Polestar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Non PP, Midnight, Load Bars
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planned a trip to collect my daughter from University in Huddersfield. A very good run for the car before it gets ripped apart next week for updates and recalls.
Route, Day1, Redhill Surrey to Huddersfield via M25 and M1, Day2, Huddersfield to Worsley (drop off presents - fully socially distanced), then to Banbury via M40 (girls- shopping) and return to Redhill.
All together a tad under 300 miles so it should be easy in the Polestar2.
First problem to report. Car fully charged and showing 270 miles. Setup the Nav. First charge stop is 201 miles however car says NO, you dont have enough range. The nav dropped about 50 miles form the displayed range. This meant a rethink of my first charge stop. I had planned to get to Fox Valley retail Park near Sheffield to use the Instavolt chargers there. Never mind i thought, there are Ecotricity chargers at most motorway services. I forgot that Ecotricity has an issue with CCS charging. Long story short i could not get a charge until the third stop at Tibshelf Services. Couldnt get hold of Ecotricity support on the phone either. Charged the minimum and moved onto Fox Valley. Cn all chargers please be like Instavolt? How simple and fast, a perfect solution to on the go charging. Swipe your card, connect and away it goes much faster than the Ecotricity of the same speed.
Day two was all good. started with a coffee and a top up at another Instavolt charger. Delivered presents and then headed for Banbury. The motoroway was clear, the car was comfortable and handled the full load of three adults and nearly every free space filled with daughters instruments and washing. At Banbury i used the 125kwh Instavolt/Chargepoint units. A very nice location just of the M40 junc11. A drive through Costa for those with a short stop or a large shopping area for those of us with two women in tow. I was designated packhorse for the bags which i did manage to fit into an already packed Polestar2.
The rest of the journey home was clear and uneventful. The nav dropping 50 miles from your range occurred once more on the way home. I will not bother reporting to Polestar as i am pre-update. Also had the small problem of the black box around the Pilot Assist symbol.
Figures for the journey.
280.4 miles
36.7 KWh/100 miles
I will be emailing Ecotricity this morning as it is completely unacceptable for them to have two units out of order in neighbouring services and not answering the phone. It wasted about 45 mins on the way up. Instavolt proved how it can work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Really useful range summary, thanks

Reactions: MarkG47

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,856 Posts
I used Instavolt for the first time this weekend at Astle Retail Park in West Bromwich. 4 chargers, all working, none being used at 1pm Saturday. Very efficient & easy to use.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What exactly do you mean by...

'The nav dropped about 50 miles form the displayed range' ?
Morning, the car had 270 miles of range when i started, when i programmed the first stop that was only 201 miles it advised a charge stop was required and the charge would be zero at the programmed stop. Again during the final run to the Instavolt at Fox Valley it said a charge stop would be required. Both times the nav reduced the cars displayed range by 50 miles (car still showed enough range to target, nav thought we couldn't make it). On the second occasion i ignored it and it corrected itself. Never seen this problem reported before.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,856 Posts
Morning, the car had 270 miles of range when i started, when i programmed the first stop that was only 201 miles it advised a charge stop was required and the charge would be zero at the programmed stop. Again during the final run to the Instavolt at Fox Valley it said a charge stop would be required. Both times the nav reduced the cars displayed range by 50 miles (car still showed enough range to target, nav thought we couldn't make it). On the second occasion i ignored it and it corrected itself. Never seen this problem reported before.
Generally ignore the range shown on the main display. The google navigation is much more accurate. Unfortunately you will likely never have 270 miles of realistic range

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Generally ignore the range shown on the main display. The google navigation is much more accurate. Unfortunately you will likely never have 270 miles of realistic range
Morning dave, i have had it both way with the car being accurate then the nav. I was expecting a reduction due to the cold temperatures and heating, motorway etc. It was the fixed 50 miles off that was the surprise. FYI. I think we could have made it to the 201 mile stop but got distracted with Ecotricity problems.

·
Super Moderator
1,354 Posts
I second ignoring the range on the main display - it's often fantasy. The google provided one on the nav system is about an order of magnitude more accurate. In fact, I'd go as far as saying I trust that completely now.

I'm on 1800 miles and the google arrival estimate has not been incorrect once.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I second ignoring the range on the main display - it's often fantasy. The google provided one on the nav system is about an order of magnitude more accurate. In fact, I'd go as far as saying I trust that completely now.

I'm on 1800 miles and the google arrival estimate has not been incorrect once.
Agree with this. Since the range is so determined by the type of driving you're doing, it's pretty difficult for the car alone to know the range you have left. Google maps on the other hand knows your destination and the types of roads along the journey (and their speed estimates) so it can do a pretty good job of estimating.

I think they definitely have improvements to make (I think it's currently a very basic linear 90%=250mi etc.).

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Yeah the main display seems to be just Battery % divided by X, and X is not based on any real conditions or this planet.

Google Maps has always been within 1-2% before a trip, but once into the trip it re-adjusts and gets it almost perfect every time.

Considering Redhill to Fox Valley is 215 miles I'm impressed you made it with no charging in-between in this weather. Although you did say you used the M1 and the average speed there is 20mph so it's probably doable! :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah the main display seems to be just Battery % divided by X, and X is not based on any real conditions or this planet.

Google Maps has always been within 1-2% before a trip, but once into that it readjusts and gets it almost perfect every time.

Considering Redhill to Fox Valley is 215 miles I'm impressed you made it with no charging in-between in this weather. Although you did say you used the M1 and the average speed there is 20mph so it's probably doable! :D
It was cold and wet with a average of around 55 to 60. got a top off charge at Tibshelf Services (3rd Ecotricity charger tried) however i think i could have made it all the way to Fox Valley.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
For the battery's sake, best not to run it all the way down anyway.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Thanks for sharing @MarkG47 . I haven't used Ecotricity or Instavolt yet but your experience seems to align with what many other people have said i.e Instavolt it at the top of the list and Ecotricity is at the very very bottom of the list with all the other providers nestled in between.

I echo what everyone else says about the range estimate read out , I don't even look at it, it's very crude, and mostly wrong. Battery percentage and google maps is your friend there.

Good effort for planning to go 201 miles, without a charge, in winter, in a P2, clearly you don't have range anxiety, so title thread checks out :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I planned a trip to collect my daughter from University in Huddersfield. A very good run for the car before it gets ripped apart next week for updates and recalls.
Route, Day1, Redhill Surrey to Huddersfield via M25 and M1, Day2, Huddersfield to Worsley (drop off presents - fully socially distanced), then to Banbury via M40 (girls- shopping) and return to Redhill.
All together a tad under 300 miles so it should be easy in the Polestar2.
First problem to report. Car fully charged and showing 270 miles. Setup the Nav. First charge stop is 201 miles however car says NO, you dont have enough range. The nav dropped about 50 miles form the displayed range. This meant a rethink of my first charge stop. I had planned to get to Fox Valley retail Park near Sheffield to use the Instavolt chargers there. Never mind i thought, there are Ecotricity chargers at most motorway services. I forgot that Ecotricity has an issue with CCS charging. Long story short i could not get a charge until the third stop at Tibshelf Services. Couldnt get hold of Ecotricity support on the phone either. Charged the minimum and moved onto Fox Valley. Cn all chargers please be like Instavolt? How simple and fast, a perfect solution to on the go charging. Swipe your card, connect and away it goes much faster than the Ecotricity of the same speed.
Day two was all good. started with a coffee and a top up at another Instavolt charger. Delivered presents and then headed for Banbury. The motoroway was clear, the car was comfortable and handled the full load of three adults and nearly every free space filled with daughters instruments and washing. At Banbury i used the 125kwh Instavolt/Chargepoint units. A very nice location just of the M40 junc11. A drive through Costa for those with a short stop or a large shopping area for those of us with two women in tow. I was designated packhorse for the bags which i did manage to fit into an already packed Polestar2.
The rest of the journey home was clear and uneventful. The nav dropping 50 miles from your range occurred once more on the way home. I will not bother reporting to Polestar as i am pre-update. Also had the small problem of the black box around the Pilot Assist symbol.
Figures for the journey.
280.4 miles
36.7 KWh/100 miles
I will be emailing Ecotricity this morning as it is completely unacceptable for them to have two units out of order in neighbouring services and not answering the phone. It wasted about 45 mins on the way up. Instavolt proved how it can work.
Thanks for sharing, about to go on my first longer journey on Sat, with family :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts