Polestar Forum banner
1461 - 1480 of 1497 Posts

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
1,598 Posts
This is a big deal, and undoubtedly widespread. Just like when we transitioned from the horse to the ICE, we need a lot more education. I usually direct people to Plug In America as a good start: pluginamerica.org
Manufacturers should do more to educate people - I still occasionally find people AC charging on DC chargers and complaining their car takes ages to charge and they should never had got an EV etc.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Manufacturers should do more to educate people - I still occasionally find people AC charging on DC chargers and complaining their car takes ages to charge and they should never had got an EV etc.
Well... we have a problem in that the dealers themselves aren't up to speed, so whatever they're telling their customers is misinformation, too, even if it's done with good intentions.

And I've been surprised at how many people think EVs are fire risks, even though there's something like 60 times more ICE fires than EV fires (normalized on a basis of X number of vehicles, of course).

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
we have a problem in that the dealers themselves aren't up to speed, so whatever they're telling their customers is misinformation, too
All the more reason to get dealers out of the equation once and for all. Those guys are mostly crooks that prey on buyers and suck money out of the system. They've never known much beyond how to bamboozle people trying to buy a car. And before the flames come out, I'm not saying ALL of them are like that, but a large portion are.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
All the more reason to get dealers out of the equation once and for all. Those guys are mostly crooks that prey on buyers and suck money out of the system. They've never known much beyond how to bamboozle people trying to buy a car. And before the flames come out, I'm not saying ALL of them are like that, but a large portion are.
I had a great guy when I bought my BMW back in 2008. I had done my research. We both knew what money he and the dealership was making off the deal. I was fine with that. I don't think he was typical. So, in the end, I think a great dealership with dedicated professionals is better than mail order and that mail order is better than most dealerships.

But then, I'm a guy who buys plenty of stuff on Amazon, but at the same time regrets that a great little local bookshop has died (even though I tried to get my books there).

What can I say... I leave a conflicted life.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
I had a great guy when I bought my BMW back in 2008. I had done my research. We both knew what money he and the dealership was making off the deal. I was fine with that. I don't think he was typical. So, in the end, I think a great dealership with dedicated professionals is better than mail order and that mail order is better than most dealerships.

But then, I'm a guy who buys plenty of stuff on Amazon, but at the same time regrets that a great little local bookshop has died (even though I tried to get my books there).

What can I say... I leave a conflicted life.
When I bought my first EV, they gave me the salesman who was there "tech" guy (after all, most salesmen are only skilled at psychological manipulation). If I hadn't already done my own research online and through forums, there is no way I would have bought that car, and if I did I would have been totally dissapointed since 90% of what he told me was BS.

·
Super Moderator
2,219 Posts
Something absolutely outrageous happened today. I parked in the local supermarket car park to pick up contact lenses from the optician.

As I was walking back to my car, there was another bloke a few metres in front of me.

HE DIDN'T LOOK AT THE CAR.

Not even a glance... Just walked straight past it. I nearly shouted to ask him what he was playing at...

·
Registered
MY22 LRDM Snow Pilot Plus 20" wheels
362 Posts
Something absolutely outrageous happened today. I parked in the local supermarket car park to pick up contact lenses from the optician.

As I was walking back to my car, there was another bloke a few metres in front of me.

Not even a glance... Just walked straight past it. I nearly shouted to ask him what he was playing at...
How very dare he!!! 😲

·
Registered
Void, Charcoal
616 Posts

Something analogous happened to me about a year ago.

I came back from a bike outing and was in the process of mounting the bike on the rack, attached to the trailer hitch. Guy, also on a bike, comes up and looks at the whole thing, then says "nice bike rack" and walks away.

Given that the rack is a rather generic one, the kind that Amazon sells for little money, I wanted to shout at him: "You compliment the rack, but you have nothing at all to say about the car?!?"

Some people... sheesh.

·
Registered
Void, Charcoal
616 Posts
On a more positive note:

Gas meter inspector came for a check-up the other day. I had moved the car out of the garage and into the driveway to provide better access.

Gas meter guy: "How do you like the car? I'm seriously thinking of getting one myself. Man - those gas [other kind of gas] prices are killing me! My Jeep is eating me alive!"

(He never mentioned a particular brand, nor asked about it. No idea if he knew what he was looking at, or whether it was just another "Tesla" to him...)

·
Registered
Dual Motor | Snow | Plus/Pilot/Performance
347 Posts
And as an example, if you think about the Bolt fires, this is how that became an issue -- people consistently charging to 100% and discharging to near zero.
You can't blame people for that.
If an ICE car would have a chance of blowing up if you almost ran the tank dry all the time, no one would defend it and blame it on the driver.
Even if it was buried somewhere in the manual or common knowledge.

·
Registered
27 Posts

I know why - the clue is hidden in your anecdote. Optician. The guy was legally blind so didn’t see your P2. Must’ve been. Elementary deduction

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
You can't blame people for that.
If an ICE car would have a chance of blowing up if you almost ran the tank dry all the time, no one would defend it and blame it on the driver.
Even if it was buried somewhere in the manual or common knowledge.
No doubt that EVs need to be made for dummies as the market grows. In that sense you can blame the manufacturer - which is essentially what happened with the recall. Cars ought to be setup so that 100% is really 90%, and 0% is really 10%. Then they could have a "trip mode" that allows you to get to 100% on L1 or L2 charging only. It could last only a few hours before the battery started to discharge back to 90%. L3 charging could be capped at 80%.

·
Registered
Dual Motor | Snow | Plus/Pilot/Performance
347 Posts
No doubt that EVs need to be made for dummies as the market grows. In that sense you can blame the manufacturer - which is essentially what happened with the recall. Cars ought to be setup so that 100% is really 90%, and 0% is really 10%. Then they could have a "trip mode" that allows you to get to 100% on L1 or L2 charging only. It could last only a few hours before the battery started to discharge back to 90%. L3 charging could be capped at 80%.
Exactly. The manufacturer has to make sure that normal operation can't harm the car.
Mechanical abuse is not normal operation. But charging it to an allowed setting without a warning is normal operation.
Tesla throws warnings in your face if you charge it to 100% regularly. I've never seen that in the P2.

·
Registered
Void, Charcoal
616 Posts
Yes, and let's have this UI element for the times when you occasionally need to charge to "true" 100%:

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
1461 - 1480 of 1497 Posts