Polestar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's everyone using to clean/detail their cars?

My ceramic coating is still curing, so no washy wash for me yet, but with my previous car I used Ammo NYC products mostly. I like their Frothe rinseless wash, seems more paint friendly than the typical rinseless washes out there.

For the glass I use Invisible Glass. Everyone should use Invisible Glass. If your windows are tinted you should definitely use Invisible Glass.

Still trying to figure out the interior. Polestar US likes Luminous Worldwide for their test drive/demo fleet. Not an official recommendation or endorsed product, the crew just likes it. I ordered some and am gonna give it a shot.

If you don't like washing your car, just promise me you'll never take it to a car wash tunnel or one of those gas station places with the spinning brushes. Those things should be banned.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
615 Posts
I’m with you Joel. When I got my car I spent £’s buying all things to clean and look after my car. You’ll find a post somewhere about what many of use to clean our cars. I mainly went with Maguiars products but also just used the turtle wax ceramic spray. I’ve been pleased with the results so far.

Certainly a big fan of snow foam to start the process.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I've found it's more about the process and sequence than products.

As my car is now ceramic coated I follow these steps.

Jet Wash
Foam Wash
Jet Wash
<see below>
Hand Wash using the two bucket method.
Jet Wash
Dry

Above is my typical wash.

However at <> I'll inspect the car. If I see lots of bird crap or tar/oil marks on the car, I have other products to tackle them directly and will do this at this step and then Jet Wash again before the hand wash.

I wouldn't bother with claying unless you are prepping a the car for a protective coating.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Jet wash.
Bilt Hamber AutoFoam prewash
Wheel wash whilst AutoFoam dwells
Jet wash
2 bucket hand wash with Bilt Hamber AutoWash
Rinse with open ended water hose so water sheets off the paintwork
Dry
I then apply Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer (BSD) and buff off.
BSD is amazing stuff. Hydrophobic, incredibly glossy finish, good protection and reasonably priced. It is also a very effective drying aid.
I use ODK Cabin dressing for the interior.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Today’s project: polishing out swirlies my car was delivered with & laying down a coat of “wax”. I’m a fan of Griot Garage’s stuff - used their Complete Polish and Ceramic 3-in-1 wax (first time using the latter, it was super easy to apply, we’ll see how I like it long-term). The paint did have a few (2-3) sub-surface issues, but overall looks pretty good.

·
Registered
183 Posts
How do people avoid scratching or marring the piano black finish around the doors? I've never had a car before with an external finish like that. (Cheaper trim levels) 😭

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
615 Posts
Anyone got a dual action electric polisher? If so which one? Recommendations? I’m not an expert detailed so not looking for the very best in class.

Spent 2hrs foaming, washing and drying mine today...looks great until I get back on the road again! 🙄

·
Registered
178 Posts
How do people avoid scratching or marring the piano black finish around the doors?
Minimize touching it (washing, drying, etc.). The pressure wash/foam cannon technique others have posted on this thread is a good way to do that.

My B-pillar trim was delivered with some light scratching. Polish with the PC orbital took it right out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts