Polestar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it would be better to buy or lease the Polestar 2 and have it registered in NY vs NC. I live in NC however my daughter lives in NYC. I wonder if it would be beneficial to register car in her name to take advantage of NY state EV incentive of $2,000.

·
Registered
390 Posts
reading this:

It seems as long as you get it from an NY dealer and you’re an NY resident you get the $2k at the point of sale, regardless of financing/lease terms. just maybe need her name on the purchase somehow. Where the car is registered doesn’t seem to matter but might need to check with Polestar

although, notably, Polestar 1 or 2 isn’t on their list. Any idea when that might happen? Seems like it needs an official EPA range— do we know when that’s meant to come?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think that idea won’t work, but you can read the whole thing here. Go to Dealer page and read the terms of the form you (she!) must sign; must be registered for 3 years in NYS after purchase. Polestar 1 or 2 are not yet listed so I hope Polestar has started the process with NYS cause I’d like to get the rebate, as I am a full-time resident. I just realized though that I need to do a 3-yr lease to qualify, not the 2-yr I planned, on the basis of the fast-changing EV environment. Don’t want to be holding a 250-mi car when the 400-milers will be here in 3 years... or the Precept is available...🤩

The annoying thing was that Cuomo had blessed the program the year I bought my Volt, but they dicked around setting the program up for 2 years and never made it retroactive. This time, I want my cut!

·
Registered
54 Posts
How do sales tax and registration fees compare between NYC and NC? I'd expect NC to have lower taxes and registration that would offset some of the NY rebate.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do sales tax and registration fees compare between NYC and NC? I'd expect NC to have lower taxes and registration that would offset some of the NY rebate.
You are right. After posting this I did some research and the NYC tax is 8.5% vs NC 3%.

·
Registered
85 Posts
We ‘enjoy’ the highest car taxes in the country.
NYSDMV site has all the dope on registration fees, as custom plates add more cost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts