Polestar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have been having AC charging issues since day one with my car. It in the garage today for investigation. I took the two pictures attached of my AC trickle feed charger and of the car connector. After about 30 attempts to charge only twice have i had a trouble free connection when using AC (trickle or 3 phase cable) DC charges fine with no issues.
I have tried all of the recommended suggestions, waggle it around, hold it in, up down, sacrifice a llama etc. It will not charge without a fight.
being a Technical Support Consultant I thought i would apply some logic to the problem. What i have noticed is the female connectors are still perfect, no marks or lines or anything, the male connector on the car looks the same. I am now suspecting the cables supplied are not that good and the connection is just not tight enough. I know several of you have recommended or use a different cable/trickle charger with no problem. After spending just short of 50K on a car i would expect better equipment.
If you have time would some of you be able to take similar pictures of your connectors and share them? I an curious to see if any other show signs of connection.
Thanks
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-16 at 13.12.47 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-16 at 13.12.47.jpeg

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I've heard the Type 2 to Type 2 supplied cable isn't the best quality in the world .. some have been faulty.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Snap (see handshake thread). I was worried I had pushed the CP pin in by accident so your photo would have been reassuring to see a few days ago.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This seems to be a common issue. My car is loading at home (3 phases 16A) always whithout any problems.
Loading at public AC stations is always a hassle. Same troubles as you report.
I wonder if contact grease would make a difference. For sure it has something to do with the handshake.

·
Super Moderator
656 Posts
That cable appears to be a single phase cable as there are no contacts for L2 and L3! Or is it just a trick of the light?

There have been reports of duff cables so if you can find someone else with a good quality cable, I'd try that. If you're anywhere near Warwick I can lend you our Kona or Zoe cables which have been perfect every time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Do you have a multimeter? You should be able to buzz out (test the continuity/resistance between the pins) the cable to check for problems...

(You should also be able to work out the expected approximate resistance based on the thickness of the cable and the length)

Reactions: MarkG47

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update from the garage. Apparently I have a faulty onboard charger that needs to be replaced. They are trying to co-ordinate to have it done at the same time as the recall work. Only problem is my recall work is not scheduled until 5th January 2021. I feel a call to Polestar support coming on (again)

·
Super Moderator
656 Posts
Well, the signalling cables are, but they're only 12V (I think? Low voltage anyway).
A recall in January sounds way too far away. I don't give much for your chances of getting that far given how many other people with early cars have had them ending up on a tow truck... But I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the update.. I’ll ask my dealer to check mine when goes in for recalls (3rd Dec). From the forum gather you are not the first.

·
Super Moderator
656 Posts
Correct - it's even got a place in the issues list I maintain...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Snap (see handshake thread). I was worried I had pushed the CP pin in by accident so your photo would have been reassuring to see a few days ago.
The CP pin is meant to be shorter. Its a protection thing I think. The last pin to make connection on inserting plug , and the first pin to break connection when removing plug so you don't draw an arc if you pull the cable.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Update from the garage. Apparently I have a faulty onboard charger that needs to be replaced. They are trying to co-ordinate to have it done at the same time as the recall work. Only problem is my recall work is not scheduled until 5th January 2021. I feel a call to Polestar support coming on (again)
Ditto. My OBC is also faulty and the garage is trying to co-ordinate spare OBC at the same time as the inverter recall work. My charging issue isn't as severe, no problems handshaking, and no problems with home charger or DC charges, just untethered AC charges.

·
Registered
266 Posts
... just untethered AC charges.
Is this is the outcome of your 'cable problem' you described earlier?
Would be interested to understand why a tethered charger behaves differently from an untethered one as the wiring and 'protocol' should be the same on both.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Is this is the outcome of your 'cable problem' you described earlier?
Would be interested to understand why a tethered charger behaves differently from an untethered one as the wiring and 'protocol' should be the same on both.
Yes. The garage reported they got a fault code when interrogating the OBC, so are replacing some/all of it. But I agree with you, that it doesn't explain why there is a fault as there should technically be no difference between the two cases. Clearly my car is capable of charging at 7KW AC since my home charger works. My inner engineer want to know why and what the fault is! (but I'll just accept it if they successfully fix it)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts