Polestar Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Is there not any sort of emissions testing at the U.S. equivalent of an MOT? It is their fuel they are wasting due to over-fuelling. Oh wait... 'Murica... As an aside I think this video should have been accompanied by "Duelling Banjos" music ;)
I may be wrong, but I think there are some states that do not have any form of annual safety and emissions testing for vehicles on the road (what in the UK is the MOT). Perhaps one of our American friends can clarify?

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Every state has different regulations regarding car inspections. I think, but don't know, that all states test emissions. The rolling coal capability is a feature owners add that they can implement by flipping a switch in the vehicle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I may be wrong, but I think there are some states that do not have any form of annual safety and emissions testing for vehicles on the road (what in the UK is the MOT). Perhaps one of our American friends can clarify?
Here in Ohio, they did away with any type of annual vehicle testing of any kind back in the late 70's maybe...? I started driving in the early 80's and have never had any inspections so I think my guesstimation is pretty close.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
States where Polestar is likely to open Spaces probably have some form of periodic inspection. But like the professor said, it's activated via a switch.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
We have a required emissions test called a smog test in California every 2 years, I wonder how that will be treated with this car? I would assume we are exempt. I don't think the smog test includes any other safety like tires or brake inspections.

Conversely, when I lived in Virginia, we had a safety inspection every year or so, but I don't recall any emissions test there (was a long time ago though).

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
MD also has a smog test every 2 years. A safety inspection only occurs when a title is transferred.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here in Tennessee each city and county can have their own emissions testing protocol. Many counties did not have an inspection with emissions testing, and the most populated: Shelby County where Memphis is had a system where vehicles in the city had to go through (and pay for) an inspection annually that included an emissions test, but the county didn't. In 2013 as part of a cost argument, Memphis exempted all residents from inspections and closed all the inspection stations. So now any old jalopy that has proper lighting and a current license plate can operate on the public roads. And there are some smoking piles of junk out there. I expect until something is done at the national level, Tennessee will still be generating plenty of emissions.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Here in Tennessee each city and county can have their own emissions testing protocol. Many counties did not have an inspection with emissions testing, and the most populated: Shelby County where Memphis is had a system where vehicles in the city had to go through (and pay for) an inspection annually that included an emissions test, but the county didn't. In 2013 as part of a cost argument, Memphis exempted all residents from inspections and closed all the inspection stations. So now any old jalopy that has proper lighting and a current license plate can operate on the public roads. And there are some smoking piles of junk out there. I expect until something is done at the national level, Tennessee will still be generating plenty of emissions.
That's really shameful.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Overall, though, we've been pretty good at keeping political snarkiness to a minimum despite soooooo... many opportunities in both hemispheres. Which, I think, is a good thing.

I vote to keep it up. I've got other outlets for my strong political opinions. (Although I suspect that we're a self-selected group... If we feel strongly enough to invest in a BEV, we're probably, in large part, of a certain political persuasion.)

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
653 Posts
Overall, though, we've been pretty good at keeping political snarkiness to a minimum despite soooooo... many opportunities in both hemispheres. Which, I think, is a good thing.

I vote to keep it up. I've got other outlets for my strong political opinions. (Although I suspect that we're a self-selected group... If we feel strongly enough to invest in a BEV, we're probably, in large part, of a certain political persuasion.)
I think I know what you’re getting at.
Pastafarianism right?

·
Registered
94 Posts

Not really political although It could be viewed as such, I believed in the benefits of diesel regarding emissions etc for many years and bought diesel cars as a result. Now the benefits are not as clear I'm a BEV convert and will sell my diesel Mazda CX-5 and go BEV when I can financially. It's a pity Mazda don't do an electric version of the CX-5. The MX-30 is too small with a woeful range.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts