Polestar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2022 AWD Midnight w/ Pilot & Plus. Nappa Leather. X-Ice 19" for winter
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I had a question about the two range estimates in car - the app and the dash. Which should I believe? Either of them?

The dash estimate seems to just be a lookup table that 90% = 220 miles. The app seems to TRY to estimate based on driving but I've seen it swing WILDLY. When the dash says 220, the app says 190 - NEVER more. When driving I've seen it go from 190 to 110 then back to 130 for example. It strikes me as pretty useless. Oddly, the best estimate of range has been Google so far - I've always been within 1% of what Google predicted - usually beating Google's prediction.

What is everyone else's experience?

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Oddly, the best estimate of range has been Google so far - I've always been within 1% of what Google predicted - usually beating Google's prediction.
This is the way. Trust in Google.

They should delete the dash and app range estimators - they're basically useless.

In practice, I guesstimate a little over 2x battery% in summer and at or a bit under 2x battery% in winter. If I want more precision I use Google Maps.

·
Registered
2022 AWD Midnight w/ Pilot & Plus. Nappa Leather. X-Ice 19" for winter
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In practice, I guesstimate a little over 2x battery% in summer and at or a bit under 2x battery% in winter. If I want more precision I use Google Maps.
OK, thanks. I've been finding I'm around 2x here in Seattle right now, depending on seat heaters and such. How is ABRP - is it worth getting premium?

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
OK, thanks. I've been finding I'm around 2x here in Seattle right now, depending on seat heaters and such. How is ABRP - is it worth getting premium?
Personally, to me, not worth ABRP Premium. The main features of utility in ABRP can be had in the free version and via the smartphone app.
I use ABRP to plan things out on my phone before getting to the car - but only for routes that are >120mi or so, i.e. for properly long trips - and then in the car I use Google Maps and compare to what ABRP suggested. I haven't actually opened the ABRP app in the car since I first installed it a long time back.

ABRP did release an update it seems and I'm going to play with it the next longer trip I have - but doubt that I'll switch to it given how good Google has gotten. If/when laptop/desktop/phone Google Maps can do EV route planning, and once the in car Google Maps can allow better editing of the route (selecting different chargers than those suggested; searching charging stations by food options; shifting around waypoints/destinations) then I'm not sure there's much of a role for ABRP.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The dash range basically states the max your car will do in ideal scenarios for the amount of battery remaining. It doesn’t take anything into account such as temp, heating speed etc.

The range app fluctuates according to heating, driving style and speed. The scale at the top of the app show min / max distance the car will do and the big number is what it will achieve should you maintain the heating driving style and speed at the current rate.

@polerad is correct that Google Maps is more accurate, but even GM can overestimate the amount of battery needed to get to a destination. This isn’t a bad thing as you are guaranteed to get there.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Google Maps nav has one HUGE advantage over the range app and the GoM - it knows where you're going, the route you're going to take, and conditions that affect range. Variability then is only due to you adhering to the suggested route, speed limits, and that the conditions (traffic, weather, etc.) don't change substantially.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My experience driving in Germany on the autobahn with a Polestar 2 from December 2020, is that now in winter I get approximately 220 km of real range. (Heating on my seat on level 2, steering wheel heating on level 3, AC set to 21 on ECO and driving at around 160 km/h). Nor the onboard computer nor Google maps are accurate, they always overestimate the range.

·
Registered
Polestar 2
348 Posts
Talking of range - the difference between using the climate timer to de-ice the car and lots of short journeys and how it impacts the range is very significant.

Late December
102 miles over 10 days without using climate warming as it was quite mild - an average of 37 kWh/100 miles and a range of 170 miles.

Early January
47 miles over 10 days using climate warming as it was very cold - an average of 82 kWh/100 miles and a range of 80 miles.

• Wow
Reactions: Icesingh

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Talking of range - the difference between using the climate timer to de-ice the car and lots of short journeys and how it impacts the range is very significant.

Late December
102 miles over 10 days without using climate warming as it was quite mild - an average of 37 kWh/100 miles and a range of 170 miles.

Early January
47 miles over 10 days using climate warming as it was very cold - an average of 82 kWh/100 miles and a range of 80 miles.
I knew it would be bad but that bad? Sheesh. I used the climate twice both times battery dropped by 3% for the full 30 minute preconditioning whilst not plugged in. Drove today with preconditioning not plugged in battery dropped from 49% to 46% but still achieved 29.5kwh per 100 miles for 14 mile round journey don’t think it counted the preconditioning in the auto trip computer. Battery then dropped from 46% to 39%.

·
Registered
Polestar 2
348 Posts
Yeah basically each day is an average of 6-7% of battery usage - 3-4% for the climate warming and 2-3% for the short 2 mile commute.

Tbh it's not a big deal as I haven't had to clear the ice off the car myself and it's a lovely nice warm drive to work.

In an ICE car I'd spend 10 mins scraping ice off it and drive to work freezing cold 🤣

·
Registered
215 Posts
My experience driving in Germany on the autobahn with a Polestar 2 from December 2020, is that now in winter I get approximately 220 km of real range. (Heating on my seat on level 2, steering wheel heating on level 3, AC set to 21 on ECO and driving at around 160 km/h). Nor the onboard computer nor Google maps are accurate, they always overestimate the range.
Using the car for max comfort and utility. Don’t alter it for the car. You probably knew you would need to charge in that range. If you have home charging it really is a non issue.

I would rather plug in every few days than spend 15 min going to/from a gas station and feeling wallet pains paying $75-90 every 10 days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts