Polestar Forum banner
461 - 480 of 510 Posts

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Mild weather and driving slowly are definitely the key to getting good efficiency. Last week, driving gently through a mixture of 50, 40 and 30 MPH zones in rural Cambridgeshire, I got 24.9 kwh/100 miles. Only time I've ever seen efficiency better than the WLTP rating.
Having driven a low range EV for the last couple of years, it was an imperative to learn how to eek out an additional few miles. Slowing down was the number 1 method. The difference between driving 55 and 70 is huge. What's more interesting is that if you are driving long distances, going slower could actually reduce the overall time of your trip if you include charging stops.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2 Dual Motor, Long Range, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
3,566 Posts
@toscal353 Ah but wait, no car reaches their WLTP in real life do they... but wait, 4.8 x 64 = 307.2 miles of range which is about 20 more than WLTP :)

Finally some proof to those that don't believe that the Korean cars really do match, and often comfortably exceed, their WLTP range...

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
@toscal353 Ah but wait, no car reaches their WLTP in real life do they... but wait, 4.8 x 64 = 307.2 miles of range which is about 20 more than WLTP :)

Finally some proof to those that don't believe that the Korean cars really do match, and often comfortably exceed, their WLTP range...
Each car is unique. Some beat their EPA others don't (witness Tesla vs Taycan). Some even beat their WLTP. But how you drive and the temp still makes the most difference.

Polestar's biggest faux pas was launching the P2 in the middle of the winter -- when no car comes close to their EPA. We (society) will eventually get used to this, but for now most EV buyers are first time EV owners, and it's best to launch a new model in the spring time when ranges are increasing making for increasingly happy customers that don't know better. And the throngs of stupid reviewers won't be bashing the car. Then by the time fall/winter comes around these new owners will have some experience and understanding by then as to what to expect in the cold weather.

·
Registered
P2 - Magnesium - Charcoal - PP - tow hook
300 Posts
People have to understand that WLTP is only an instrument for comparison between vehicles. Nobody drives exactly "à la WLTP" (e.g. 52% simulated urban driving and 48% non-urban driving, ...).

·
Registered
948 Posts
People have to understand that WLTP is only an instrument for comparison between vehicles. Nobody drives exactly "à la WLTP" (e.g. 52% simulated urban driving and 48% non-urban driving, ...).
Per my understanding, what they're saying above is that you get WLTP range in certain cars even when you don't drive like the WLTP cycle.

I find it mostly circumstantial/anecdotal and not a given. I've driven Kona in Norway and got nowhere near its WLTP rated range even though my average speed was fairly low (50ish km/h).

·
Super Moderator
3,566 Posts
Correct, just average day-to-day driving at this time of year would yield WLTP range without any effort for me in the Kona. Doing exactly the same mix of driving in the Polestar results in about 75% of WLTP. That's my point...

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Correct, just average day-to-day driving at this time of year would yield WLTP range without any effort for me in the Kona. Doing exactly the same mix of driving in the Polestar results in about 75% of WLTP. That's my point...
That's exactly it. I've seen studies (sorry, can't remember the exact article) where they show how under similar circumstances, some cars beat their WLTP/EPA and others don't. Tesla is notorious for gaming these numbers (i.e. making their cars' numbers look really good) while their real life range lags. Porsche on the other hand has horrible numbers, but their cars consistently beat those numbers by a lot!

Edit: found another one:

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Interesting, indeed. This leads me to revise my opinion. It reminds me of the 70's when Italian and German horsepower were not really comparable. Guess who had the most attractive figures :)
You can bet that if range is what companies are able to advertise, and what reviewers crow about, then companies will figure out ways to game the numbers.

·
Super Moderator
3,566 Posts
Once you've used the pre-heating that will come down even further :).

Reactions: KonaKen

·
Registered
4,534 Posts

A somewhat spontaneous day of trips around the area, with level 2 charging either at home or at free stations along the way. Day started at 80%, ended at 5%. [if I knew we were doing this itinerary I would've set limit to 90 or 100%!]

Generally kept to my usual speed limit +10-15 mph of not-necessarily-efficient driving except for the last ~40mi when I set ACC to 65 or 70mph on the highway to conserve SOC.
Dry weather, started in low 50s F (10-12C), got up to 80s F in the mid-day (27-30C), ending in 60s F (15-18C). A couple of the trips involved going over hills with ~2400ft elevation change

In warm weather, and given I have home charging available, I can pretty much just drive in this car, with minimal change to my usual pattern. The last bit of driving, when I got to turtle mode, yielded some sphincter puckering. But it is amazing what going just 5mph slower yields in terms of efficiency gain, and I now know I can pretty much just rely on that.

Also, remote climate control to cool off the car after it was baking in 30C/85F heat is great!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Taking my car to local Volvo dealer for steering issue and had this for consumption which is not half bad 👍
View attachment 5447
Is this the route you took?

Seriously though, good numbers. The first 3 miles of my morning commute drop down about 100 ft and are long straights. I get ~30 kWh/100mi. But I’ve never seen it in the 20’s kWh/100mi. Are you on 19’s? PP?

461 - 480 of 510 Posts