Polestar Forum banner
161 - 180 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
With the number of people that are giving a positive response towards the range of the vehicle, makes me feel are heavy and I’m natural bias towards Polestar ... I do sincerely hope that all the people on this forum are genuine polestar users and not affiliated to polestar directly.
They're not giving a positive response, they're giving a realistic response as to why your actual mileage figures are not matching published (which never do for an ICE as pointed out elsewhere too) and they're trying to answer your questions reasonably. Don't mistake it for blind faith or affiliation with Polestar just because you don't like the answers you're getting from real world users.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The app is a lot more predictable than my 16 y.o. 🤣
They're not giving a positive response, they're giving a realistic response as to why your actual mileage figures are not matching published (which never do for an ICE as pointed out elsewhere too) and they're trying to answer your questions reasonably. Don't mistake it for blind faith or affiliation with Polestar just because you don't like the answers you're getting from real world users.
thx whiteco ... what is it that you don’t understand ? I made a simple point. I didn’t expect a regurgitated answer from a number of you to say exactly the same thing. ... The facts still remains the same and so no need to waste time on regurgitating the same thing over, and over, and over again !

that being said, I appreciate a response from anyone since this is how we learn.

·
Registered
684 Posts
what is it that you don’t understand ?
that being said, I appreciate a response from anyone since this is how we learn.
That being said you don't appear to be learning. Every so often someone joins the forum, vents and knocks out a dozen emails about how the car doesn't live up to their expectations, doesn't listen to any reason, and then disappears in less than 24h. Not saying your one of them or that you're trolling, and maybe you'll turn in to a longer term contributor. Until that day. Ignored. Life's too short

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
2,099 Posts
🤣🤣🤣 I agree with that but I’m just surprised as to how positively defensive people are on the range issue when the reality has certainly not been met by the expectation and hence the huge amount of disappointment.
12 months ago the majority of the forum (me at the very least) was largely less positive on this matter. You have to learn to pick your battles with this car!
-I doubt I’ll buy another car without browsing user forums first.

·
Registered
On order; Polestar 2 SRSM, Plus, Magensium, Slate
104 Posts
🤣🤣🤣 I agree with that but I’m just surprised as to how positively defensive people are on the range issue when the reality has certainly not been met by the expectation and hence the huge amount of disappointment.

oh well, better get back to work ... have to pay for those extra miles 😜
It’s not so much expectation, the WTLP tests are pure fantasy but Polestar are obliged to test to them and publish accordingly - it seems to be the rule of thumb is 75% of WTLP is realistic in the summer, less in the winter depending on driving style. I am under no illusions my SRSM will be getting about 200 miles in the summer, down to maybe 150 miles in the winter and with a 115 mile round-trip commute that works for me.

Your Tesla figures are probably EPA, they are more accurate; look at the WTLP figures for the Tesla; the relationship to real world consumption is comparable to what you are getting.

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
23 Posts
That being said you don't appear to be learning. Every so often someone joins the forum, vents and knocks out a dozen emails about how the car doesn't live up to their expectations, doesn't listen to any reason, and then disappears in less than 24h. Not saying your one of them or that you're trolling, and maybe you'll turn in to a longer term contributor. Until that day. Ignored. Life's too short
Are you sure you’re not writing that to yourself 😅? It’s not personal😍 ... as I explained, we’ve had the same regurgitated answers and it appears that it is you that in fact hasn’t learnt ... you’re not being positive in this whole discussion ... this is a FORUM where one can benefit from peoples experiences. ... if “life is too short “ then please stop wasting time and and being quite frankly, pretty patronising.

in the meantime, I look forward to your next unique, positive contribution.

Thank you

·
Registered
684 Posts
12 months ago the majority of the forum (me at the very least) was largely less positive on this matter. You have to learn to pick your battles with this car!
-I doubt I’ll buy another car without browsing user forums first.
Yes, it doesn't help, getting your car in the winter AND if its your first EV (was for me), double whammy of reality. But I get EPA figures, so I'm fine and can live with that.

·
Registered
250 Posts
“Did I complain “

didn’t need to complain as the mileage figures on my Volvo XC 90 were pretty much as expected and besides , I PAID EXTRA FOR A LONGER RANGE” ... and hence now you can understand why I feel gypped that I’m not getting my extra performance as described.

to talk about complaining previously is not really helping the discussion here ... i’ve contacted PS to to let them know that I’m not happy with the range and so I’ll see what they say ... that’s a direct communication with them and not a complaint but a pure justification that is required from them as to why they charged me extra money for something that was promised and was certainly not delivered.
are you sure you have an EV?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I should really learn to be a little bit more calmer on this issue but as you can see it’s something that’s irritated me immensely. ... I should also take note of the things that have been discussed on the forum (even repeatedly).

Thanks to everyone for their feedback, especially Frank Bullit ... The words are greatly appreciated and I’m sure I’ll be saying the same as you to another new be like me, eight months down the line

ps ... also thx to Whitco3 ...
it’s certainly not my intention to be an arse out of hell coming into the group with all guns blazing. ... thank you for all your patience and assistance on the matter ... my wife was kicking me under the table 🤣

·
Registered
6 Posts
As a point of reference for those not aware, the EPA numbers are derived by multiplying the actual test numbers by .7 to better reflect real world results.
But that being said, EV range results will vary greatly based on a number of variables, by far the most impactful being temperature. I do lots of outreach events educating the public about EVs, and this is something we always bring up in the conversation.
As a rule of thumb most people will exceed the EPA number in moderate weather if their driving pattern is a hwy/city mix. Higher temps will reduce it a little, lower temps will hit it very hard indeed. If you look at a full year, it pretty much averages out. Easiest way we've found to explain it something like:
"70% of the energy in the gas in your tank becomes waste heat (and the reason you need a big radiator on your car). ICE vehicles are able to capture that heat to keep you warm and comfy when it is cold. EVs need to take energy from the battery to accomplish this (heated seats are generally more efficient at this), and that means less range.
Other factors often found in winter time, like wet roads, also reduce efficiency and range. These factors impact all vehicles equally, it is just more noticeable on EVs where remaining range is highlighted."
In the US, the big complaint is often that it is impossible to get the EPA range when driving at 75 mph on the freeway. That is the metric people often want to see, and the EPA testing does not include a segment that even vaguely resembles that scenario (both the standard highway and "high speed" tests average 48 mph during the test cycle).

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
These factors impact all vehicles equally, it is just more noticeable on EVs where remaining range is highlighted."
EVs will be more successful when we stop talking about range altogether. I can't ever remember an ICE being advertised as having a certain range. We need a paradigm shift in EV marketing and usage. ICEs have mpg and gas tank size (that is rarely spoken about). EVs have mpge and kWH. In an ICE, when your tank gets low, you fill up. In my EV, when my battery gets low I plug in (and I get to do it at home 99% of the time!) It's really very simple.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
The facts still remains the same...
Yes they do.

You also say you did research however it does not appear you did. There have been plenty of review and youtube videos over the past year showing the range of the Polestar 2 (Long Range Dual Motor) with it's range in the 200-240 miles (Winter - Summer).

It wasn't like 2020 where we all brought blind and expected 250+, you've had a year of knowledge out there ... including this forum.

I was referring to my previous car ( Xc90) as the forum contributor had suggested that I’d never complained about my previous car 😜
Engine Official MPG Real MPG Avg.
D5 45.6–49.6 mpg 33.9 mpg
T5 34.9–35.8 mpg 28.3 mpg
T6 34.1–36.7 mpg 24.6 mpg
T8 108.6 mpg 36.6 mpg

So you didn't complain that the MPG wasn't anywhere near the published figures?

·
Super Moderator
1,731 Posts
EVs will be more successful when we stop talking about range altogether.
Well, to be fair, that can only happen when they have -enough- range.

My trip to visit my family takes careful planning and three charges.

I used to be able to do that exact same round trip in my Diesel BMW on a single tank and almost two hours faster!

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Well, to be fair, that can only happen when they have -enough- range.

My trip to visit my family takes careful planning and three charges.

I used to be able to do that exact same round trip in my Diesel BMW on a single tank and almost two hours faster!
No doubt. But the concept is certainly important.

When you get your Lucid Air you'll be able to make that trip just as fast :D

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
@Mayor I think the frustration you're seeing is a result of being the Nth person who's come new to the forum with an initial complaint of range/efficiency.
Most of us have found the range/efficiency to be fine for us, else we would have not gotten the car or have jumped to a different one.
Given the number of real world tests of the range out there it's laughable that you'd expect some sort of compensation for the range - all of this has been known for a full year now.

As one real world test, Bjorn repeated his 1000km challenges with two different Polestars, a single motor standard range and a dual motor long range Performance pack. He got 11:15h in the SMSR and 10:40h in the Performance car. And this is at some of the lowest temps he's done the test in, which sandbags the Polestars relative to the competition. Full results haven't been posted but you can see the prior tests here:

Current tests (if you really want to watch... can also skim to bottom of the chat boxes):

First, this shows that the interval software updates have significantly improved the cars since his first test in a Performance spec was done in 11:30h. Yay for Polestar's software development!! ;)

Second, relative to a model 3 performance tested in warmer weather at 9:55h, the Polestar Performance is <10% slower over 1000km, and relative to a bigger batter model 3 LR tested in ideal conditions, it's <15% slower.
With a single motor, extended range with the 19" nonPerformance spec, I'd expect those deltas to be more like 5-10% rather than 10-15%, especially if driven in warmer weather.

And the model 3 is ~25% more efficient at highway speeds, so the relative refueling costs would be ~25% more expensive with the Polestar.

If you're doing a bunch of road tripping and range/charging matters, then yeah the Model 3 is pretty much optimized for that.
Else, expect to spend ~5-15% longer on a long road trip with the Polestar and to spend 25% more on kWh.

For me, given our long road trips are <5% of the miles in the car, and given I still have a lot of fast charging credit left to spend, and how relatively cheap fast charging is even without credits, I'm 100% happy to go with the Polestar.

YMMV, literally

·
Registered
23 Posts
It’s very simple ... you’re talking about a massive percentage drop from what I was told ... irrespective of what my Exie 90 gave which by the way it was an approx 20% difference that I excepted. ... however the difference between 335 and 200 is HUGE

Why do some people keep going on about the comparison of Regular fuel vehicles versus the PS2 ... i’m only interested in my car and nothing else 🙈

We need to stick to the point and focus on the topic raised. ... this is obviously a very emotional topic for some of you guys to handle. ... post purchase Dissonance has certainly kicked in strongly here and everyone is justifying their purchase. don’t misunderstand me as I actually love the vehicle but I am unhappy about the range issue. ... it’s simply not acceptable to talk about the fact that I should’ve known and I should’ve researched and all that kind of nonsense. ... that’s no excuse.
People I’ve already said that this is an emotive topic and one that is repeatedly brought up ... so please excuse me for being one of those Newbys dad sadly been hit with the realisation of the range monster.

161 - 180 of 216 Posts