Polestar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me a link , source, opinion on setting the car ampage. Delivery threads say turn it up to 32A my delivery driver says leave it on 6A and trickle . I have not been able to find rationale for varying AMPs up or down . Can you help me (and others) to understand this?

·
Registered
67 Posts
At 6A it will take the car about 60 hours to take a full charge on a uk 240V outlet. You will be charging at around 1.3 kWh/h or around 4 miles of range every hour. Not great.

You will rarely go from empty to full, but even so you will likely want it to charge a bit faster. The car is capable of fast charging at up to 130kWh/h which is over 300A at 400V.

I am charging at home at 32A and sure it will not damage the batteries excessively. That is capable of a 100% charge in around 10 hours and would go from 20% to 80% in around 6 hours. I am happy with that.

·
Registered
738 Posts
In the UK set it to 32A.

Technically you could set to the Max 48A and just leave it there. It will only pull the highest value it can from the charger. So if you plug the 3Pin charger in that's 13A but have it set to 48A in the car it will still only pull 13A and won't melt the house down trying to pull 48A

So why have a system where you can adjust it?
Well some old houses or very remote houses, might not like your car pulling the full 32A on a 7kw Charger due to a weak electrical supply ... so you can manually restrict it to say 25A to ease the load across your house network.

·
Registered
166 Posts
So if you plug the 3Pin charger in that's 13A but have it set to 48A in the car it will still only pull 13A and won't melt the house down trying to pull 48A
To be picky, If you set the charge rate at 30 amps, and use the three-pin UK socket, it will charge at 10 amps, not 13 amps. (saving the fuse in the plug?)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Set it at 48A and leave it there, unless you need to reduce it because you're using a three-pin mains cable in which case you should limit it to 10A, or less on older electrics. If you ever use an extension lead then don't set it higher than 6A, or 8A if you're feeling brave. I've had an extension lead socket melt at 10A even though it was a good quality 16A extension lead!

Reactions: LexZ

·
Registered
166 Posts
Set it at 48A and leave it there, unless you need to reduce it because you're using a three-pin mains cable in which case you should limit it to 10A, or less on older electrics. If you ever use an extension lead then don't set it higher than 6A, or 8A if you're feeling brave. I've had an extension lead socket melt at 10A even though it was a good quality 16A extension lead!
With a 3pin, it will not charge above 10amp, no matter what you set it to. I have tried this. The charging flickered between 10 and 11, no more. Same as a 16amp cable won't supply 32 Amps. The cable knows best and somehow tells the car what the maximum is.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It knows the maximum for itself, however it doesn't know the capabilities of what it's connected to, so just be careful when connecting to old electrics or (in particular) through an extension lead.

·
Registered
738 Posts
The cable know's nothing ... John Snow ... it's the control gear in the charger and the car that chat to each other that determine the charge rate.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sort of. Untethered cables have a resistor in them that tells the EVSE the capabilities of the cable. So if you plug a 16A cable into a 32A EVSE, the EVSE will report back to the car that it can only support 16A.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In the UK set it to 32A.

Technically you could set to the Max 48A and just leave it there. It will only pull the highest value it can from the charger. So if you plug the 3Pin charger in that's 13A but have it set to 48A in the car it will still only pull 13A and won't melt the house down trying to pull 48A

So why have a system where you can adjust it?
Well some old houses or very remote houses, might not like your car pulling the full 32A on a 7kw Charger due to a weak electrical supply ... so you can manually restrict it to say 25A to ease the load across your house network.
Couldn't understand why it didn't charge fully overnight then noticed it's set to 6A. Now set to32 as recommended. Thank you.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Can anyone give me a link , source, opinion on setting the car ampage. Delivery threads say turn it up to 32A my delivery driver says leave it on 6A and trickle . I have not been able to find rationale for varying AMPs up or down . Can you help me (and others) to understand this?
Here is a picture of the charge screen. You can see it is clear and obvious how to change it. It is set to 24 at the moment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts