Polestar Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
To broaden the discussion a bit (beyond the “coal roller” crowd)….I would say that the majority of vehicles that I encounter, that like to speed, or quickly accelerate from stop light to stop light…are either the big gas-guzzling trucks, or the ginormous luxury SUVs.

I find that rather ironic, as they are also the same group (at least in my neighborhood) that whine the most about the high price of gas...and as soon as they do, I say, get an EV, followed by a big smile. 😁
My neighborhood also. I live across the street from a school softball field and there are usually several SUVs and cars idling with the A/C on so mom doesn't get sweaty during practice. Clearly gas prices in the USA aren't high enough if this is still ok.

·
Registered
582 Posts
My neighborhood also. I live across the street from a school softball field and there are usually several SUVs and cars idling with the A/C on so mom doesn't get sweaty during practice. Clearly gas prices in the USA aren't high enough if this is still ok.

yep, I’ve seen that happen even when the temps were in the 70’s…women in their big SUV idling their car in the shopping lot, with the AC on, and temps in the 70’s. Geez, just roll your f*cking windows down, why don’t ya. When I see sights like that, it makes me less than optimistic that humans will ever change their ways, and extreme global warming is inevitable. Sad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Teslas are known to have to deal with this problem where some a--hole in a large pickup truck burns some oil to put them in a cloud. But so far the P2 has been flying under the radar as an EV. The other day though, I was traveling in the middle of 3 lanes behind another car and a jacked up pickup came up in the left lane and "rolled coal" sufficiently that I had the experience. He also took off like the dickens. I don't know if he did it because he knows what a P2 is, or if he was just in an awful hurry. So has anyone else been coal rolled in their P2?
I wanna coal roll ya just for reading this 🤣

·
Registered
10,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
yep, I’ve seen that happen even when the temps were in the 70’s…women in their big SUV idling their car in the shopping lot, with the AC on, and temps in the 70’s. Geez, just roll your f*cking windows down, why don’t ya. When I see sights like that, it makes me less than optimistic that humans will ever change their ways, and extreme global warming is inevitable. Sad.
Long before there were EVs at this scale, when I lived in Houston I would see people keep their car locked and the AC running while they went shopping :rolleyes:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Down here in South Florida you see tons of brodozers but I've never seen anyone coal-rolled and it hasn't happened to me. Everyone keeps to themselves. Any kind of affront is liable to get someone shot.
Yeah, always figured that's why road rage is much more common in Australia than in the US.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
How often are you hitting 128 mph? I've never driven my P2 that fast. That doesn't make it slow before there. My 1.4L Cruze Eco can hit 130 mph, but it takes a mile or more to get going that fast.
Never managed to hit 89mph something strange happens at 88mph where I end up back where I started so I just stick to the speed limit.

·
Registered
2022 LR Midnight, Pilot+Plus+tow 19"+Nappa no-pp
148 Posts
I just got back from Florida. I was amazed not a single nod to climate change or the environment, usual number of gas guzzlers and idling with windows up etc. We thought we'd borrowed Marties car. Yet probably one of the places which will loose more land mass and life as seas rise and more freek weather events occur.
Very few EV's and my only Polestar 2 sighting was on Marco Island the whole trip (3 wks) a snow at a distance otherwise I would have given them a wave.
Ended up in something from Hertz that frankly couldn't blow the skin off a rice pud, no turning circle, well nothing good really two cars rented, reinforced my view Americans are brilliant at marketing, one car was called a Nissan Rogue the other a Chevy Blazer.. Here we have the sale of goods act to prevent advertisers misrepresenting their goods.. :)
Sat there thinking why would anyone actually buy this dated technology anymore?
Hertz wouldn't rent an EV on a one-way.. Wasn't until I got to NC that I actually saw some solar panels in a field.
Otherwise just met folks obsessing about the price of gas, which I can tell you is still laughably priced compared to the UK. Or the other top bitch was the economy, yeah your government didn't crash your economy take it as a good lesson in the stupidity of trickle down economics! 65bn burnt in a few days. My response was you should feel lucky you don't have 11% inflation or aren't Dutch with 14%.. It's a world issue not just local US issue. Curiously it wasn't until I got close to DC that the number of EV's started to increase.
So happy to be back in the P*2 .. Which I left at 77% charge and got home and after 3 weeks was still at 77% charge how nice was that.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
627 Posts
I just got back from Florida. I was amazed not a single nod to climate change or the environment, usual number of gas guzzlers and idling with windows up etc. We thought we'd borrowed Marties car. Yet probably one of the places which will loose more land mass and life as seas rise and more freek weather events occur.
Very few EV's and my only Polestar 2 sighting was on Marco Island the whole trip (3 wks) a snow at a distance otherwise I would have given them a wave.
Ended up in something from Hertz that frankly couldn't blow the skin off a rice pud, no turning circle, well nothing good really two cars rented, reinforced my view Americans are brilliant at marketing, one car was called a Nissan Rogue the other a Chevy Blazer.. Here we have the sale of goods act to prevent advertisers misrepresenting their goods.. :)
Sat there thinking why would anyone actually buy this dated technology anymore?
Hertz wouldn't rent an EV on a one-way.. Wasn't until I got to NC that I actually saw some solar panels in a field.
Otherwise just met folks obsessing about the price of gas, which I can tell you is still laughably priced compared to the UK. Or the other top bitch was the economy, yeah your government didn't crash your economy take it as a good lesson in the stupidity of trickle down economics! 65bn burnt in a few days. My response was you should feel lucky you don't have 11% inflation or aren't Dutch with 14%.. It's a world issue not just local US issue. Curiously it wasn't until I got close to DC that the number of EV's started to increase.
So happy to be back in the P*2 .. Which I left at 77% charge and got home and after 3 weeks was still at 77% charge how nice was that.
We drove the Hummer down to Florida from Michigan back in March. I found the one hill and drove over it.

Tire Cloud Plant Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Funny thing re. the speed question is that the P2 is actually quite slow above 60mph or so. Hell, the SM variants top out at 100mph and even the DM tops out at 127mph. All the punch is down low where the torque is.
I know nothing, I'm from Europe and have a power upgrade 😇 :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though I'm surprised about this 'burning coal' thing, do those ICE 'petrol heads' drive diesel pickup trucks? :rolleyes:🤷‍♂️ And clearly don't know how to tune them as it's not necessary to do that, they'd go faster if they didn't overfuel/overpressurerize. I see it all the time in the UK, buy a low end diesel car, buy a cheap Ebay tuning box, plug it in and wack the potentio meter to the max...Then set off with a black cloud behind them:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I admit my impressions are early days and based solely on comparisons with my other car, a 2020 911S. That car has a little more power than the P2, weighs a lot less, and has a 0-60 time only a few 10ths faster. But above 60-70mph it’s noticeably faster, data I’ve looked up suggests it takes 1/2 the time to get from 60-120mph for example. That feels about right.
That is my experience with my wife's previous car as well. The BMW M2C was cheaper, had less power, slightly faster in official acceleration times, but when you drove it hard it just blows the P2 away; especially so at higher speeds. The way it found power after each gear change and bang with even more determination it spurted faster and further. And even my supercharged Range Rover very similar experience and build like a brick, but just keeps going and pulling. The P2 just doesn't do that, not even with the power upgrade and I tried a lot on the German autobahns...

But don't get me wrong, I like the P2 a lot but it is so easily outrun by many normal cars on the road. Especially so in the top end...

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
The UK equivalent is a purple-helmet driving an overmapped VAG TDi (slammed, aftermarket Bentley wheels, sticker-bombed, dump valve), usually dragging their knuckles and breathing through their mouths.
Don't forget the top off part at the first sight of the sun shining and a copy of the sun newspaper on the dashboard with big vape clouds coming out of the vehicle :ROFLMAO:

41 - 60 of 69 Posts