Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
non PP - Snow - Ordered Sep 20 - Delivery 01 Dec 20
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suffered my 1st range anxiety/problem today, caused by my ICE car.

I Didn't charge my P2 last night knowing I only had work and back the next day.
Big mistake and lesson learned.
Wife rings me at work. She's broken down outside the vets in our VW emissions cheating Golf. It dawns, I don't have enough charge to get there and back. Feeling stupid and helpless I have to tell her to book a taxi. My lack of foresight has cost me a taxi fare and an angry wife who now thinks the P2 was the worse idea I ever had.

The lesson learned is don't charge the car for the known, charge expecting the unknown or at least don't go to bed with 30% in the tank.
I'll never do that again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I’m sorry to hear. I can’t agree more we should at least leave enough battery for an emergency like this.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My biggest problem may be that she has lost faith in our Golf and I will be the one taking the diesel to work while she feels "safe" in the P2.
I need the P2 to have a couple of 12v issues to rock that confidence. ;)

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
A lways
B e
C harging

Even if you don't "need" it .. it's better to have it at 80% every morning than risk being at 30% and needing to pick the wife up.

Just one question .. no fast charger on the way there / back ? I suspect the vet was that far away from home? So even a 10min charge might have given you enough.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A lways
B e
C harging

Even if you don't "need" it .. it's better to have it at 80% every morning than risk being at 30% and needing to pick the wife up.

Just one question .. no fast charger on the way there / back ? I suspect the vet was that far away from home? So even a 10min charge might have given you enough.
GDank Wise advice learned the hard way. In all honesty, 30% would have cut the mustard (just) but I had never been that close to the bone before. The ideal first time to experience range anxiety was definitely not leaving work early with an annoyed wife (as if it's my fault 8-year-old golf has developed a failed a relay). Trying to work out who I'd get to recover it and where I'd recover it to.

Anyway, as you say ABC, my new moto.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
615 Posts
Bummer, i am trying to only charge to low peek 4 hours, no matter how low the car gets, may be worth charging to 90% and then just top up on cheep electricity.

hope the wife cools off soon, brownie points are hard to get but easily lost 😂
Exactly my method now that I’m on Octopus Go. No matter what I have/haven’t used each day I stick her on the charger to top up each night and to 90%.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
There's no good reason not to keep the car plugged in while home. The battery will stay warm (when PS finally updates the sw to do so like every other EV), and then you are always ready. Even if I go on a 5 mile trip I plug back in when I get home.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yep me too. First ever EV and I have decided to do exactly this so that I get on the swing and always have charge.

·
Registered
P2 Moon Jan 2021
95 Posts
There's no good reason not to keep the car plugged in while home. The battery will stay warm (when PS finally updates the sw to do so like every other EV), and then you are always ready. Even if I go on a 5 mile trip I plug back in when I get home.
So the battery will stay warm, without charging, or is it that you can pre warm when we finally get phone app.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
So the battery will stay warm, without charging, or is it that you can pre warm when we finally get phone app.
At some point PS will get their act together and not only provide the app, but also keep the battery warm while plugged in.

If you are not plugged in the battery is not going to keep itself warm other than the substantial insulation.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
To be honest, I'd be really surprised if it sits there in cold weather keeping the battery warm just on the off chance you might want to drive it - that would be a really poor use of energy. Surely if it's cold and you really need the range, it's most efficient to use the remote pre-heat setting? I can see an exception of course if it gets to extreme temperatures, say -20C, where the battery could actually suffer some damage if you immediately jumped in it and tried to hammer it.

Do any other EVs just sit there, keeping the battery warm, while plugged in at home? I've not heard of one but of course I'm happy to be educated :).

Note this is just supposition as of course there's no remote pre-heat anyway!

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
To be honest, I'd be really surprised if it sits there in cold weather keeping the battery warm just on the off chance you might want to drive it - that would be a really poor use of energy.
Do any other EVs just sit there, keeping the battery warm, while plugged in at home? I've not heard of one but of course I'm happy to be educated :).
Yes, other EVs do do this. I know for certain the Bolt and Volt do. The P2 does not and it's why the energy usage is so high the first few miles. It makes no sense. The energy use for keep warm is minimal and well worth it.

Now surprisingly, long after my P2 is fully charged -- like 12 hours later -- sometimes I go out to the garage and find the ambient light on the dash is lit and the charger is on. So it certainly knows how to do something after it's full. It's just not keeping the battery warm.

The battery is happy when plugged in 😉

·
Registered
P2 Moon Jan 2021
95 Posts
Yes, other EVs do do this. I know for certain the Bolt and Volt do. The P2 does not and it's why the energy usage is so high the first few miles. It makes no sense. The energy use for keep warm is minimal and well worth it.

Now surprisingly, long after my P2 is fully charged -- like 12 hours later -- sometimes I go out to the garage and find the ambient light on the dash is lit and the charger is on. So it certainly knows how to do something after it's full. It's just not keeping the battery warm.

The battery is happy when plugged in 😉
Thank you very informative, perhaps Polestar can do an update to help with this. Be more than willing to leave plugged in to ensure a warmer battery, especially with only doing short trips at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
Thanks, I'd never heard of that before! Certainly our Ampera, Kona and Zoe never did this (at least in the temperatures we have in the UK), as I have a meter which shows the energy consumption overnight etc. They cleanly came on at the right time, charged up, then shut right down.

Doing some basic maths, say it's 0C outside, and you want to keep the battery at - I guess - say 20C? Surely for a battery pack of this size and heat capacity, with a big surface area on the underside of the car trying to cool it back down again, it must take at least 200W to keep warm, perhaps? So that's 200W x 24h = 4.8kWh per day, just to keep the battery warm. That's half our entire house's consumption!

If I had this feature, I would definitely have it turned off as it wouldn't be appropriate for our use case of the car, but I can see how it would help others.

By the way, when you saw the logo lit up and some of the interior lighting on, it was topping up the 12V battery from the main high voltage battery, which it does when necessary, plugged in or not (I've seen both cases).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yeah - I sincerely doubt many or any other EVs constantly keep the battery warm just because the car is plugged in; that would be an enormous waste of electricity.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
If I had this feature, I would definitely have it turned off as it wouldn't be appropriate for our use case of the car, but I can see how it would help others.
I've never seen it selectable, you would just unplug.

In general an EV is perfect for short low speed hops and most use very little energy doing so. It's the beauty of electric driving. Hopefully the P2 will get there soon.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Yeah - I sincerely doubt many or any other EVs constantly keep the battery warm just because the car is plugged in; that would be an enormous waste of electricity.
They do. I'm fairly certain Tesla does as well. And the energy usage is not that great. The battery pack is heavily insulated and doesn't get nearly as cold as the outside temp.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts