Polestar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a base LRDM with no packs that is supposedly at port right now with an estimated date of delivery of 6/30/22 (previously 6/23/22).

When I placed my order in 3/2022, due to website ordering errors, I was only able to place an order through the South Coast Space (although Los Angeles/San Jose were closer).

Now, I need to plan where to charge on the way to Fresno and I am brand new to EVs. I was trying to only stop once, but I'm fine with stopping twice. For those outside of California, it's all freeway with a 4000' range between Castaic and Bakersfield.

2 stop plan: SC Space to Castaic charger (85 miles), Castaic charger to Bakersfield charger (77 miles) and then home (120 miles or so)

1 stop plan: SC space to Bakersfield charger (162 miles, but have to go through a 4000' mountain range), then 120 miles to home.

My concern is the 162 mile leg going through a mountain range. My backup would be to do a level 2 charge at the bottom of the mountain if I couldn't get all the way to the Bakersfield Charger. Anybody have thoughts or experience with real world range in 100 degree F temps?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I wouldn’t have range or charging anxiety (or should I say allergy?**) for this particular trip. A bunch of us have done SoCal to NorCal in this car.

first get free logins setup for abetterrouteplanner.com (ABRP) and plugshare.com and their associated apps. From ABRP you can plan out your specific route, with starting charge etc all laid out and with surprising accuracy. And can check out the charger suggestions in plugshare. ABRP suggests one stop when I plugged in your start/stop.

** - I may be commenting entirely to ask if you’re a rheumatologist

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input - I just wasn't sure how accurate the route planning apps were. This gives me the confidence that I needed. You're close! I'm an allergist (IgE being the allergic antibody but it sounds like you already know).

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2022 Polestar 2, Snow, Pilot
157 Posts
I agree with polerad -- its easier than you think and the apps are very accurate.

I'd do the Tehachapi route. Although you can make it to from South Coast Plaza to Bakersfield without charging, on that route you can do a quick charge at Mojave right before you climb the hill just to feel more comfortable and give you more options once you hit Bakersfield (the CA St station is sometimes full -- you can go to the other one at Target (McDonald's actually) or if you filled up in Mojave, just keep going to Tulare).

In my experience the heat has little effect on range (<10%) but I'd recommend keeping your aircon on during the charges as it uses the station's electricity and not yours. Use the app to turn on "Climate".

Make sure the dealer activates your Electrify America subscription before you leave the Space!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm hoping that they'll activate it before I leave there, but I saw some other threads saying that EA only activates once a week. I don't mind paying for the first week or so and I already have a 50a circuit waiting at home :)

·
Registered
2022 Polestar 2, Snow, Pilot
157 Posts
Great. Enjoy your trip and your new car! I re-read your first post -- no need for any Level 2s ... the Mojave is a full Level 3 and works well and should now have the solar awnings (they were installing them last time I was there.)

·
Registered
PS2 | Midnight LRDM | Pilot | Plus | Barley | MY2022
36 Posts
Thanks for the input. I'm hoping that they'll activate it before I leave there, but I saw some other threads saying that EA only activates once a week. I don't mind paying for the first week or so and I already have a 50a circuit waiting at home :)
I was able to activate my EA with the VIN and order number on a Sunday the day after I took delivery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We can't wait to receive it. It's good to hear the the accounts are activating quickly. It would be great to not have any recharging costs for the ride home.

·
Registered
2022 Polestar 2 LRDM Moon Pilot Plus Nappa delivered May 19th 2022
35 Posts
From the recent experience I had on my trip to Las Vegas, which also had a few 4,000 foot climbs, I would say a one stopper is easily achievable for you.
See my notes on my trip here First road trip OC to LV

·
Registered
19 Posts
I live in Colorado so the mountains may not be exactly the same, but man 160 miles of mountain driving sounds like a very long driving shift, especially in a car you're not used to yet. 2 stops is gonna take slightly longer but it's probably gonna be a lot more comfortable. Looking at polerad's itinerary, it'd also be less stressful since you won't have to go from nearly full to nearly empty on your very first trip.

Like, I used to have an older Tesla with similar range. I remember my first few road trips getting pretty nerve-wracking when I had to get close to the edge of my range. I switched to a "It's just highway driving, why push it if I don't have to?" after a while and imo the lower stress is well worth the time trade off.

(It's your first EV, the perfect time to adjust how you think about road trips, and I am a big advocate of taking it easy :D )

It's entirely up to you though, the car can definitely handle it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I routinely drive from LA (Santa Monica) to Mt. Pinos, which is an hour south of Bakersfield. While it's 87 miles, it is about 6000-7000 feet of gain to where I go and I use about 60% from a 100% full charge on the way there. Yeah, I typically have only 40-43% when I get there. On the way home, I only use about 25-30% (downhill -> regen).

One thing to keep in mind with stops with an EV: don't think "gotta fill up" because once you hit 80% SOC, it slows down a lot. It's more efficient in terms of time to charge just up to about 70-80% and base your stops on that. So, more stops but shorter stops. This is my first EV and it took me a bit to get used to that. And you definitely want to focus on using 150 kW chargers.

Google Maps will tell you where the chargers are and if they are free or not.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I routinely drive from LA (Santa Monica) to Mt. Pinos, which is an hour south of Bakersfield. While it's 87 miles, it is about 6000-7000 feet of gain to where I go and I use about 60% from a 100% full charge on the way there. Yeah, I typically have only 40-43% when I get there. On the way home, I only use about 25-30% (downhill -> regen).

One thing to keep in mind with stops with an EV: don't think "gotta fill up" because once you hit 80% SOC, it slows down a lot. It's more efficient in terms of time to charge just up to about 70-80% and base your stops on that. So, more stops but shorter stops. This is my first EV and it took me a bit to get used to that. And you definitely want to focus on using 150 kW chargers.

Google Maps will tell you where the chargers are and if they are free or not.
Great post. As an EV newbie this sort of experience helps a lot. Thanks.

Reactions: CarGuyEddie

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I live in Colorado so the mountains may not be exactly the same, but man 160 miles of mountain driving sounds like a very long driving shift, especially in a car you're not used to yet. 2 stops is gonna take slightly longer but it's probably gonna be a lot more comfortable. Looking at polerad's itinerary, it'd also be less stressful since you won't have to go from nearly full to nearly empty on your very first trip.

Like, I used to have an older Tesla with similar range. I remember my first few road trips getting pretty nerve-wracking when I had to get close to the edge of my range. I switched to a "It's just highway driving, why push it if I don't have to?" after a while and imo the lower stress is well worth the time trade off.

(It's your first EV, the perfect time to adjust how you think about road trips, and I am a big advocate of taking it easy :D )

It's entirely up to you though, the car can definitely handle it.
that’s definitely a great perspective and point. No need to cannonball your first run in an EV and a new car. check out a couple options for chargers en route - including food options nearby! - and when in the car see what Google maps predicts is % remaining at the favored one. If you can make it with enough personal energy and battery energy go for it. Or stop sooner at a nice sight!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to everyone for their input - I can imagine myself getting a bit nervous when I see the % charge dipping below 20% since I'm new to EVs. It'll probably be a game time decision with what we end up doing, but it is reassuring to hear that most of the apps/google maps work well.

·
Registered
MY22 Snow | Plus | Pilot | Performance
65 Posts
So the way I did mine, and I'm on the east coast (for only 3 more days though), was set up EVgo and EA apps with my credit card before I even took delivery of the car. This got me from New Jersey back home to Virginia using EA (EVgo was just in case). Once I got home, I navigated through EA to input my information and boom, I got the 2 years free charging began. I was too impatient to set up the free offer before setting off, I really wanted to drive my new toy. It cost me like 12 bucks without the free EA offer. What I'm trying to say is if your impatient it is still very cheap to drive this car even if you have to pay. Just make sure your covered with the charging apps though.

Also welcome to the family!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So the way I did mine, and I'm on the east coast (for only 3 more days though), was set up EVgo and EA apps with my credit card before I even took delivery of the car. This got me from New Jersey back home to Virginia using EA (EVgo was just in case). Once I got home, I navigated through EA to input my information and boom, I got the 2 years free charging began. I was too impatient to set up the free offer before setting off, I really wanted to drive my new toy. It cost me like 12 bucks without the free EA offer. What I'm trying to say is if your impatient it is still very cheap to drive this car even if you have to pay. Just make sure your covered with the charging apps though.

Also welcome to the family!
Thanks for the input and I’m excited to be part of the Polestar family! Today I was able to send in my insurance info and set a date/time to pick up the car. Hopefully it goes smoothly. I have an EA account set up and if I’m able to get my free charging account set up when I take delivery of the car then great, but if not no big deal.

Crazy excited!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts