Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

what range are people getting?

on a 90% charge it says 240 miles (100% is 270- not the 300 advertised).

on 90% I’m lucky if I get 150 and doesn’t seem to make a difference if it’s city or motorway.

this range is really disappointing and would have factored against me choosing it to be honest.

is the above normal, or should I be getting more?

thanks

david

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
If you are getting near empty and have only driven 150 miles, and you weren't driving at 80mph, and you weren't constantly starting with full throttle, and weren't cranking the HVAC to 80F, and it wasn't raining, and you weren't going over mountains, then you might have something for PS to look into.

BTW, 300 (or actually 275) was advertised very early on when they were unsure what it would look like other than from a prototype. The EPA range is 233, and the completely meaningless (for every EV) WLTP range is 290.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
OK first of 300 miles WLTP is like saying your Golf 1.6 Diesel car would do 90mpg.

The only way you would get close to 300 miles is in 22-25deg heat, city driving, no aircon, and windows up.

I assume your "150 miles" is more 10 trips at 15miles each, than one long 150 mile trip?

It's a lot to understand and learn, but here goes the basic.

The Battery likes being between 15-25deg's C. At the moment we are getting 5 Deg's ... and as low as -7 over Xmas.

So every trip you do the car needs to warm the batteries up to at least 15deg's, plus your cabin, plus electric Seats/Wheels. This is all done by the Battery via an Electric Heater ... now let's say that's a 7kW heater. Even 30min's that's 3.5kw's of the battery or 5% (or 10+ miles) just to warm the car up for your 15 miles / 30min trip.

So lots of short trips in winter will drain the battery fast. Where a long trip, using pre-heating while plugged in will get you 180-200 miles in the coldest winter. In the summer when the heater doesn't need to turn itself on (ie. ambient temperature of 15desg's) you will start to see the 220-260+ miles range.

There are factors in the summer too, plus motorway factors that can eke out some more miles from the car.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2 350kW, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
3,328 Posts
There are dozens of threads on here about the range - I'd suggest using the Search box at the top as you'll find lengthy discussions on it.

All vehicles - electric, diesel, petrol, hybrid - vary in range compared to the published figures. You see mpg figures for diesel cars that are frankly ridiculous, and you should apply the same disbelief to EV figures. Some do reach or even exceed their WLTP figures (Hyundai/Kia cars and the Porsche Taycan) in good weather, even with normal driving. Some are miles off, and the Polestar is one of those. It reminds me of an old Mondeo diesel that a friend had; the supposed average mpg was 68mpg yet he got 44mpg. EVs are no different.

The key is to ignore the range estimate on the dash in the Polestar as it's hopeless. Roughly assume about 1.8 miles per 1% of battery in winter, up to about 2.4 miles per 1% of battery in summer - on single trips. Lots of short trips will see that plummet, just like a petrol or diesel car which needs the engine to warm up.

Anyhow I'm repeating what's discussed at length in other threads...

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2 | Snow | Performance Package
95 Posts
Driving habits, weather, tires, PP or no PP, battery temp, etc all factor into the range/efficiency. The best I got was 19kWh/100mi, It was on a 22mi highway drive. I only got it once and haven't gotten these numbers since. The same drive normally gets me 26-30kWh/100mi if I don't push it.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Having driven a limited range EV for several years, I can say all the things mentioned have an impact on range. But the largest is your driving. If I was low on range the absolute biggest thing I could do is SLOW DOWN. The difference even between 55 and 70mph can be huge and mean the difference between making it and being stuck.

And of course the reality is this is no different from an ICE car, where I've actually had the same experience once in the middle of nowhere CO in the dead of winter where we might have frozen to death if we hadn't made it.:oops:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I got super excited yesterday when my 10-mile commute home in 10 degrees c weather hit a record low of 37 kWh/100. Previous record on a 100+ mile drive was 40!

I like my car warm (21c) and drive a bit like a dickhead, but am a little disappointed in the range.
This type of driving is the absolute worst kind for this car. I don’t expect it to improve much. My commute is less and costs me 10% battery. Summer conditions will be better, I guess.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If I was low on range the absolute biggest thing I could do is SLOW DOWN. The difference even between 55 and 70mph can be huge and mean the difference between making it and being stuck.
Spot-on. The mantra for EV roadtrips is “drive slow to go fast.” Slower speed gives you better efficiency/more range & keeps you off of the chargers for longer. Charging kills average trip speed! :p

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2 350kW, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
3,328 Posts
Now here's some interesting information. The Dutch Polestar owners' group on Facebook are reporting that the two things that happened to increase range and efficiency are unlocking 2.2kWh of battery (pretty much what we guessed, once we got rid of the 50km nonsense) and removed the brake disc cleaning function!

I've maintained for a long time that this was the cause of much of the initial high consumption but it did seem to fall on deaf ears. What will be interesting now will be to see if my rear brake discs start to rust up, as I've had on previous EVs with no brake cleaning function. If they stay clean, then we can rule this out as fake news (and I can go back to being wrong ;))...

Reactions: Terran

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Now here's some interesting information. The Dutch Polestar owners' group on Facebook are reporting that the two things that happened to increase range and efficiency are unlocking 2.2kWh of battery (pretty much what we guessed, once we got rid of the 50km nonsense) and removed the brake disc cleaning function!

I've maintained for a long time that this was the cause of much of the initial high consumption but it did seem to fall on deaf ears. What will be interesting now will be to see if my rear brake discs start to rust up, as I've had on previous EVs with no brake cleaning function. If they stay clean, then we can rule this out as fake news (and I can go back to being wrong ;))...
Even on the coldest days I saw an increase of 2mph on every charge at home after the update, so the miles/kwh being added had to also increase a little. Now if I get another significant increase in mph charging when it really warms up, then I may have to reconsider.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is a nice simple range estimator on the Vauxhall website for the Mokka, it has a 50kw battery with a WLTP range of 201 miles, playing with it you can get the range as low as 74 estimated.
I have always been aware and accept how much range is lost in sporty low temperature drives, I do feel that the industry does need to be more upfront with what you can expect in those conditions, there are lots of potentially miffed customers out there.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I've maintained for a long time that this was the cause of much of the initial high consumption but it did seem to fall on deaf ears.
I don't think it fell on deaf ears (unless you're referring to Polestar CS?) , many people acknowledged it (including myself) as a contributory factor to the high start up consumption , and I don't remember anyone disputing it either?

Anyways let's keep an eye out for shiny brake pads (I think I've still heard the discs scraping when I first set off from my drive , post update, but might be my imagination. I'll listen a bit more attentively now!)

1 - 20 of 216 Posts