Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about a thread summarizing what's out there to consider in addition to the Polestar 2.

Suggested rules? Something in the same price range (sorry Taycan), BEV only...

Of course there are the Teslas and new discussion about the pros and cons would be fine, but I'm more interested in the experiences with the Audi e-tron, the Byton, the Lucid, etc...

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I come from the BMW crowd, but never liked the looks of the i3. IMHO, BMW's previous CEO blew BMW's early lead with BEVs.

I'm still anxiously awaiting my Polestar 2 and I don't like the current BMW design language. Still, if this were out now, I'd have to give it a hard look.

Interestingly, the specs are not far off those of the Polestar 2.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I come from the BMW crowd, but never liked the looks of the i3. IMHO, BMW's previous CEO blew BMW's early lead with BEVs.

I'm still anxiously awaiting my Polestar 2 and I don't like the current BMW design language. Still, if this were out now, I'd have to give it a hard look.

Interestingly, the specs are not far off those of the Polestar 2.

Bu they are now saying November 2021 and actual deliveries in March 22... That's a delay of 18 months (at least) from the original target and in the fast moving world of BEV its just not good enough.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Having said goodbye to our P2, we looked around. There is nothing near it in the price point (UK). In the end we settled on a lease for 2 years on an eNero 4+.
Functional, safe, practical, but...........:cry:

·
Registered
2021 2
2,566 Posts
How about a thread summarizing what's out there to consider in addition to the Polestar 2.

Suggested rules? Something in the same price range (sorry Taycan), BEV only...

Of course there are the Teslas and new discussion about the pros and cons would be fine, but I'm more interested in the experiences with the Audi e-tron, the Byton, the Lucid, etc...
Available now in the US:
Kona
Niro
Model 3
Model Y
e-tron
IPace
Model S

Coming soon but not here yet:
MachE
XC40

Coming 'soon' (planned in 2021-2022 - but deliveries not imminent):
Lucid Air
BMW i4

Others that I don't think are the same class but are interesting:
Rivian R1S, R1T
Model X
Taycan
Bolt
BMW i3
Mini SE
Leaf
Fiat 500e

Maybe forgetting some for sure!

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent list, doctor! Now... which of those did you actually consider?

I eliminated the Teslas early on. 'Not quite sure why. Something to do with the look of them and Musk. I think the only one I'd consider that's available now is the e-tron fastback or the iPace, but I'm not in love with either.

I keep coming back to the Polestar. To me, it seems an optimum combination of design, looks, performance, and practicality.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Like you, I rejected Teslas earlier on – I admire the efficiency and improvements they make, but really don’t get on with their design language or build quality.

The genius of the Polestar is that it has great build quality and specification, together with performance that will keep a keen driver interested, while keeping the price realistic.

To produce a car with arguably comparable agility to the I-Pace that is 2/3 of the price in UK is a real achievement. Similarly, to produce car with, say, 80 to 90% of the ability of the Taycan at less than half the price is outstanding.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,566 Posts
Like you, I rejected Teslas earlier on – I admire the efficiency and improvements they make, but really don’t get on with their design language or build quality.

The genius of the Polestar is that it has great build quality and specification, together with performance that will keep a keen driver interested, while keeping the price realistic.

To produce a car with arguably comparable agility to the I-Pace that is 2/3 of the price in UK is a real achievement. Similarly, to produce car with, say, 80 to 90% of the ability of the Taycan at less than half the price is outstanding.
Kona/Niro were written off by mrs. p early - she hated them. I agree they're not the best lookers but I kind of don't get the hate. I think she still associates Kia = cheap crap. Without that I think the Niro Premium trim would have been in there but still likely at the bottom of the short list. It does feel less nice and not as fun to drive as the rest. Bolt, i3, mini SE, Leaf, Fiat500 were all too small.

Had an XC40 deposit and in our heads that was mutually exclusive with the P*2 and came down to sedan vs crossover preference. Also the P*2 I expect is more fun to drive.
Never really considered the MachE. Partly because it isn't here yet and don't want to wait even longer. But also don't like the looks exterior or interior.

The Teslas as a whole were written off for anti-Tesla reasons. Mrs. p vetoed ever giving money to "that man". She has strong opinions.
Also, the interior quality really isn't there, even accounting for the relative less cost compared to the P*2. There are true build quality concerns, even with the TM3 and S which have been around longer. And the sum of that outweighs the range/charging benefit for us. Also Midnight >>> Tesla blue. So even without the Musk negatives I still think it would have been a close call. The model S was a kind of dream car though when it first came out and I couldn't afford it! By the time I could afford it all these other options are here. Really why is Musk on twitter so much...

IPace I think is a yesteryear P*2 with yesteryear tech/performance/range/charging, less towing capacity, higher cost, but does have a somewhat larger trunk and an extra cupholder! Really would only have gone there if P*2 was further delayed and if I could have gotten the $$ down more.

Last is the etron/etron sportback. I almost went with the etron the day before I picked up the P*2 after seeing its lease deal was actually cheaper. As in I had the forms to sign in hand. But the difference was within a few k over 3 years. And the 0% financing deal with Polestar is still cheaper assuming reasonable depreciation rates.
So this came down to preference. And I plain like the P*2 more. It's more fun to drive (no true OPD in e-tron) and handles better. The infotainment/UI is better in the Polestar. It's that much faster. It's much more efficient (e-tron range comes from a larger battery). The e-tron has more cargo capacity and a better charging curve - but the cargo/space for the Polestar is just enough for us and the Polestar charging curve should get better with time and even if it doesn't that's maybe 10 min diff for the occasional road trip. And I think the etron sportback looks like the Polestar 2 put on a lot of pandemic pounds.

If the Polestar was even further delayed, or they didn't have a servicing system that worked for me, or something else, it would have been hard to argue rationally for it given the e-tron lease rate. We've already seen Polestar lose customers due to how they're setting up their leasing and the botched rollout. I really hope they fix that going forward for the sake of the brand in the US.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Am I the only person who drove a Tesla Model 3 and was left cold, no excitement. Very lab like, no enjoyment. Test driving the P2 left me chatting about it doe the two hour drive home from Farnborough (I am sure Mrs S was less than happy with that).

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We've already seen Polestar lose customers due to how they're setting up their leasing and the botched rollout. I really hope they fix that going forward for the sake of the brand in the US.
Another solid post, Polerad. Thank you. 'Couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
19 Posts
near price range will cover:

TM3 LR (Similiar performance, 60miles+ in real-world, better AP, worse quality, no HUD which is my major concern)
XC40 P8 (less range, more consumption, no 360/steering heat/back seat heat/Harman Kardon as standard, more plastic interior, but with heat pump as an option)
I-pace (this one... I did not consider it as an option sorry)

·
Registered
86 Posts
As I stated before the distance from a service center was the deciding factor but my experience with the Audi E-tron sportback prestige has been flawless. The PS2 is a better looking car yet the Audi in person was much nicer than I thought it would be particularly in the white with black optics package. The interior of the M3 is a 3, The PS 2 a 9 The Audi in my opinion is an 11. Audi not as fast but plenty quick and drives more like a touring sedan as opposed to the sport handling of the PS2. The tech in the 2021 Audi is very responsive and intuitive although the PS2 may have the edge in ease of use. The HUD is a bonus. The adjustable upper and lower side bolsters in the Audi gave me a more desirable driving position. The glass roof in the Audi is smaller but does have a moonroof and shade. The Bang and Olufsen sound system in the Audi is the best stock audio system I’ve ever experienced. The Audi app is up and running for scheduled charging and preconditioning and mine has worked flawlessly though some have had problems. Charging curve is excellent in the Audi as on my trip home in 50 degree weather I charged from 50-100% in 25 minutes. The comparison between the PS2 and E-tron is a little apples and oranges but for me was the closest of the EVs available. The $17,000 discount on the Prestige put my lease in line with the PS2 PP I had ordered. I am still a huge fan of the PS2 but I definitely would recommend at least an in person look at the Audi for those that are still on the fence.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Skoda Enyaq? I know there are a lot of people here that are looking to get that one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The only other EVs I considered that were new to the market are the Mustang, Skoda and VW SUVs. Love the looks of the Mustang, but probably as I've just come from an Alfa Stelvio and its very similar.

Over that now...

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maybe I need to see more pictures, but I haven't really liked the Mustang appearance.

Reactions: polerad
1 - 20 of 62 Posts