Polestar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Does anyone know if you can actually manage/read/draft emails on the infotainment system and your calender?

Thanks
Skywalker

·
Registered
850 Posts
There's not a gmail app yet in the store for Android Automotive, nor a browser. It occurred to me earlier that one reason we may not see a bunch of streaming video/generic browser apps in the store is that we're getting all the bandwidth for free for 3 (hopefully +1) years and Polestar wants to be sure we're not soaking up loads over the 4G.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
873 Posts
There are many solutions to this problem, and I'd be surprised if they haven't considered this, as bringing your own sim card is possible (and was and hope still is on their roadmap for enabling the car's wifi hotspot for your devices to connect to).

You could have apps that are bandwidth hungry limited to when connected to WiFi or when using the customer provided SIM card's network.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,888 Posts
As I understand it, when the app arrives, it will allow you to set up the car's internet connection as a wifi hotspot in the car.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,602 Posts
As I understand it, when the app arrives, it will allow you to set up the car's internet connection as a wifi hotspot in the car.
I recall they specifically weren’t allowing the car to be used as a hotspot. If they did they’d end up paying for my kids hogging bandwidth while watching Netflix from the backseat.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,888 Posts
Yep, well the delivery chap said he was beta-testing the app which specifically did this.

Do I believe him? 50/50 at best. He also told me that he and the guys "played around with the charge limit setting at the depot and it didn't really make any difference" 🤦‍♂️ I suspect that the app will let you configure your own SIM card in the spare slot.

Reactions: Mick
1 - 6 of 6 Posts