Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share (rant about) a disappointing service experience with my Polestar in Colorado. I've had my car for over a year, and it had to go back to California once before there were service options in Colorado, but otherwise my car has never been in for service. However, my TCAM has been out for a few weeks, and I've been unable to do the reset since v1.8 was installed OTA. Also, the yellow "Passenger Airbag is Off" light in the ceiling has been illuminated even when I have a passenger in the seat, so I figured the perhaps the weight sensor switch in the seat was bad.

My local service point is McDonald Volvo in Denver. I called them last Wednesday (9 days ago) and made an appointment for my car to be picked up on Monday of this week at 10:30am. I told them about the TCAM and the Airbag light, and told them that based on my testing is seems likely to be the weight switch. Also, they assured me that my loaner would be a Polestar. On Monday at 11:00am, nobody had arrived or called, so I called McDonald Volvo, and they told me that the driver was "leaving right now." Note that McDonald Denver is 60 minutes from my house. So pretty poor communication there. When the driver arrived at noon, he gave me a Volvo XC90, not a Polestar. Not a big deal, but frustrating.

It is now Friday, and they still have my car. I have received a few 2-sentence texts from McDonald, but I have never had a phone call to explain what they are doing. I know they replaced my 12V batter a few days ago, and have been apparently chasing down other faults. Yesterday (Thursday) I got this text:

"We are waiting on a response from Polestar. They want us to replace the Occupant Weight Sensor and we are trying to get an ETA on the part."

Today (Friday) I called and spoke with someone on the phone. After some digging around, the service writer told me that the weight switch was back-ordered and wouldn't be shipped until well until next week at the earliest. This, of course, is Polestar's issue, not McDonald's. But again, the communication has been just terrible. And it looks like I will be without my car for perhaps 2 weeks for a relatively minor problem.

Mostly, I was just hoping for a better customer experience. So much of the annoyance could have been mitigated with good communication. And I would have been far less annoyed if I had been driving a Polestar loaner rather than an ICE SUC. And, I miss my snow tires.

OK, end rant.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Thought I would share (rant about) a disappointing service experience with my Polestar in Colorado. I've had my car for over a year, and it had to go back to California once before there were service options in Colorado, but otherwise my car has never been in for service. However, my TCAM has been out for a few weeks, and I've been unable to do the reset since v1.8 was installed OTA. Also, the yellow "Passenger Airbag is Off" light in the ceiling has been illuminated even when I have a passenger in the seat, so I figured the perhaps the weight sensor switch in the seat was bad.

My local service point is McDonald Volvo in Denver. I called them last Wednesday (9 days ago) and made an appointment for my car to be picked up on Monday of this week at 10:30am. I told them about the TCAM and the Airbag light, and told them that based on my testing is seems likely to be the weight switch. Also, they assured me that my loaner would be a Polestar. On Monday at 11:00am, nobody had arrived or called, so I called McDonald Volvo, and they told me that the driver was "leaving right now." Note that McDonald Denver is 60 minutes from my house. So pretty poor communication there. When the driver arrived at noon, he gave me a Volvo XC90, not a Polestar. Not a big deal, but frustrating.

It is now Friday, and they still have my car. I have received a few 2-sentence texts from McDonald, but I have never had a phone call to explain what they are doing. I know they replaced my 12V batter a few days ago, and have been apparently chasing down other faults. Yesterday (Thursday) I got this text:

"We are waiting on a response from Polestar. They want us to replace the Occupant Weight Sensor and we are trying to get an ETA on the part."

Today (Friday) I called and spoke with someone on the phone. After some digging around, the service writer told me that the weight switch was back-ordered and wouldn't be shipped until well until next week at the earliest. This, of course, is Polestar's issue, not McDonald's. But again, the communication has been just terrible. And it looks like I will be without my car for perhaps 2 weeks for a relatively minor problem.

Mostly, I was just hoping for a better customer experience. So much of the annoyance could have been mitigated with good communication. And I would have been far less annoyed if I had been driving a Polestar loaner rather than an ICE SUC. And, I miss my snow tires.

OK, end rant.
Ugh.

After my last service experience they sent a survey asking about it. The main feedback I gave is they need better communication internally in order to head things off so the customer isn't left in the situation you, and a bunch of others in the US and other countries it seems, are experiencing. Supply chains are what they are. No excuse for the poor communication both with the customer and internally there. If they want to go after Porsche, they'll need to up their game here.

All that said, I think >90% of this is because you just really like and want your car back :]

Reactions: Mick and JPC

·
Registered
California
1,076 Posts
When the driver arrived at noon, he gave me a Volvo XC90, not a Polestar.
Volvo Marin has started pulling this on me too. First tire-install visit I agreed to get the work done sooner and not have a loaner at all because they were out. Second tire-install visit (to install the other two tires they forgot) they surprise-loaned me a two-generation-old S60. This third tire-install visit (to fix tire orientation they got wrong) they surprise-loaned me a very-new XC60.

I think the volume of service Volvo Marin is performing is completely out-of-bounds from what they can handle and still deliver the customer service Polestar promises. I counted 6 Polestar 2s in line for service with mine. Just, what was outside and visible to me. Plus more than twice that number of vehicles in regular Volvo service.

So much of the annoyance could have been mitigated with good communication.
This has been my complaint with both of my service center options from the beginning. I’d give all these other errors much more of a pass if I could communicate with them consistently.

Please send this to Polestar CS. They seem to have all-new people now, and they told me they’re interested in hearing about service center issues. I’m writing a novel. Sent them chapter 1.

·
Registered
California
1,076 Posts
Please send this to Polestar CS. They seem to have all-new people now, and they told me they’re interested in hearing about service center issues. I’m writing a novel. Sent them chapter 1.
Chapter 1 was specifically about how bad service center communication is. If I do phone calls, I end up playing phone tag repeatedly. If I do emails, I sometimes get completely ghosted. If I reply to their automated text message systems, I never received a reply over text.

Chapter 2 is going to be about difference between how Polestar thinks service happens and what really happens. Eg Volvo Palo Alto and valet service, but also all these issues with loaner vehicles. Every Polestar owner I’ve spoken to was initially confused about who to contact for service issues. And then learns there’s no point in contacting Polestar CS first — just talk to your Polestar-certified Volvo service center directly to cut out one of several links in communication. Either way, I end up having to repeat my issues to a minimum of 3 people every time I want something done.

Chapter 3 might be about the ridiculous claims concerning remote diagnostics, and how if Polestar CS is supposed to be involved in service, a number of my issues could’ve been handled that way, or at least by sending me the questionnaire directly before service, instead of taking my car and then learning information that keeps it for weeks.

Or Chapter 3 might be about how much marketing overpromised in general. Remote diagnostics but also phone-as-key (the cars lights up as you approach!), CarPlay (when sold, I was told it’d be enabled before delivery, then within a month of delivery!), etc.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chapter 1 was specifically about how bad service center communication is. If I do phone calls, I end up playing phone tag repeatedly. If I do emails, I sometimes get completely ghosted. If I reply to their automated text message systems, I never received a reply over text.

Chapter 2 is going to be about difference between how Polestar thinks service happens and what really happens. Eg Volvo Palo Alto and valet service, but also all these issues with loaner vehicles. Every Polestar owner I’ve spoken to was initially confused about who to contact for service issues. And then learns there’s no point in contacting Polestar CS first — just talk to your Polestar-certified Volvo service center directly to cut out one of several links in communication. Either way, I end up having to repeat my issues to a minimum of 3 people every time I want something done.

Chapter 3 might be about the ridiculous claims concerning remote diagnostics, and how if Polestar CS is supposed to be involved in service, a number of my issues could’ve been handled that way, or at least by sending me the questionnaire directly before service, instead of taking my car and then learning information that keeps it for weeks.

Or Chapter 3 might be about how much marketing overpromised in general. Remote diagnostics but also phone-as-key (the cars lights up as you approach!), CarPlay (when sold, I was told it’d be enabled before delivery, then within a month of delivery!), etc.
Amen brother. I'm still totally happy about the car, and don't regret anything. But @julianm you are so right - there are so many things that they could do better. Your novel sounds like it is right on the mark. Happy to edit it for you when it's done. :cool:

·
Registered
2021 Snow PP, Barley Leather Int., Tow Package
150 Posts

The Marin Volvo experience sucks a big one! I had my car in for three weeks for the rattling seatbelt and the communication started with texts and was good for two days then got ghosted. It took days of calling to get return calls. The replaced a damper and had to order the seat belt and told me it may arrive damaged as it had been happening a lot. I already knew this because of this forum and had expected it. I had asked them to place two orders but not at once so the part would arrive in two different packages one or two days apart and they told me no. The part was backordered and I took my car after almost wo weeks. I had called twice inquiring about it only to be told both times there was ne eta and they would call me when it got here but don't hold my breath because they arrive damaged. Yesterday I called (after three months waiting) and had to talk to the parts guy because service would not ever answer, only to be told it got here but was screed up and nobody ever ordered a replacement. He placed a second order and again refused to order more than one. It is backordered and I have now been driving with a rattle in my car since October. They just don't care.

·
Registered
California
1,076 Posts
It shouldn’t need repeating, since we’re all here on this forum, but I do enjoy my car very much. I just want to be able to order Polestar-spec tires and have them be installed correctly. Or I want to be able to address a rattle.

Polestar’s set up a system in the US in which no one seems to be accountable for deviations from this
Rectangle Jaw Font Gesture Eyelash

But also nothing in the above describes where and when the actual issues are communicated — how’s the above even supposed to work with a rattle when service centers insist on ride-alongs for rattles anyway? And how come I have to actually talk to 3+ people for steps 1+2?

I’d like to be a Polestar shareholder once the SPAC goes through. But first I kinda want to see if they’re able to make any progress at all on system improvements in the US. They definitely compromised a lot from the initial “subscription only! never leave your home/work and have vehicle serviced!” model they announced in 2017.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Marin Volvo experience sucks a big one! I had my car in for three weeks for the rattling seatbelt and the communication started with texts and was good for two days then got ghosted. It took days of calling to get return calls. The replaced a damper and had to order the seat belt and told me it may arrive damaged as it had been happening a lot. I already knew this because of this forum and had expected it. I had asked them to place two orders but not at once so the part would arrive in two different packages one or two days apart and they told me no. The part was backordered and I took my car after almost wo weeks. I had called twice inquiring about it only to be told both times there was ne eta and they would call me when it got here but don't hold my breath because they arrive damaged. Yesterday I called (after three months waiting) and had to talk to the parts guy because service would not ever answer, only to be told it got here but was screed up and nobody ever ordered a replacement. He placed a second order and again refused to order more than one. It is backordered and I have now been driving with a rattle in my car since October. They just don't care.
Jeepers I'm really bummed to hear the Marin Volvo experience is sub par. We are supposed to pick up our new P*2 on Sunday and in the sales process they (no surprise) made it sound like the service experience will be phenomenal. Given your service experience(s), if you had it to do over again, would you still have purchased the car? TIA.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Jeepers I'm really bummed to hear the Marin Volvo experience is sub par. We are supposed to pick up our new P*2 on Sunday and in the sales process they (no surprise) made it sound like the service experience will be phenomenal. Given your service experience(s), if you had it to do over again, would you still have purchased the car? TIA.
Don't let my negative moment here make you worried, if I had to buy another EV right now it would be my performance pack P2 (unless I won a small lottery I would buy the soon to come Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo GTS). My buying experience from the Space in Corte Madera was great, Michael the sales person who helped me is amazing and still continues to support me every time I text him should I have questions or need help. My stance has always been that I purchased from them and that is who I should go to for help unless its related to physically having to wrench on the car. When I dad my car at Volvo it wasn't a horrible experience outside of their text messaging system being "down" shortly after I dropped my car off. My frustration stems from their policy on ordering parts and I am biased because I manage a maintenance shop for a living (SF BART) and know how easy it can be to just make things right when it comes to warranty. If you know something your ordering is likely going to arrive in less than ideal condition to put into customers car and it is backordered you should be willing to go above and beyond.

A simple solution would be place two or three separate orders spaced far enough apart that they not ship in the same box even if that means being a week or two apart. Never mind the "core" exchange because if three arrive two are damaged and one is serviceable and gets used the bad part from the customers car still goes back for repair and the even trade is made part for part while the two damaged items are returned in that condition. Once the work order is closed out the warranty claim is over and the parts show as received and issued against the work order for billing purposes that they can then use for repayment from their vendor. When I talked to the parts guy over the phone the other day he explained to me that the service portion of the dealership has just undergone a big transition of employees and some sort of turnover and that is why the ball got dropped ultimately leading to why I never got called about the parts problem.

I don't know how tru this is and kind of call BS. Outside of the poor communication and the attitude of the person In asked and explained how to order my parts thinking I was telling him how to do his job rather offering a possible solution the other stuff wasn't bad. They took care of my software update, replaced my damper and even changed all the damper settings for me. I requested that the service manager take a ride with me so we can identify the rattling together and be on the same page about the troubleshooting and repair and they obliged with out issue. If there's one thing I can't stand its rattles and squeaks in my car I have to drive so I'm prolly more upset than may be merited.

To bring it all back to where this rant first started I still love my car and look forward the soon to come power upgrade and know I will love it even more! In three years when I'm done with it I will be checking out the Precept if it's in production and still strongly consider going with Polestar next to the Porsche. I do track my cars and l love how the P2 handles, drives, looks and it hasn't let me down. I could always take it to another Volvo service center too.

·
Registered
150 Posts
@JPC I fully echo your experiences with McDonald Volvo. Their techs seem knowledgeable, but depending on who you are talking to, it's mostly radio silence. Get my car trucked back and forth was a massive headache...especially since they ask when works and seem to have the truck arrive squarely outside of the times you gave...and it's not like you can have the truck wait for you, they'll just leave to their next paying gig. I really, really, really wish I could just take my car to the local Volvo service center...at least I can meander over there and harass them in person. I honestly don't know why Polestar US decided to partner with single Volvo dealerships for service, maybe it had something to do with how our dealership models are? It just seems odd.

Sorry....kind of went off on a longer rager than I meant to...

With all that being said...I love my car, pretty much everything about it. I don't even mind the cup holders (way better than my previous cars)...I just don't want to cringe anytime I need to get the thing looked at

·
Registered
California
1,076 Posts
Don't let my negative moment here make you worried, if I had to buy another EV right now it would be my performance pack P2 (unless I won a small lottery I would buy the soon to come Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo GTS).
Ah ha ha this is exactly my thinking, even to the alternate car. I specced out a Taycan Cross Turismo GTS again last night just to reconfirm where I want my money right now...

I could always take it to another Volvo service center too.
I know we’re very lucky to have “two” Polestar-approved Volvo service centers in the bay area, but Volvo Palo Alto has the same ultimate owners as Volvo Marin. For whatever reason, Volvo Palo Alto has been much more resistant to loaner vehicles and the entire concept of valet service. It can be made to happen, but not without having to have uncomfortable conversations. Volvo Marin just says “Sure!” and only later drops the ball.

·
Registered
752 Posts
This is super fair though! One of my first jobs, and only support and repair role, was as a Genius at an Apple Store — this was like 16+ years ago and even then CRM systems made it dirt simple to make sure we reached out to customers proactively about any change in status to repair timelines, parts delivery, whatever. It was just something we did daily, completely expected. The technology available to handle this stuff today by comparison is insane. There’s no excuse for a luxury car company to not go through the list of repairs every day and re-set expectations as needed without waiting for the customer to call in.

·
Registered
California
1,076 Posts
There’s no excuse for a luxury car company to not go through the list of repairs every day and re-set expectations as needed without waiting for the customer to call in.
From Chapter 1 of my novel to Polestar CS:
Once they do have my car, I typically don’t hear anything for days at a time. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect a short status update at least every other day, if not daily, when my car is in someone else’s possession. But I’ve sometimes gone a week or more with silence.
... [more ranting about other things] ...
For comparison, how service worked with my previous vehicles:
Tesla Model 3 - Scheduled time via Tesla app, updated and chatted with advisor via text message.
Alfa Romeo Giulia - Advisor and I always communicated over email, including scheduling.
Volvo C30 - First service center was Volvo Palo Alto (Price Simms, who y’all work with here), had difficulties with their communication and lack of loaner vehicles, so switched to Volvo Stevens Creek. Advisor communicated updates over email. Scheduling happened via a web page. This was 11 years ago.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ah ha ha this is exactly my thinking, even to the alternate car. I specced out a Taycan Cross Turismo GTS again last night just to reconfirm where I want my money right now...

I know we’re very lucky to have “two” Polestar-approved Volvo service centers in the bay area, but Volvo Palo Alto has the same ultimate owners as Volvo Marin. For whatever reason, Volvo Palo Alto has been much more resistant to loaner vehicles and the entire concept of valet service. It can be made to happen, but not without having to have uncomfortable conversations. Volvo Marin just says “Sure!” and only later drops the ball.
There is a dealer in Santa Rosa I was going to call and see if they can take care of our cars though it's a pretty small lot. One thought I had was to just call and order the parts myself from the parts counter and it wouldn't be tied to a work order ticket. When mine gets here I can simply hand it to the service guy and say use this for the warranty repair and take the damaged one and give it to the parts guy and say it arrived damaged. You don't pay for parts until they arrive anyhow. Maybe this is me trying to be sneaky but it could work. I just paid 800 bucks to ceramic tint the entire car so I have no plans of getting rid of it until my lease is up (yes I tinted a leased car I know, I know) because I do love the car that much. My wife bought a Porsche Macan from Porsche Marin the same week I ordered my P2 and the entire experience and service there had been phenomenal! After I test drove her Macan I was talking to the salesman about my car and the Taycan he ordered ad built. After about 20 minutes of shooting the shit he told me to wait and came out with a set of keys to a Taycan Turbo test vehicle and let me rip it around the block and freeway for a bit. I was shocked because the sticker was still on the window ($250,000 as spec'd) and they didn't care. I've driven a lot of high end cars and fully built track only race cars in my lifetime and nothing has ever come close to making me feel the way I did driving that car. I've been obsessing over it since and even though I wouldn't buy the Turbo because of the price tag, the 4s and GTS models aren't entirely out of this world expensive if you really look at what your getting IMO. I'm a sucker for a good looking wagon, when I saw the CT I knew what was going to have to happen next!

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is a dealer in Santa Rosa I was going to call and see if they can take care of our cars though it's a pretty small lot. One thought I had was to just call and order the parts myself from the parts counter and it wouldn't be tied to a work order ticket. When mine gets here I can simply hand it to the service guy and say use this for the warranty repair and take the damaged one and give it to the parts guy and say it arrived damaged. You don't pay for parts until they arrive anyhow. Maybe this is me trying to be sneaky but it could work. I just paid 800 bucks to ceramic tint the entire car so I have no plans of getting rid of it until my lease is up (yes I tinted a leased car I know, I know) because I do love the car that much. My wife bought a Porsche Macan from Porsche Marin the same week I ordered my P2 and the entire experience and service there had been phenomenal! After I test drove her Macan I was talking to the salesman about my car and the Taycan he ordered ad built. After about 20 minutes of shooting the shit he told me to wait and came out with a set of keys to a Taycan Turbo test vehicle and let me rip it around the block and freeway for a bit. I was shocked because the sticker was still on the window ($250,000 as spec'd) and they didn't care. I've driven a lot of high end cars and fully built track only race cars in my lifetime and nothing has ever come close to making me feel the way I did driving that car. I've been obsessing over it since and even though I wouldn't buy the Turbo because of the price tag, the 4s and GTS models aren't entirely out of this world expensive if you really look at what your getting IMO. I'm a sucker for a good looking wagon, when I saw the CT I knew what was going to have to happen next!
Hey, we're in Sebastopol! If you figure out a Santa Rosa hookup please let me know...

·
Registered
150 Posts
There is a dealer in Santa Rosa I was going to call and see if they can take care of our cars
This would be interesting to hear. I called our local Volvo and they gave me a resounding "No, not going to happen". Apparently they can do general stuff (washer fluid, tires, etc.), but anything else the won't since they are not certified by Polestar. Seems like it should be pretty 1:1 since they service all the Recharge vehicles.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
I can't reply fast enough to y'all it seems:
1. Yesss to the Taycan Cross or Sport Turismo. If I could have that and Apple CarPlay had access to the consumption info to give the in car navigation that the Polestar has - and I had the funds for that rock and roll lifestyle - that would be the ideal...
2. @PolestarMG I've totally used the Apple GeniusBar example of how it should be. There's basically no reason they couldn't have a system to proactively communicate with the customer.
3. @julianm you can add servicing my Corollas and then Camry at Toyota 101 to the mix. My overall service experience for ~$20-25k cars at a decidedly not premium marque/dealer was much smoother than Polestar. I could set up an appointment online; drop it off at the indicated time when the tech could see the info I put into the text field of the appt setup; then be in text/SMS communication throughout the day with the tech; get pretty great cookies and bootle water if I waited (preCovid at least); and a shuttle back and forth if needed. And they've had that system for almost 20 years now.
4. Volvo Palo Alto has gotten world's better but yeah they still hesitate a bit about loaners and when I tried to set up pickup/drop off service it was a disaster to the point that it was easier for me to do it myself - I live not far from them and this was also the only way I would then know they saw or heard the same thing I did. I also got the 2 generations old S60 loaner - was it a white one, black interior, way too grumbly/whiny engine??
5. @Belac It's 100% our dealer laws messing it up. Even though the sales and service parts of any dealership are functionally independent, Volvo dealers in different parts are trying to use servicing as a kind of hostage in negotiating with Polestar USA to get a piece of the sales action. Since Polestar USA wants the no dealers sales model of Tesla, they've had to be very selective about who they partner with for the service side.
6. @norcal All that said, I still do love my car. I just avoid having to take it in for service.

·
Registered
150 Posts
This would be interesting to hear. I called our local Volvo and they gave me a resounding "No, not going to happen". Apparently they can do general stuff (washer fluid, tires, etc.), but anything else the won't since they are not certified by Polestar. Seems like it should be pretty 1:1 since they service all the Recharge vehicles.

Yeah, typically a dealer wont sell certain model vehicles if they can't service them. Perfect example are Nissan GTR's; technicians have to go through very specific training and pass it all to be qualified to put any wrench time in on them. If a dealers service center hasn't enrolled into that program and have qualified techs they weren't given any GTR allotments. At least that's how it is with new models and was, I wouldn't be surprised if that's since changed since they have ben in production for ten+ years

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Dual Motor Launch Edition 2021 - Void
712 Posts
I honestly don't know why Polestar US decided to partner with single Volvo dealerships for service, maybe it had something to do with how our dealership models are? It just seems odd.
This is completely because of the US. Because in the Netherlands your local Volvo dealer is your servicing contact, they will just bill Polestar for the work they do.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts