Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just been reading about the long term reliability of the Polestar 2's
cousin the Volvo XC490 in the latest Which? report. It's not good.
As the Polestar 2 is made in the same factory I am concerned.

Should I be?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just found this online -

Is a used Volvo XC40 estate reliable?
In the most recent What Car? Reliability Survey, the XC40 came an admirable second in the family SUV category, with only 11% of any of them having a fault, and these mostly minor, split between bodywork, fuel system and sat-nav. Half were back on the road on the same day, and no owners were charged for the work.
Meanwhile, Volvo as a manufacturer ranked 11th in the same survey out of 31 brands. That's a much better result than the 20th-place finish in the previous survey.
If you would like to see the full reliability list, head to the What Car? Reliability Survey pages for more information.
Nothing there to cause concern?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If overall reliability is your main concern, I guess you just have to drive a Camry. I'll pass.

And as an EV, the P2 has virtually nothing in common with the XC90 other than the chassis platform.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just found this online -

Nothing there to cause concern?
I attach a screen shot of the consumer magazine Which? report which shows Volvo reliability to be poor. Yes I know Polestar is not Volvo but they are made at the same plant by the same people.
Screenshot_2020-08-19-14-26-25.png

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
OK let's start up with most common faults in modern cars.

The human to machine interface. BMW are considered to be really bad on stats alone.
But 75% of thier faults are from bugs in the software,which in time get patches. The advantage is with the Polestar is that OTA updates means no trip to the dealership.

The Which? Review points out that EV's in general are bad... But with the exception of Tesla, I'd expect most of these to be software based.

Finally apart from door handles and door locks, all the issues were with the ICE system. Even then the 0-3 years experience seemed to be good.

Having had 3 new early adopter cars in my life I've come to expect issues, but generally never get major ones.

Mini Cooper S - only real issue was after 3 years the window motors stick (not fail, just stick), and if you slam the door hard enough the windows work again. However take this to BMW and say windows don't work it will cot £600 per window.

Jaguar F-Pace - if you had read the forums then I'd brought a dead dog. However the reality was mine was perfect and so we're any others. Saying that tough JLR are well known for poor quality and issues, and the F-Pace was a brand new entertainment system, which was 1/2 the issues.

Kia Stinger - been perfect since March 2018

Basically we early adopters.... You knew that on purchase.... There maybe problem but I can't imagine anything major.

·
Registered
'21 P*2, 19", Midnight/leather, +tow
851 Posts
FWIW the XC90 of the article is on the SPA platform and many are made in Sweden. The XC90 and XC60’ are some of Volvo’s best sellers in the US and it seems most of their complaints I find upon looking are related to software and some to the ICE and transmission.

The P*2 is on the CMA platform and is a cousin of the XC40 which is made generally in Belgium and now China.The XC40 as noted by @SA69-ev has generally good reviews on reliability.

either way, as @GDank notes we’re early adopters. There’s definitely a good amount of risk to be assumed here.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Basically we early adopters.... You knew that on purchase.... They maybe problem but I can't imagine anything major.
Exactly! Here are my hopes:
1. Volvo has car-building experience, brought to Polestar, that will help to avoid problems with our cars.
2. The car is built on a platform that has been used enough to shake out related problems.
3. The new area for Polestar here is the EV drive system and the new interface. Software/interface problems should be able to be resolved with OTA updates. I'm guessing that more than half of the EV drive system problems will also be able to be addressed with OTA updates.
4. This is Polestar's first mainstream car. For Polestar to succeed as a company, this car has to be at least good, preferably great... and that goes for customer service, too. These days, you have to take care of your social media reputation. Just from a financial point of view, they have to minimize risk and assure that great reputation, so I expect we'll be in good hands.

So, yes, we're early adopters and there are bound to be problems, but there's a good chance that the problems will be minor and we'll be well taken care of.

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
'21 P*2, 19", Midnight/leather, +tow
851 Posts
I looked up XC40 reliability reviews and found this kbb year long review:

Surprised to see that the real world range of the P*2 isn’t that far off from the ICE XC40!!

but generally the xc40 seems to not have a lot of major concerns from what I can tell.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Many thanks for your replies and to others who have replied.
My first reaction to the Which? report was perhaps overly cautious. As you and others have said early adopters are bound to have some problems, but hopefully not too extreme. Onwards and upwards.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
My last car to have major problems was in the 90's!

Renault 19 16V Chamade (Type 1)

That thing cost me £300 a month to keep going! But man did I get a lot of action from it!

Since then the biggest issue I've had with a car was the Mini Cooper S and those windows after 3 years.

Lexus, both Kia's, Jag, Audi A3, & Nissan all nothing major. A few niggles on some but nothing important.
There are always people who get unlucky and have an issue with something - it's just you're unlucky and hit that 1% failure rate.

If Polestar were like Tesla or any new car company then I would be worried.
But Volvo been making cars for years and that's why Geely brought Volvo, for all that experience and knowledge.

We often link Chinese products to the cheap knockoffs.... But we often forget that they also make almost all the electronics out there, and when they want to they can make things to micro millimetres perfection.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The P2 is not made in the same factory as the XC90 and it's not on the same platform. It's also an EV which is a different animal entirely. They also threw a lot of (Geely) money at this project to get it right. This is not a Tesla-like startup. Is there some risk, sure. Would I be very worried, no.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Only time will tell what the long term reliability of the P2 is. The consistent positive reviews of how well put together the car feels, and the quality of interior finish, and Polestar's approach as a company (in their short time) can only help with the argument that the underlying quality shouldn't be a big worry (hopefully!).

I'm moving from a Landrover Discovery Sport to P2, Land Rover don't figure very well in the reliability figure tables but I've never had a problem in the 5 years of ownership. Also was an early Mazda RX8 adopter and got one of the first batch in the UK when they we're released and never regretted that.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Overall, EVs have something like 10x fewer moving parts than ICEs. That's 10x fewer things that can go wrong. The fact that EVs are so much easier to build is partly why Tesla was able to ramp up from zero so quickly

·
Registered
9 Posts
In that rating chart, the Volvo ratings are no different than Mercedes ratings, so I do not expect surprises. It is always a risk to take on a first generation car. Look at all the teething problems Tesla has had to work out. They have been around 10 years and their latest generation cars, the 3's, have dubious build quality. The EV market is hardly risk-free at this early stage.

·
Registered
121 Posts
In that rating chart, the Volvo ratings are no different than Mercedes ratings, so I do not expect surprises. It is always a risk to take on a first generation car. Look at all the teething problems Tesla has had to work out. They have been around 10 years and their latest generation cars, the 3's, have dubious build quality. The EV market is hardly risk-free at this early stage.
and now it seems Tesla model S and Y have been dropped from being recommended buys due to reliability.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts