Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had my P2 for a few months now and while I like the car overall, the one big complaint I have is road noise. In deciding between a P2 and a Model 3 most review sites said the P2 was a quiet ride compared to the Model 3. Well my nephew bought a Model 3 the same week I got the P2 and I can tell you the 3 is way quieter on the road. There are many roads I drive on in California that the noise gets so loud I open the windows to help diffuse it. Is anyone else having this issue?

· Registered
4,739 Posts
Honestly no. Both my cars are definitely quieter than either the Model 3 or Y I test drove.

What spec do you have? And could there be something off with the tires or windows? Hatch alignment?

· Registered
2022 Polestar 2 Midnight, Pilot, Plus, and Performance
47 Posts
So I have had my P2 for a few months now and while I like the car overall, the one big complaint I have is road noise. In deciding between a P2 and a Model 3 most review sites said the P2 was a quiet ride compared to the Model 3. Well my nephew bought a Model 3 the same week I got the P2 and I can tell you the 3 is way quieter on the road. There are many roads I drive on in California that the noise gets so loud I open the windows to help diffuse it. Is anyone else having this issue?
I have the performance pack on mine and it’s relatively quiet (on smooth roads). But the ride is a bit firm… even with the shocks set to “full comfort” and I’m on winter tires…

· Registered
4,739 Posts
I have the P2 with the Pilot and Plus riding on the 19's which is supposed to be the quieter setup. Michelin tires.
feel like there's so many variables to it so it's hard to tell

I have switched my 19" tires to OEM all seasons (Conti ProContact RX POL) and did find those helped with both noise and ride comfort (in addition to less risk of unintended drifts when we go to Tahoe!). I honestly don't remember how the original tires felt/sounded.
My PP spec car is on the original summers and I still feel that's less noisy than Model 3's I've been in.

🤷‍♂️

· Registered
California
1,949 Posts
There are a number of components to road noise too.

By my recollection, my performance P*2 is quieter than my Model 3 was on smooth roads, but the booming bassy suspension is noisier over rough roads / bumps. I do notice more wind noise in the P*2 at high speeds. But if the highway is smooth the stuff I’d call “road noise” is less on the P*2.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool. But even if the road is smooth out here just depending on the asphalt used makes my car way louder inside. Over the same roads my nephews 3 may pick up a few decibels but I get like 15 or so.

· Registered
10,874 Posts
But if the highway is smooth the stuff I’d call “road noise” is less on the P*2.
Most so called road noise is tire related. On a smooth road (newly paved) it will always be quieter. You can look for tires that are rated for lower noise based on their tread pattern, but you'll likely compromise some other aspect.

· Registered
10,874 Posts
I have Michelin AS 20s and I wouldn't say they are particularly quiet.

And of course all this is relative. For an ICE the tires are a much smaller noise factor overall. Some tire manufacturers are now designing tires specifically for EVs with lower noise profiles because it's a bigger factor.

· Registered
162 Posts
I’m wondering if the angle of the mirror could make a difference. I always wondered that with the frameless mirror if your ideal mirror position is not the ideal wind position it might create more noise for some than others.

Just a thought because I’ve heard people says it’s super quiet and others say there’s a lot of wind noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2022 Polestar 2, Snow, Pilot
485 Posts
Check your PSI when tires are cold, should be 41 front, 42 rear. At pick up, mine was 45 on both fronts, 47 and 46 in the back. Way too high and some of the noise and most of the bumpiness is gone. Told Polestar to make sure the pressures are set correctly, as this was inexecusable and they should be better than that.

· Registered
2,106 Posts
Cool. But even if the road is smooth out here just depending on the asphalt used makes my car way louder inside. Over the same roads my nephews 3 may pick up a few decibels but I get like 15 or so.
That doesn’t make sense at all. A 15 decibel difference is huge. Seriously big difference in noise levels. I think you may have the scale wrong, but if you haven’t then there is something seriously wrong with your car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts