Polestar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for Christmas I have a 135 mile journey to do with full car and roof box in cold UK conditions.

Will I make it without stopping for a charge?

I'm not planning to stop, do you think I'll make it?

·
Registered
333 Posts
So for Christmas I have a 135 mile journey to do with full car and roof box in cold UK conditions.

I can’t see why not, unless you’re planning to do it at very high speed. With a roof box you might want to keep to 60mph max for peace of mind and slipstream where you can.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's such a shame that you have to ask the question Lambo but that's how it is, sadly. I wouldn't want to wager either way but good luck on your journey.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
If you hypermile behind a lorry, you should make it easily. You might start that way and see how it goes. With luck, you can do the drafting for only the first 50 miles, and drive normally the rest of the way without a worry.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,863 Posts
Sit in tight behind another vehicle at low speed on the motorway? If you manage that you’re a better man than me! And then you’ve got to watch out for shrapnel flying up causing stone chips if you’re too close.
I presume you’ll charge to 100% ?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I did a journey of 77 miles in the morning and the same coming back in the evening. Started with 100% and got home with 19% charge. If it's 135 miles in one journey it should be OK.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Charge to 100% and Pre-Heat and you'll make it if you drive at 70mph or less.

Ohh and turn off OPD on the motorway. I'm convinced it helps.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Charge 100% with pre-heat. That's the plan.

I am pretty confident it'll be fine. But it is annoying that after spending £55k on a car and you can't be confident in achieving 50% of its claimed range.

I think it'll be fine. 70mph on motorways. I don't use OPD, don't like it much. Will report back after the journey.

·
Registered
23 Posts

2 x 160km is my usual journey. This is about 200 miles.
Starting with 90% and back home with 15 to 20% remaining.
Keep the speed below 60miles/h and you will be fine.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I am pretty confident it'll be fine. But it is annoying that after spending £55k on a car and you can't be confident in achieving 50% of its claimed range.
I think the problem is the "lot's of short trips" range is this cold weather we have got paranoid about it's range. Plus you are using a roof box ... I feel your concern.

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
I'll be doing something very similar @Lambo - 137.7 miles from home to East Devon on Christmas Eve. No roofbox but reasonably full car. Mostly A road and M5, unless of course the traffic is so hideous that we have to take back roads all the way (leaving very late at night as it is to avoid this)!

The bottom line is I'm confident it'll be fine. I think if we went all the way to the in-laws at 160 miles, I'd be more worried, but one continuous journey at sensible speeds should still see you managing 160-180 miles I suspect, minus a bit if it's raining.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
@Lambo I worked out that you need to achieve below 55kWh/100mi ... now at the start you will lose a lot, but hopefully once around 50miles into the trip you should know your average kWh. If above 54 then I'd suggest start looking for a quick stop.

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
Setting the tyres to Eco (i.e. inflating them about 4psi higher or so) will have no noticeable effect, it's almost completely a placebo effect. (I've tried and tested this on multiple cars and it's been debunked a lot online too.)

·
Registered
Oct '20 / VIN47xx. Void, Slate, 20"
554 Posts
@Lambo Not sure how much the roof box will affect it but 135 miles should be fine.

I did much more than this (169 miles) in one go back in November, but I took it quite easy.

169 mostly motorway miles going from 90% to 14%
(corrected for accuracy, added link to quote)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts