Polestar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Non PP, Midnight, Load Bars
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon All
I thought i would give you a brief Road Trip report.
Trip - Surrey to Huddersfield, help daughter move house, return to Surrey for a few days then repeat but all in one day.

Trip data first run.
474.9 miles
32.9 kWH/100 miles
9.26 hours
52 mph average
Roof bars and box fitted for the first up and back journey. The roof box didn't appear to make much difference to the energy consumption. Impressive range and a great drive both ways.

Left Surrey early with 100% and headed to the Instavolt station at Banbury. Topped off over coffee and a danish. Did the rest of the way on the remaining charge and all of the days running around. Next day carried on moving my daughter then headed to Fox Valley shopping for the Instavolt units there. Again, topped off over coffee and a danish then headed home. Got home with 6% left in the battery in spite of Google Maps telling me i didn't have enough juice. Over the return down the M1 the % at arrival slowly picked up.
Repeated the up side of the journey on Thursday and like a fool decided to pick up a charge on the M1 southbound on the way back. Two of the old Ecotricity sites didn't work so i headed for the M6 hub setup by Gridserve under the Electric Highway banner. There was a minor stop for my daughter to do some shopping and a quick interim charge again from an Instavolt unit. We got to the M6 hub with 30 miles range remaining. It is impressive. A vast new Services with many charge pumps however.... my car wouldn't charge. Connected, paid, the pump sat at Initialising. Another user came over and told me this was common here, try another pump he said. I did, it still didn't work. Another user told me the same thing about pump switching so I tried one that the Kia had just vacated. Still no joy. I called customer service who couldn't help as it would have meant rebooting the entire hub which they wouldn't do as others were charging. Long story short i found a BPPulse 50kw unit a few miles down the road and it worked perfect. Gridserve customer service told me they would keep me informed about the problem but come Sunday no updates. I then resorted to my favourite way of getting a response, Twitter. Needless to say i got an update email on Sunday and a further request for information this morning. In defence of Gridserve, the customer service was good if not effective, I have used their new pumps at Cobham and been to their Electric Forecourt in Braintree. No issues with charging. I think is why i was so disappointed by this experience at the M6 hub.

FYI, did the software update on Sunday morning. No issues at all. All working well.

roof box.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've charged there ok so it's intermittent but what worries me, from your comment, is the fact they've set it up to need the entire bank to be reset to fix a problem on a single node?

What the absolute f*** is that about!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Is this the new Rugby services?

I used both the old Ecotricity and new Gridserve replacement on the M2 (Medway Services East/West) and both worked fine. The GS being free!

They have said there is some back end bugs they are sorting out ... something they want to do before releasing the App that will allow AutoCharge ... so maybe it's that. I agree it's dumb to have to reset everything ... doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I was there yesterday and there were 8 or 9 cars using the chargers (but only 1 Tesla charging!). The first one I used, just switched itself off and told me to return the plug.

Moved to a different charger and that worked perfectly.

I would agree that a lot of people head here precisely because there are 12 chargers and so they need to be reliable and be able to charge 12 cars at a time. Lets face it, most cars can only charge at up to 150KW so having the capacity for 12x350KW chargers means that no charger should fail...

Unless they've done the usual trick of underspeccing the power supply, so that they can only supply 1,200KW (or whatever arbitrary number they've decided is their maximum supply) at any one time across the 12...

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,856 Posts
They aren’t lying. I had to switch pumps too.

Yes, pumps.

·
Registered
Oct '20 / VIN47xx. Void, Slate, 20"
554 Posts
Interesting - I've used the M6 Rugby Gridserve twice and it worked faultlessly both times. Must have just been lucky!

·
Registered
Midnight 20” Charcoal July 21 vin 26xxx
487 Posts
They aren’t lying. I had to switch pumps too.

Yes, pumps.
so Ill bite... @dave did the latest update change you country to US? or have you broken quarantine and headed to the states for some pumpkin pie? or are you just in denial about how the penalties went last night? (waits for inevitable jokes about being in Egypt)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can’t comment about M6 but always use Instavolt, always good, reliable and quick!
Recently did round trip to Devon from Sussex. 200 miles each way. Started at 100% and had 16% at end. Range approx 250 at ~30/100. All good

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Can’t comment about M6 but always use Instavolt, always good, reliable and quick!
Recently did round trip to Devon from Sussex. 200 miles each way. Started at 100% and had 16% at end. Range approx 250 at ~30/100. All good
Instantvolt near 40p now where Gridserve is 24p ... makes a difference if you are doing it a lot. Personally I just charge where I can when I need to stop for a pee.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Instantvolt near 40p now where Gridserve is 24p ... makes a difference if you are doing it a lot. Personally I just charge where I can when I need to stop for a pee.
The old Ecotricity (now gridserve) sites are still 30p. I think its only the Gridserve hubs that are 24p. Still a 25% markup for instavolt and the new chargers are as reliable as instavolt in my experience.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I recently charged at Ionity. A MB driver told me the point I parked at had just been tried by two other MB drivers with no luck.
My car connected right away and charged without issues.
My car now runs long trips between 18 and 19 kWh, 4 people in the car with luggage. This is with no thinking of economical driving. A lot of passing, and 120-130 Kph on highways.
I’m happy. No real issues.
Difficult to explain why some chargers work and others not.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Our cars must be different. I can't get below 21 kWh/100 km after two hours going at a constant 100 km/h speed limit. Alone, no luggage.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Our cars must be different. I can't get below 21 kWh/100 km after two hours going at a constant 100 km/h speed limit. Alone, no luggage.
Performance Pack?

Have you checked your Tyre Pressure?

120km/h on the motorway or 140/160 ?

There are lots of reasons that it could be.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mine is a regular PS, no PP. Tyre pressure at the high setting. The 4 long drives I have done was around 460 km. With my driving style, it’s hard to get below 20, but it happens near the end of the trip.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Mine is a regular PS, no PP. Tyre pressure at the high setting. The 4 long drives I have done was around 460 km. With my driving style, it’s hard to get below 20, but it happens near the end of the trip.
Motorway in the Summer I don't get much below 32kwh/100mi (20kwh/100km), however if I'm driving on a mix of roads I can easily get sub 30 (19kwh/100km). I've only seen less than 30 if I'm going downhill over a drive, normally by the time I do a A-B-A return trip its back to 30-32.

Last weekend I went to Goodwood, while no step downhill sections the trip overall was defiantly down lower in elevation and a mix of roads, so got around 29 ... but by the time I'd returned and then driven more motorway I got 32kwh/100mi again.

Reactions: Omaniac

·
Registered
148 Posts
Plan your route in Google maps, and it will tell you how much juice you will have when you arrive. If you need to charge to get there, it will ask if you want to insert a charging point.
You can also download ABRP in the car and use it.
The car itself will give you an estimated range with you current battery charge. Not sure how accurate it is, I just use Google maps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts