Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
Came across this site purely to 'gen' up on my impending P2, due around Mid March. This will be the 1st EV I have ever had, so I am a total newbie in this area. I mean a TOTAL newbie!

Anyway, my lease provider recommended Pod Point as a good home charger. Not too sure because I have no knowledge of who is good or bad. I did however read some reviews that Pod Point were very quick to take the money but then people struggled enormously to get an installation date with no answers from customer services.

Anyway, I have decided to opt for a tethered charger, as I am sure it would really start to annoy me having to keep getting the cables out from the car each time.....just being honest. I do not need anything fancy or expensive (although scheduled charging would be ideal).....trying to keep to around the £500-600 mark after the grant. I know, it is at the cheaper(est) end of the scale but all I want to do is charge something up and that is.

Any recommendations??? Also wondering if I should get a move on in getting this booked in/installed as lead times can vary and are unknown.

I have read quite a few posts on here and I am super impressed by peoples knowledge and just how friendly and informative they are. So I am going to give a big thank you now in advance :)

·
Registered
839 Posts
Welcome, and I'm sure you'll get good feedback from the UK contingent - we colonials wouldn't be able to provide much of value to you, but we'll cheer you on as you join us on this EV adventure. :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
I've got a podpoint, it charges the car, reports back the cost to the app and seems to be well installed and the installer was very pleasant and efficient. I'd recommend them.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I would agree, we have PodPoint installed and the engineer was really very good. Once I got past an Operations manager (who seemed not to respond to emails etc) my install went really speedily and done very neatly. And as @AngloDude said I can see the results and charges of my home charging in my app.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hi,

I have had a tethered Pod Point for nearly 3 years now, it charged my previous VW Golf GTE and my current Polestar with no issues at all so I would recommend.

·
Registered
Void non-PP Tow Bar
257 Posts
I'm another for Pod Point, fairly painless process. Read up on the tail diameter and main fuse size (elsewhere on this wonderful forum). Having a 100A fuse seems to be a good thing.
I don't have the car yet, so can't report back on functionality, I went untethered as I was buying an upgraded 32A cable (as car only comes with 16A) and my thinking was some level of future proofing in case cable and connector standards change at some point.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Me too, Podpoint ordered on a Wednesday, lots of pictures sent of the simple installation site (5m cabling) amazed when they came and installed on that Friday! Tethered, much better than messing with release bonnet, cable unravelling, etc. But! Currently no charge scheduling, though like Polestar it's coming 🤞. So I creep out the front at night to plug in - not a pretty sight in my dressing gown :oops:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Also went Podpoint tethered last October. It's performed without a single problem since, installation was quick and straightforward, a small delay between submitting info and getting an installation slot but nothing bad and probably all down to Covid.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Also PodPoint, also painless, also happy to recommend. I went untethered, because I didn’t want cables hanging around on the wall/ trailing on the ground/ getting in the way. The unit itself, without cables, is unobtrusive.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
871 Posts
PodPoint tethered for me too, simple and just works.

Bear in mind you get no control from the app, it just reports charging sessions in kW and also £ if you put in the tariff details. That works with something simple like Octopus Go which is time of day based, but wouldn't work with something like Agile that is all over the place.

I expect the car to have scheduled charging at some point and I'd rather manage this from the car than the charge point personally, so not an issue for me.

Go get it installed, no need to wait - ordered mine same time as the car, ended up getting the charger in August and car in December :)

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
If Pod-Point has no app for scheduling suggest look elsewhere (though we are all waiting the Polestar app to allow this). You might look at apielectrical.co.uk to get an overview of a wide range of chargers and user reviews. Here’s my Wallbox 8BAF8350-72D8-421F-82A5-72DB4DDCBB5C.jpeg

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Void Charcoal Non PP
169 Posts
Forgive my naivety, but if the pod point app has no capacity to schedule charging, and neither does the P2 in car control currently, how are P2 owners utilising the cheap electricity from Octopus Go’s tariff between 0030 and 0430 daily, unless they go out and plug in between those times ?
Would the Ohme cable, complete with inline control box, be a better option in conjunction with an untethered charge point until the app becomes available ?

·
Registered
871 Posts
I believe it involves late night trips in dressing gowns
I just turn it on and off from the switch in my house, no need to go out in the cold.

Unless it’s connected directly after the meter you’ll end up with an RCBO in your consumer unit, or like in my case due to lack of space in a separate one nearby.

I generally turn it on before I go to bed, but even if I turn it on an hour earlier at 11:30 you’ll just pay about 50p more.

I was thinking of making the PodPoint available as a HomeKit switch. It has two pins for a keylock which when shorted blocks charging. I’m considering using an ESP32 with a relay which will cost about a tenner and with HomeKit automations will be much more flexible than I need.

I’d still prefer to do this via the car though, if they ever get the app out and publish their API I’ll have a go at it!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Forgive my naivety, but if the pod point app has no capacity to schedule charging, and neither does the P2 in car control currently, how are P2 owners utilising the cheap electricity from Octopus Go’s tariff between 0030 and 0430 daily, unless they go out and plug in between those times ?
Would the Ohme cable, complete with inline control box, be a better option in conjunction with an untethered charge point until the app becomes available ?
I could get the Ohme as an Octopus customer for £150, which is practically free as this is roughly how much a cable costs, but had no interest of doing so.

Nice software but it’s of little value to me and the hardware is just generic cheap unit. I saw someone take a similar one apart on YouTube, wasn’t impressed by the quality.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I guess the £449 fitted cost for a Pod Point is after the OLEV? Not clear from what I have seen on the website. I could have one fitted now and charge my Passat GTE while I wait for the P*2.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I guess the £449 fitted cost for a Pod Point is after the OLEV? Not clear from what I have seen on the website. I could have one fitted now and charge my Passat GTE while I wait for the P*2.
If you have an order number you can go ahead with the grant, they'll just ask you to let them know what the VIN or VRN is when you have them, in my case that was about 2 months after it got installed.

Be careful what you order though, I had a look (as I paid more than that!) and the only thing on the Pod-Point site that is currently £449 is the 3.6kW universal (untethered). It'll be fine for the GTE and will charge the Polestar 2 with the bundled cable just fine, but IMHO it's not worth getting a 3.6kW charger, they're far too slow, just go for a 7kW one regardless of which brand you pick.

So if you go for a PodPoint, either £559 after grant for the 7kW tethered (like the one I got), or if you prefer untethered, the cost of a cable (~£100-200) + £529 after grant for the 7kW tethered.

Bear in mind you will need a cable to charge at full speed on any untethered 7kW, so if you're planning of getting one anyway, the difference between tethered/untethered is £30 so down to preference really. I don't plan to use anything other than DC chargers when out and about so have no plans to buy a better cable.

In terms of speed, the 7kW can charge for empty in nearly 10 hours, so it's an overnight job. 3.6kW will need twice as much, and there's also the cost considerations.

If you're using Octopus Go for instance, like many here do, oyu get 4 hours of 5p/kWh per day. Typical consumption reported here is 35-45kWh/100 miles, so with a 7kW charger that means 55-70 miles a day at a cost of £1.25. That's more than sufficient for most people, but if I was using a 3.6kW charger, I'd only get half that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I could get the Ohme as an Octopus

Nice software but it’s of little value to me and the hardware is just generic cheap unit. I saw someone take a similar one apart on YouTube, wasn’t impressed by the quality.
Does anyone have the Ohme unit? That is the one I am about to order. Would be nice to get some real feedback.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts