before setting off at 10 degree C temperature, I'm seeing efficiency of around 30 KWh / 100 miles (a little over 240 mile range) with this mix of roads, doing around 65-70 mph on the motorway and around 55 mph on single carriageways.

So disciplined driving but not tediously slow. More fun driving with a bit of gratuitous acceleration reserved for shorter journeys or when I want to stop for a break anyway.
Sounds like it's time to explore new backroads!

·
Registered
15 Posts
222 miles is impressive. Here in US the rated range is 233 miles. I have early adopters model x 90D that was rated at 254 miles but the max I can get is may be 170miles in one stretch. I'm more than happy to have 200 real world miles on a full charge
Yeah. Something about the way Tesla does the EPA testing seems to overinflate the numbers more than other EVs. Reports of the Taycan easily getting 250 miles at highway speeds - its EPA rating came in at 193 miles.

·
Registered
Polestar 2, midnight, non PP, Leather upgrade.-cancelled Nov
45 Posts
Yeah. Something about the way Tesla does the EPA testing seems to overinflate the numbers more than other EVs. Reports of the Taycan easily getting 250 miles at highway speeds - its EPA rating came in at 193 miles.
I completely agree with you. Teslas are over rated in terms of range

1 - 20 of 20 Posts