Polestar Forum banner
181 - 200 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
Void, Slate, Non-PP on 19's
200 Posts
"post purchase Dissonance has certainly kicked in strongly here and everyone is justifying their purchase."

It hasn't. That is transference on your part. You are not the first to be caught out here. But plenty of us twigged to this issue before purchase, and proceeded anyway after we decided it still worked for us. I do object to your categorisation of those of us in that group to being in the pay or pocket of polestar. We're not. Yes it is emotive. For you.

You have our sympathy as it is a big difference. But please don't lash out. We are trying to be sympathetic to your plight and point out the realities and what can be done to improve things.

·
Registered
23 Posts
"post purchase Dissonance has certainly kicked in strongly here and everyone is justifying their purchase."

It hasn't. That is transference on your part. You are not the first to be caught out here. But plenty of us twigged to this issue before purchase, and proceeded anyway after we decided it still worked for us. I do object to your categorisation of those of us in that group to being in the pay or pocket of polestar. We're not. Yes it is emotive. For you.

You have our sympathy as it is a big difference. But please don't lash out. We are trying to be sympathetic to your plight and point out the realities and what can be done to improve things.
JW

thank you for your feedback and I think you’ll find that this is open banter ... I regret that you’ve taken a disliking to the post which is certainly not my intention. The post will only be appropriate to people that take objection through it if there is any truth in the matter. ... i’m have been a Volvo driver for the past 22 years and have been extremely loyal to the brand and it’s spin-off PS2 .. bearing in mind, I had the opportunity of returning the vehicle for a full refund which I declined at the time.

I don’t believe that I have lashed but demonstrated then I feel passionately about the point that I’m trying to make and hence I’m swimming against the tide with the various opposing views - I am totally frustrated by the onslaught of a one-way conversation here ... that being said there are certainly hints of sympathy and a resurrection of past memories that highlighted similar situations that some of you faced when you first bought the vehicle.

as one of my managers told me as a young intern ,

“don’t bring me problems, bring me solutions”

thx for your feedback and be rest assured that my tonality would certainly be different if I was in the highly unlikely mode of lashing out. ... there is certainly no point in breaking the forum rules and for the avoidance of doubt, I have no intention of doing so. What’s interesting is that after I’ve done some further research on RANGE, within this forum, it appears that this particular thread has evoked, to date, 189 responses compared to an average of about 40 on previous threads ... this is what I mean about regurgitating the same information, over and over and over again. 😅

Good night all ... happy charging⚡⚡⚡⚡

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Dual Motor Launch Edition 2021 - Void
174 Posts
It’s very simple ... you’re talking about a massive percentage drop from what I was told ... irrespective of what my Exie 90 gave which by the way it was an approx 20% difference that I excepted. ... however the difference between 335 and 200 is HUGE
You keep quoting the 335, but Polestar on their website alone places a lot of asterisks around that number:

Font Screenshot Number Brand Circle

Font Art Writing Pattern Number

Font Screenshot Number Terrestrial plant Document

You keep referring to the information Polestar has given you, and that 335 miles, but it's right there on the site. And it's well known that winter is even harder on range. So the whole issue you have shouldn't even be an issue, and that's what everyone here is telling you.

post purchase Dissonance has certainly kicked in strongly here and everyone is justifying their purchase.
In relation to above, there is no justifying anyone's purchase. It's well known that the WLTP figures are complete hogwash. This is no different that the mpg figures carmakers have been touting over the years. And you compare to Tesla, but Tesla is widely reported to be one of the worst ones compared to their (usually EPA which is more accurate to start with) reported range.

Also bolding different words or suddenly CAPITALISING them doesn't help.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
you’re talking about a massive percentage drop from what I was told
If you believe everything that a marketing person tells you, I have a bridge to sell you. It's a really fine bridge. You'll love it ;)

sadly been hit with the realisation of the range monster.
You and every single person who's ever purchased an EV. We (and every other EV buyer) have come to realize what you are just learning. EVs are great; range is still an issue. Even with a 520 mile range Lucid Air, if you drive it in the dead of winter on a lot of short trips, you aren't going to get near 500 miles on it. Just a fact of life...I mean chemistry.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
i’m have been a Volvo driver for the past 22 years and have been extremely loyal to the brand and it’s spin-off PS2 .. bearing in mind, I had the opportunity of returning the vehicle for a full refund which I declined at the time.
And Volvo makes fine cars, both ICEs and EVs. But not even Volvo can defy the chemistry of batteries, nor do they control the WLTP. No one ever drives a car to get the WLTP figure. It is calculated based on several factors. It is simply a number, and sadly it is in no way representative of what you will get driving the car. But guess what... the salesmen at Volvo, Tesla, Rivian, VW, etc. etc. love to quote those numbers because it's not illegal or even particularly unethical to do so. They didn't lie to you.

·
Registered
Ordered MY 2022 on Friday 13th of August! Long Range Dual-Motor, Snow/Nappa, Pilot, Plus, Tow hitch
376 Posts
Not sure if this is the right thread as not strictly range, but a better indicator of how the car handles long distance driving:
TeslaBjørn just did a new 1000KM challenge in a P*2 PP with P1.7 software. The car came out much better than previous tests and did the challenge in a little over 10:30, which is on a par with the WV ID's and a very respectable time. He was especially impressed by the charging curve if you can use 150kW+ chargers.

This was in cool, Nordic conditions, but included the plus-pack heatpump. A non-PP in warmer, dry conditions should be able to hit the 10:20 mark.

So far, the video hasn't been edited, so is only available on the live channel:
Pt. 1:
Pt. 2:

Reactions: Korreborg

·
Registered
Thunder, non PP, towbar
201 Posts
Absolutely feel your pain about the range @Mayor but (and I really hate the phrase I am about to use for its passive aggressive implication) "It Is What It Is".

I once complained to Honda in 2004 when my new Accord Tourer diesel fell short of its stated economy figures by about 30%. At the time funds were tight and I had estimated my future fuel bills as part of my monthly outgoings. Of course my complaint went nowhere so I just drank cheaper wine to compensate (not less of course).

If you search back this forum will have had several threads about a year ago about the realities of the car's range complete with expressions of woe and gnashings of teeth. The latest (1.7) update seems to have improved range. I no longer have range anxiety but I still have charger anxiety (will it work, will it be vacant, will an ICE be blocking the unit?). I completed a return trip to Liverpool one day last week (~480 miles) with two problem free charge stops adding about 100kW in total. I started out on 100% with the car preheated and managed the first 180 mile leg to Crewe (temp 6-7°C) at about 31kW/100 miles arriving with 25% charge remaining. Given that we don't charge from 0-100% during charge stops - more like 10-25 to 80-90 over which the rate of charge is quickest - in practice there is very little advantage to having a car with a bit more range. I presume that most journeys you make will be much shorter anyway and the bulk of your charging will be at home.

As a forum we exist to learn from each others, help members new to EVs and to entertain. I have no problem with you working through your catharsis. So welcome, let it all out and in time you will hopefully become a happier owner.

·
Registered
190 Posts
One should only by an EV in summer :). We had a lot of range discussions last autumn/winter, but not so much during spring/summer.

It's a learning curve. Over time my behavior has changed and I no longer consider range an issue. Charger reliability/availability still worries me a bit though when leaving my normal routers.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
I no longer have range anxiety but I still have charger anxiety (will it work, will it be vacant, will an ICE be blocking the unit?).
It's a learning curve. Over time my behavior has changed and I no longer consider range an issue. Charger reliability/availability still worries me a bit though when leaving my normal routers.
For any new EV driver, this is it. It's a new thing, and there's apprehension. Once you charge in the wild a few times the anxiety associated with range dissipates. Charger anxiety will hopefully dissipate as the infrastructure improves.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2 350kW, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
3,275 Posts
This thread is irritating.

"I'm not getting the range I was promised".
"Here are the reasons and some suggestions."
"No, I'm not getting the range I was promised. Why don't you understand that?"
"Here are the circumstances and why."
"No I bought the EXTENDED range one. Why don't you people understand the meaning of the word?"
"Because it's not referred to as that. It's the Long Range (LR) model. Here's an example from Polestar's own website which will match what's on your purchase order and spec sheet."
"No, I'm not getting the range I was promised. What's wrong with you people, you keep giving me the same answer?"
"Ok, well, we're trying. Lots of YouTube videos, Facebook pages, online reviews all showed realistic range estimates but you keep looking at a headline figure measured in one set of circumstances and wondering why you don't get it in a completely different set of circumstances."
"Are you guys working for Polestar because you keep giving me information I don't like? I just want you all to tell me I'm right so I can feel better and tell Polestar everyone is up in arms about it. But you all seem happy with it so you're all idiots and living in la-la land."
"Ok. Have a nice life. Enjoy having a similarly frustrating one-way discussion with Polestar."

I think this forum probably isn't for you as two way discussions are welcome. A brick wall and rudeness (it's not banter when it's rude) in return for people taking the time to explain facts to you is just annoying and people will stop replying...

hides under the nearest desk with a metal dustbin lid on my head

·
Registered
6 Posts
The range conversation/complaint is something I've seen played out more times than I can count in the last 8 years.
Specifically, expectations that the arbitrary comparison number (NEDC/EPA/WLTP) isn't achievable in the season/manner/usage pattern a new owner expected.
"Real world" range isn't something that is hard to find lot's of info about, down to the specific model/configuration for many vehicles.
A complaint of <20% off (during cool to cold weather) of the incredibly optimistic WLTP range numbers (that are always listed as up to xxx anyway) is baffling.
Not unusual in almost all forums to see new owners shocked to see they are getting 40% less than the even lower EPA numbers during fall/winter. Often the question comes as "My range has been dropping quickly. Is there something wrong with my battery? Will I get a warranty replacement?" Some have gone as far as to argue the listed range number should be required to reflect the absolute worst case scenario. 100 mph is sub zero temps? While towing?

When Honda started receiving complaints about their Fit EV winter range, they added a document to the lease paperwork requiring the owner to acknowledge that range could be up to 50% less in winter.
Backstory/sidetrack; Honda decided that an ultraconservative "guess-o-meter" for range would prevent people from running out of charge. The Fit EV had an EPA range of 82 miles. One owner in the New England area of the US kept his parked outside, but plugged into an EVSE. He came out one morning with temps below zero (F) and the car covered in snow. Shoveled it out, got in and "started it". With a full battery the estimated range was.... 0 (zero) :eek:.

EVs have a learning curve. They hold benefits unforeseen by many that are new to them, but also some "gotcha's". For most, the benefits far outweigh the detriments. An overwhelming majority of EV owners don't go back to ICE vehicles for their next purchase.

To what level should range issues be disclosed to a buyer prior to a purchase? Is it on the buyer to research? The government to developer "winter" range numbers that are tied to your particular climate? A set of speed/temperature charts? Or a warning label/sticker on the car? In the US, disposable lighters now have a sticker warning the user to extinguish the lighter before putting it in their pocket. No matter how complex and regulated the stated range number or numbers get, it will never completely cover all possible scenarios.
Nobody wants to see a disillusioned EV buyer. I don't know what the best way to ensure that potential owners know everything they need to before purchasing - require they pass an online test on range, charging, etc before allowing them to buy?

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
The range conversation/complaint is something I've seen played out more times than I can count in the last 8 years.
Specifically, expectations that the arbitrary comparison number (NEDC/EPA/WLTP) isn't achievable in the season/manner/usage pattern a new owner expected.
"Real world" range isn't something that is hard to find lot's of info about, down to the specific model/configuration for many vehicles.
A complaint of <20% off (during cool to cold weather) of the incredibly optimistic WLTP range numbers (that are always listed as up to xxx anyway) is baffling.
Not unusual in almost all forums to see new owners shocked to see they are getting 40% less than the even lower EPA numbers during fall/winter. Often the question comes as "My range has been dropping quickly. Is there something wrong with my battery? Will I get a warranty replacement?" Some have gone as far as to argue the listed range number should be required to reflect the absolute worst case scenario. 100 mph is sub zero temps? While towing?

When Honda started receiving complaints about their Fit EV winter range, they added a document to the lease paperwork requiring the owner to acknowledge that range could be up to 50% less in winter.
Backstory/sidetrack; Honda decided that an ultraconservative "guess-o-meter" for range would prevent people from running out of charge. The Fit EV had an EPA range of 82 miles. One owner in the New England area of the US kept his parked outside, but plugged into an EVSE. He came out one morning with temps below zero (F) and the car covered in snow. Shoveled it out, got in and "started it". With a full battery the estimated range was.... 0 (zero) :eek:.

EVs have a learning curve. They hold benefits unforeseen by many that are new to them, but also some "gotcha's". For most, the benefits far outweigh the detriments. An overwhelming majority of EV owners don't go back to ICE vehicles for their next purchase.

To what level should range issues be disclosed to a buyer prior to a purchase? Is it on the buyer to research? The government to developer "winter" range numbers that are tied to your particular climate? A set of speed/temperature charts? Or a warning label/sticker on the car? In the US, disposable lighters now have a sticker warning the user to extinguish the lighter before putting it in their pocket. No matter how complex and regulated the stated range number or numbers get, it will never completely cover all possible scenarios.
Nobody wants to see a disillusioned EV buyer. I don't know what the best way to ensure that potential owners know everything they need to before purchasing - require they pass an online test on range, charging, etc before allowing them to buy?
Excellent post. Thank you.

·
Registered
684 Posts
two way discussions are welcome. A brick wall and rudeness (it's not banter when it's rude) in return for people taking the time to explain facts to you is just annoying and people will stop replying...
A fair few of our forum members are a lot more tolerant than me. I gave the benefit of the doubt initially, but clearly brick wall not getting through.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
When I test drove the XC40 BEV I saw they only listed the %SOC gauge. Pretty sure that's the right way to go.

We all deal with just that battery % info on our phones, laptops, etc. We all know "OK 10% left... yeah probably should plug in" or "80%? oh I'm fine"
Displaying a GOM %SOC<->mi/km conversion is incredibly error prone, misleading, and basically leads to this whole thread.
And every ICE I had before an EV I just had a fuel gauge - I'd have to go into a sub menu to find the estimated range left. Why should that be different on an EV?

Just show the % left. Everyone will come up with their own way to deal with that info as they need, and as they do now, just without the aggravation that the GOM induces.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Not unusual in almost all forums to see new owners shocked to see they are getting 40% less than the even lower EPA numbers during fall/winter.
Well said @PSinOR . It's a steep learning curve on your first EV, and a lot more to consider than an ICE. Charging is yet another complexity. Your average public are going to initially struggle with the complexities compared to just jumping in an ice, but that's the price we're going have to pay to ween ourselves off fossil fuels, and give EV's a bit of effort they are rewarding, do have their many advantages, and I won't be going back to ICE.

·
Registered
684 Posts
We all deal with just that battery % info on our phones, laptops, etc. We all know "OK 10% left... yeah probably should plug in" or "80%? oh I'm fine"
And every ICE I had before an EV I just had a fuel gauge
We really forget that, all the cars most of us owned just had a fuel gauge, marked with 100%,75%,50%,25%, and then red if you were fancy! Now we complain if google maps is 1% out on our arrival SOC estimate! (after accounting of weather conditions, traffic, expected speed, altitude, crowd sourced data etc). We're spoilt.

181 - 200 of 216 Posts