Polestar Forum banner

Should Polestar offer a black leather seat option?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if the Old Lady Beige* seats are supposed to be in some way ironic, or if the colour is designed as a punishment for choosing a product of animal origin, but does anyone else find the lack of a black leather seat option a complete travesty? I don't understand how The Future can look so very 'cool' on the exterior, yet so damned fugly upon opening the door. Frankly, I'm not sure I want to be part of it..

I could see why restricting the choice of seat leather colour to a single option might be sensible, or even a necessity, for a smaller manufacturer to keep costs down. But to decide that beige is that best single option completely blows my mind.

It leaves me with two thoughts:
1. I wonder who the someone is who can afford a 60k car, wants yellow seat belts, adjustable ohlins dampers AND beige seats.
2. I never realised how offended I could be when presented with having to choose between cheap fabric seats or Ball-sack Beige**

Perhaps the Achromatopsian community is a larger market than I'd expected..

Can anyone change my mind on this? I'm afraid, unless something changes between now and new car time, this is a problem I can't get over and Tesla can take my money.

*Age & Gender used for demonstrative purposes only - not to be construed as derogatory, merely the common colour choice of the more senior and female market, of which I am neither.
** Yeah, I might be a little pasty below the belt..

·
Registered
117 Posts
OK - so the 'cheap fabric seats' turn out to be rather good and feel very premium TBH. By all means hand Tesla your hard earned cash, but definitely don't expect premium (their 'leather' seats are actually plastic). My colleague has a TM3, the interior fit and finish is much poorer in quality than the Polestar. His car is 3 months old and he is having issues with the paintwork already. Tesla CS say that this is not a warranty issue. Your money, your choice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From this introduction you sound much more like a Tesla person.
Good luck moving forward
Assuming your profile picture is an accurate likeness, I can understand your defense of the Beige. :p
Joking aside, is Beige the new Black?
Am I missing something?
Do these look better in person?
How can polestar restrict certain exterior and interior colourways, but allow someone to spec bright yellow and beige..!?

·
Registered
Midnight & Barley Polestar 2 w/ PP
23 Posts
1. I wonder who the someone is who can afford a 60k car, wants yellow seat belts, adjustable ohlins dampers AND beige seats.
Li’l judgy there, bud.

For what it’s worth, they really don’t look “old lady beige” in person (IMO). The pattern helps with that.

I also think that the reason for the leather only being available in Barley is very clear - the car is new and has limited specs, and optioning leather is also optioning ventilated seats. If you live somewhere hot enough that ventilated seats are important, a dark interior is also going to be very very hot.

I guess to answer your question about “who the someone is who wants this spec”: I’m a 24-year-old engineer who has outdoor parking at work that gets to 110° Fahrenheit during the summer.

·
Registered
263 Posts
@XplusYplusZ you must be gutted you can't order the P*2 at the moment It's obvious you've made up your mind to get one and are eagerly seeking rational reasons to help talk yourself out of it - this is probably not the place to find them, most here are neither rational nor negative. Genuinely wish you good luck in your search.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Aesthetically I'd have chosen black leather if available with the PP. Beige / cream / Barley was considered, and almost chosen, but I backed out at the last minute. Didn't want to spend that much without having felt the leather first. Could be lovely or it could be plasticky.

The "weave tech" are good, would be nice to have those ventilated.

Glad black leather was not an option as I am really happy with the non-leather option.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,951 Posts
Assuming your profile picture is an accurate likeness, I can understand your defense of the Beige. :p
Joking aside, is Beige the new Black?
Am I missing something?
Do these look better in person?
How can polestar restrict certain exterior and interior colourways, but allow someone to spec bright yellow and beige..!?
You have described the 2 interior options as cheap or 'ball-sack'. I can only presume you have had a test drive, sat in or felt the interior to make this judgment. If this is the case & you are still wavering between a Polestar or a Tesla, your critiques on quality & taste are worthless.
Enjoy your Tesla.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK - so the 'cheap fabric seats' turn out to be rather good and feel very premium TBH. By all means hand Tesla your hard earned cash, but definitely don't expect premium (their 'leather' seats are actually plastic). My colleague has a TM3, the interior fit and finish is much poorer in quality than the Polestar. His car is 3 months old and he is having issues with the paintwork already. Tesla CS say that this is not a warranty issue. Your money, your choice.
Thanks PoleSpa. I've yet to actually sit in one (thanks Covid).
Naively, I hadn't expected the 'T' word to grab such attention - but on reflection I should have expected it to be a dirty word here.
This thread isn't aimed as a personal slight on current PS owners who have dropped the cash on the Beige or the Wetsuit options. So to the fabric seat lovers, and beige warriors alike, my apologies.

My main focus of this thread is to question if I am crazy to be wanting black leather seats, or if it's a reasonable request and Polestar have dropped the ball(sack).

(PS. I am aware of the fit and finish issues reported for the Teslas.. but to be honest, within this price range, we're not talking hand crafted Singers and coach-worked shut lines.)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Seems a reasonable question. If you REALLY wanted a black leather interior you could have it retrimmed? Not sure what that would cost but likely no more than the official option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have described the 2 interior options as cheap or 'ball-sack'. I can only presume you have had a test drive, sat in or felt the interior to make this judgment. If this is the case & you are still wavering between a Polestar or a Tesla, your critiques on quality & taste are worthless.
Enjoy your Tesla.
Once again - thanks for your time, Dave.
The fabric options are cheaper than the leather option, and, unfortunately, a lot of people are beige in skin tone - meaning that both my comments are factually correct, whether I've sat on them or not. And there's nothing wrong with cheap fabric seats, I would just prefer leather - I have a whole theory on friction coefficients, clothing and creases if you're interested.

But I must concede, I could have opted for a less emotive, but slightly more boring body part to compare your seats with - I am a child and enjoyed the alliteration.

Please understand, the reason for my disappointment is that the Polestar is a very serious contender for my next purchase. I probably would enjoy dialing in those dampers, and checking those gold dust caps don't corrode and adhere to the valve stems. So I'm not here to criticize the vehicle itself, I hear it is about the best electric car you can drive this side of £100k.
I am just asking for a simple black leather seating option.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks PoleSpa. I've yet to actually sit in one (thanks Covid).
Naively, I hadn't expected the 'T' word to grab such attention - but on reflection I should have expected it to be a dirty word here.
This thread isn't aimed as a personal slight on current PS owners who have dropped the cash on the Beige or the Wetsuit options. So to the fabric seat lovers, and beige warriors alike, my apologies.

My main focus of this thread is to question if I am crazy to be wanting black leather seats, or if it's a reasonable request and Polestar have dropped the ball(sack).

(PS. I am aware of the fit and finish issues reported for the Teslas.. but to be honest, within this price range, we're not talking hand crafted Singers and coach-worked shut lines.)
The T word isn't actually a dirty word round here, as most of the folks on here have probably examined all the other options closely before buying the Polestar. It's not as though people had bought a Polestar and then discovered that something better and newer was now available afterewards!

I would try the standard fabric seats on the Polestar before you make any decisions. I have come from a Volvo (still have it) with a black leather interior and I don't miss it. I actually think that the non-leather (and not imitation leather) was a shrewd move by Polestar to shift the expectations of premium brand car buyers away from the norm. Most premium brands are taking a half measure in moving to fake leather IMO. Colour choice is always going to be objective, I don't mind a barley / beige interior, as long as the carpets are dark. I had a black Saab 9-5 with 'sand' seats and beige carpets which didn't work well with small kids.

Good luck whatever you decide though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seems a reasonable question. If you REALLY wanted a black leather interior you could have it retrimmed? Not sure what that would cost but likely no more than the official option.
Now this is a sensible point, Lambo. At £4k we must be getting into bespoke leather territory..
Which reminds me of a particular interior I had the chance to sample a while ago..

1928 mercedes, with red lizard skin interior - hundreds of the little buggers. It wouldn't impress my vegan friends much, but I find this far less offensive than Beige Dave's old fishing nets and drinks bottles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The T word isn't actually a dirty word round here, as most of the folks on here have probably examined all the other options closely before buying the Polestar. It's not as though people had bought a Polestar and then discovered that something better and newer was now available afterewards!

I would try the standard fabric seats on the Polestar before you make any decisions. I have come from a Volvo (still have it) with a black leather interior and I don't miss it. I actually think that the non-leather (and not imitation leather) was a shrewd move by Polestar to shift the expectations of premium brand car buyers away from the norm. Most premium brands are taking a half measure in moving to fake leather IMO. Colour choice is always going to be objective, I don't mind a barley / beige interior, as long as the carpets are dark. I had a black Saab 9-5 with 'sand' seats and beige carpets which didn't work well with small kids.

Good luck whatever you decide though.
Those Volvo interiors are lovely.. are you sure you won't miss it!?

·
Registered
822 Posts
There are a number of small niggles, frustrations or things I miss that I have with my polestar vs the V90 (with black leather seats) that I came from. The weavetech is NOT one of those things. I also think that the leather option seats look quite classy.

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Registered
117 Posts
Those Volvo interiors are lovely.. are you sure you won't miss it!?
I've only driven my XC60 twice since taking delivery of the Polestar and TBH the seats feel a bit slippery. I wasn't sure how I'd get on with the seats (having ordered the car blind, I hadn't seen one in the flesh and didn't sit in one until mine was delivered) but find the interior a really nice place to be, the seats are definitely up to Volvo's usual levels of comfort. If they wear OK, I'll be happy to have made the switch.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Pretty much every review I have read have complimented the interior design. So, whilst we may be biased, there are independent reviews to read.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
My car has the light leather option and I am currently driving a loaner (car’s having a software bug looked at) that has the black fabric with Performance Pack and therefore yellow seatbelts.

my take is the leather option is a bit nicer looking and more plush than the fabric option, but the net quality difference isn’t that much. The black fabric and yellow belts makes for a nice contrast and the fabric texture is preferable in some ways - it holds onto you for the curves I think more. If I sprung for the performance pack (which I now think I would have wanted) I would prefer this spec since the yellow belts and blonde leather clash in my eyes.

that said my wife absolutely prefers the blond leather and the lighter wood accents. If we had to go with a darker interior - which she doesn’t want still - yes she would prefer leather to the fabric. She’s also a vegetarian and donates/volunteers with animal rights orgs. I’ve learned not to point that apparent discrepancy out.

if it were entirely up to me I’d go with the black fabric and performance pack, the car handles curves amazingly with the performance suspension. The nonPerformance suspension is good, and definitely better than Tesla (performance or non), but the Polestar performance suspension/chassis is better nonetheless. And with that I’d choose the black interior as a nice contrast to the gold belts.

but when it comes to aesthetics my wife’s opinion carries the day....

·
Registered
550 Posts
I am just asking for a simple black leather seating option.
Nobody in this forum is going to give you one. Polestar don’t offer one currently. If a black leather interior is high on your list of requirements and the choices that exist offend your senses, maybe the car’s not for you. Coming in here with the “I think the interior finishes on the car you all bought are repulsive and I’m here to complain about it” attitude is not winning you any fans, and a lot less constructive than, “I have concerns about the limited choice of interior finishes - how do you all like yours? Would you have chosen something different?”

I would not have pegged myself as a ‘beige’ guy, but have the Barley interior on a Void 2 partly to contrast the black exterior, and ngl it looks classy af and we get all the compliments driving around town. Even had very nice conversations with a few recent Model Y buyers. One lady asked if she could take a picture of my car the other day because she’s in the market.

The WeaveTech is no slouch. It feels premium, and is interesting in that it’s not trying to pretend to be leather like most other alternatives in higher-end vehicles. Not quite wetsuit material, not quite high-end denim in parts. I recommend checking it out as it comes in the traditional black and gray tones of some leathers. You do give up the option of ventilated seats, if important to you.

Hopefully that’s helpful. I’m a design-minded person, and think Polestar have chosen the initial (albeit muted) set of colors well to ensure that there are no truly bad combinations in the lot. Smartly, this also avoids them having to only offer certain interior/exterior combos in the first run.

If it’s not for you though, that’s totally fair, and I just ask that you read every comment twice to be sure it doesn’t come off as though you’re here to insult a bunch of folks’ very expensive new vehicles.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts