Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now really quite fed up with the range after 2 months. Have never achieved more than the equivalent of 140 on full charge. Customer support say that is to be expected in cold weather, which makes a mockery of the range calculator on the site. The car is not really practical at all for day to day driving.

·
Registered
825 Posts
There are several current threads on this. If that was multiple journeys all starting from a cold soaked car, then probably about right.

Normal driving, then something badly wrong. I'm getting 170-190 miles and that includes large chunks of motorway at 80 mph (my commute is 90% motorway). If I steer clear of the motorway, I can scrape 200.

How are you calculating your range? Are you actually using the car and using real data or extrapolating from the daft range indication in the car.

Most likely explanation is that you're working it out wrong to be honest and your available range is nowhere near as bad as you think it is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are several current threads on this. If that was multiple journeys all starting from a cold soaked car, then probably about right.

Normal driving, then something badly wrong. I'm getting 170-190 miles and that includes large chunks of motorway at 80 mph (my commute is 90% motorway). If I steer clear of the motorway, I can scrape 200.

How are you calculating your range? Are you actually using the car and using real data or extrapolating from the daft range indication in the car.

Most likely explanation is that you're working it out wrong to be honest and your available range is nowhere near as bad as you think it is.
Thanks but I have calculated the range as per advised by Polestar support to test it. They just say too bad in effect. .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks but I have calculated the range as per advised by Polestar support to test it. They just say too bad in effect. .
My latest figures were (mainly motorway and cold weather) 52% charge used to deliver 72 miles (so 1.38 miles per 1% or 138 miles full charge).

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
What was your consumption?

Also was that one trip of 72 miles or multiple small trips over several days?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did then drive home later and consumption appeared a bit better (on A roads)

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I did then drive home later and consumption appeared a bit better (on A roads)
Well it would because battery and cabin would already be warm.

Without knowing a ton of factors, like temperature, last charge, how long the car sat stationary, types of roads, weather, driving style, speed, etc... Its hard to really say.

60+kwh/100mi does seem high for a 72 mile trip though, but if you stopped for an hour and it was -10deg C, plus you drove like Lewis Hamilton the whole trip, then yeah its right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it would because battery and cabin would already be warm.

Without knowing a ton of factors, like temperature, last charge, how long the car sat stationary, types of roads, weather, driving style, speed, etc... Its hard to really say.

60+kwh/100mi does seem high for a 72 mile trip though, but if you stopped for an hour and it was -10deg C, plus you drove like Lewis Hamilton the whole trip, then yeah its right.
Thanks.The stop was only 2 minutes (to drop off a laptop). I just feel pretty stupid to have believed the hype about the range, and now have a 3 year lease to put up with and a car that is totally impractical for anything other than very short commutes.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Thanks.The stop was only 2 minutes (to drop off a laptop). I just feel pretty stupid to have believed the hype about the range, and now have a 3 year lease to put up with and a car that is totally impractical for anything other than very short commutes.
Many people here get 175+ miles per charge in -10deg C weather.

If daily range is important preheating while plugged in to your charger will help.

Also if you can put some charge into the car before a trip then this will help too.

Once you hit 15deg or better weather you should be hitting 35kwh/100mi consumption. If not then there is something wrong.

Problem with the cold weather is it kills a battery. Even a Model 3 LR gets a max range of 220miles... And I've easily got 200 out of mine.

I assume no-PPack as you are leasing?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Out of interest @SteveM what was the method Polestar told you to use and also what makes you say their position is that is too bad? I am just curious...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’m averaging 34.1 kWh since I got the car on Tuesday. My daily commute is cross country over Salisbury Plain, for 33 mls each way. Average speed has been 34mph.
Temperature has been steady at 8-9 deg C.
I have preheated in the morning, to 19 degrees, no preheat for the return journey.
Maybe I’ve been lucky, but I think it shows the car is capable of decent efficiency, and in excess of 200+ in range for a full charge

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2 | Snow | Performance Package
26 Posts
I make 8 22.2 mile commutes on the weekends, mostly on the highway. Just now I was able to get 28kwh/100mi and I had heated seats on and the AC set to 68F auto. Ambient temperature was 51F/10C. I also have the Performance Package.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
333 Posts
I make 8 22.2 mile commutes on the weekends, mostly on the highway. Just now I was able to get 28kwh/100mi and I had heated seats on and the AC set to 68F auto. Ambient temperature was 51F/10C. I also have the Performance Package. View attachment 3940
That's impressive, if one could sustain 28.0kWh they'd get the advertised WLTP range of 270 miles which is what the car estimates the range to be at 100% - Frankly, I never thought that'd be possible in real driving circumstances.

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
1,994 Posts
I genuinely can't wait until ambient temperatures hit 20C and I get the latest software to see what I can get out of it (on normal routes and driving) 😁

·
Registered
4 Posts
I make 8 22.2 mile commutes on the weekends, mostly on the highway. Just now I was able to get 28kwh/100mi and I had heated seats on and the AC set to 68F auto. Ambient temperature was 51F/10C. I also have the Performance Package. View attachment 3940
That is amazing! I also have the Performance Pack and the best I have ever gotten was 37.9kwh/100mi.

Gives me hope of when warmer weather comes consumption should improve.

Thanks for info @Hepatightass

1 - 20 of 28 Posts