Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used my vehicle since mid September and now had the benefits of two dealer visits to correct faults and two for the recalls, one for the for the headlamp issue and a second for the stopping. I have now completed 2400 miles. Of concern is that I can only charge to give a range of 270 miles and recently 260 miles 100%. However this "range" drops in 10mile segments as I travel 6 or 7 road miles ( at 50 to 60 mph)

The vehicle gives me energy consumption of 38.2 kWh/100mi

This is nothing like the claimed 29kWh/100mi given by Polestar in the pre sales data.

Are all Polestar 2 vehicles poor on energy consumption - forum member experience would be helpful.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Real world efficiency never reaches the level of the standard tests that manufacturers quote, which are achieved under a set of conditions that simply do not exist 'on the road'. Efficiency is also significant lower in winter and the wet, and driving style has an effect. In summer it will improve, but expect around 2.5 miles per kWH this time of year.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Real world efficiency never reaches the level of the standard tests that manufacturers quote, which are achieved under a set of conditions that simply do not exist 'on the road'. Efficiency is also significant lower in winter and the wet, and driving style has an effect. In summer it will improve, but expect around 2.5 miles per kWH this time of year.
I believe this is also true with ICE vehicles and fuel consumption ratings. So no surprise for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I believe this is also true with ICE vehicles and fuel consumption ratings. So no surprise for me.
Agreed, standard tests are prescribed by Eu. They (WLTP) are better than the old ones (NEDC) but still not fully real world representative. I did approx 300mile round trip today, 1/3 local/A road, 2/3 motorway, starting from cold, 3-6degC outside, heating on, driving normally and averaged approx 36kWh/100miles. The critical point for for me is a comfortable 140mile/2hour range between comfort stops that coordinates well with a fast 20-80% charge so no real impact on journey time. I personally would stop for a stretch at ~2 hours wether or not the car had range to go a lot further.

·
Registered
Void (unadorned!)
17 Posts
For us real world efficiency (today) with motorway driving at 70mph and 4-5c we got around 38 kwh. On our 150 mile round trip the battery went from 86-20%. Google maps in the car was really accurate in terms of expected battery remaining on arrival which we found very reassuring re: range anxiety ....

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I got 35kwh/100mi for a 120 mile trip doing normal motorway speeds.

Anything below 40miles and I've only got 45kwh/100mi.

I've started may times on the forums that it seems the car eats the first 10% really quickly , then it starts to ease up and the averages drop the further you go.

Range / Efficiency are defiantly not the strongest points on the car. However even a 180mile winter range is more than enough for me, so I don't mind ... but I can see why a lot of people are disappointed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Range is more than enough for me also and think the positives of the car outweigh the range. Just interested if change from 80% to 90% charge recommendation was linked or not

·
Registered
26 Posts
Range is more than enough for me also and think the positives of the car outweigh the range. Just interested if change from 80% to 90% charge recommendation was linked or not
Agreed, really like the car and range so far is more than enough. I found in the drive today that google predicted charge at destination started very low and then gradually rose. On last leg, prediction started at 16%, dropped to 14% and ended at 28%. The google range and trip range also never correlated

·
Registered
2021 2
2,602 Posts
I think it more reflects that Polestar started pretty conservative for charging curve, charge limit recs, and amount of battery they've kept as buffer. As they get comfortable with how things perform in real life, they relax each thing.

They've opened up the charging curve once already and I expect them to do again in the future - hopefully eventually achieving an e-tron-like flat 125-150 kW to 80%.
They've now relaxed the charge limit rec to 90% instead of 80%.
Will see if they also reduce the buffer eventually but I'm not expecting that any time soon.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Agreed, really like the car and range so far is more than enough. I found in the drive today that google predicted charge at destination started very low and then gradually rose. On last leg, prediction started at 16%, dropped to 14% and ended at 28%. The google range and trip range also never correlated
ive found the google estimate on battery % to be very accurate, in both short and longer journeys. Only been a variance of a few %...

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
How many mph are people getting @50 kW when cold (UK) around 4C? Ie coldgate? I have just had my inverters replaced and charge seems rubbish 60-90 mph when charging from 60%.. also just 12 mph on home charger although 7 kW input confirmed and previously 24 mph as expected. Not sure if it’s a cold battery, my new inverters or Mph dependant on previous driving parameters. Help please.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How many mph are people getting @50 kW when cold (UK) around 4C? Ie coldgate? I have just had my inverters replaced and charge seems rubbish 60-90 mph when charging from 60%.. also just 12 mph on home charger although 7 kW input confirmed and previously 24 mph as expected. Not sure if it’s a cold battery, my new inverters or Mph dependant on previous driving parameters. Help please.
I guess Mph depends on driving style?? I was getting ~60kW at instavolt today and around ~6kW on Pod-Point at home (single phase)

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
However this "range" drops in 10mile segments as I travel 6 or 7 road miles ( at 50 to 60 mph)
In general, most EVs remember how you have been driving and calculate expected range based on what's most recently been going on. If you were doodling around town for the last few days, then topped up the battery, and then got on the highway. Your new m/kw (I wish they would use this figure) would immediately drop and you might see 10 miles of range disapear after only 5 miles of highway driving. Range is a false parameter. In an ICE you never think about range. You have a gas gauge and when it gets low you fill up. Use your EV the same way. You have 75kw in the "tank", and when it gets low you fill up. How many miles you get out of a full tank or full battery depends largely on how you are driving, outside temp, HVAC use, rain, etc.

·
Registered
850 Posts
From my viewpoint, the big positive difference is that you can "fill up" at home with fuel that is significantly cheaper. The negative difference is the time to fill up, and the density of places to do so and the latter will improve. I also think we'll sort out a measure that makes the most sense in terms of distance per unit of energy - I think we're conditioned to thinking that way (mpg or km/l) even though a gallon/liter of fuel in not exactly energy but are more or less correlated. In that respect EV's are much better.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Here in Massachusetts, I pay a whopping $0.24 per kWh... So what is that? At, say, a lousy winter 3 miles per kWh, 8 cents per mile. My ICE gets about 27 mpg and a gallon of premium costs about $2.70 per gallon or about 10 cents per mile. So I won't be saving a ton of money here. But I'm also OK with that.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Here in Massachusetts, I pay a whopping $0.24 per kWh... So what is that? At, say, a lousy winter 3 miles per kWh, 8 cents per mile. My ICE gets about 27 mpg and a gallon of premium costs about $2.70 per gallon or about 10 cents per mile. So I won't be saving a ton of money here. But I'm also OK with that.
In my blue State I pay a wapping 0.12/kw and I buy 100% green energy at that. Works out to around 3c/mile. You could definitely save money by buying a different ICE car. That's a bummer.

·
Registered
850 Posts
@ProfessorCook Ouch, that's a really high rate! Here on our TVA cooperative, the residential rate for this month is $0.085/kWh, I think on the low end of the spectrum nationally. I pay about the same for premium for my existing ICE car. So I get a pretty good savings here.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts