Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Polestar2 Magnesium
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a very few times when using regenerative braking and decelerating I get a slight shudder In the driveline. 98% of the time slowing down it is very smooth and controlled. Love the overall handling and power train.
Thought it might be the road but that does not seem to be part of the pattern.
Anyone else experience this?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
I got a bit of a shudder with very hard acceleration. I chalk it up to the tread blocks on my winter tires when stressed to that level.

Another cause for shudder would be rust on the rotors when first engaging the friction brakes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
For a very few times when using regenerative braking and decelerating I get a slight shudder In the driveline. 98% of the time slowing down it is very smooth and controlled. Love the overall handling and power train.
Thought it might be the road but that does not seem to be part of the pattern.
Anyone else experience this?
Thanks
Yes. I get a vibration under deceleration. If I'm getting full regen from speed it happens around 13 mph. If I'm cruising I can replicate it around 23 mph when the power meter goes from power to regeneration. The vibration is brief but noticeable.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Is this a seat-of-your-pants kinda thing, or is it in the steering wheel? I haven't felt anything in my car.

Reactions: KRS

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Through the car rather than the steering wheel.
Thanks, I'll have to give it a shot. It might be the switchover from regen to friction brakes since the car does use the latter at low speeds even using OPD... dunno what that speed is though.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar2 Magnesium
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. I get a vibration under deceleration. If I'm getting full regen from speed it happens around 13 mph. If I'm cruising I can replicate it around 23 mph when the power meter goes from power to regeneration. The vibration is brief but noticeable.
Thanks, I'll have to see if I can duplicate on deceleration while paying attention to speed.
And yes for me it is felt thru the car not steering.
Not really an issue just curious what others have experienced.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar2 Magnesium
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got a bit of a shudder with very hard acceleration. I chalk it up to the tread blocks on my winter tires when stressed to that level.

Another cause for shudder would be rust on the rotors when first engaging the friction brakes.
It is definitely not brake shudder.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
It is definitely not brake shudder.
Yea, you tend to feel that in the wheel. Wonder if there's an abruptness to the engagement that's causing a vibration.

Oh, hasn't been asked. To those experiencing it, do you have the Performance Pack?

·
Registered
2021 Polestar2 Magnesium
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, you tend to feel that in the wheel. Wonder if there's an abruptness to the engagement that's causing a vibration.

Oh, hasn't been asked. To those experiencing it, do you have the Performance Pack?
I do not have performance pack.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Just got back from picking up the kids, and there was no noticeable vibration or shudder when the car was slowing. Maybe it is the non-PP brakes actuating?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
When I first drive the car it cleans the disc brakes. This sounds more like a scrapping than a judder feeling. But I can imagine this could cause a low rumble or judder.

Once I've stopped once or twice it stops cleaning the brakes and I get zero noise or Judders .... Non-PP pack, 19" standard wheels.

So if its only the first couple of stops then not a problem, it's the brakes cleaning the discs.

However if everyone you stop then it might be lack of lube somewhere, best get it checked out imho.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
871 Posts
When I first drive the car it cleans the disc brakes. This sounds more like a scrapping than a judder feeling. But I can imagine this could cause a low rumble or judder.

Once I've stopped once or twice it stops cleaning the brakes and I get zero noise or Judders .... Non-PP pack, 19" standard wheels.

So if its only the first couple of stops then not a problem, it's the brakes cleaning the discs.

However if everyone you stop then it might be lack of lube somewhere, best get it checked out imho.
Same here, and I think it's also related to lack of regen. Eg when reversing out of my drive in the morning with the battery really cold, it seems to be using the brakes more to control speed, so it makes even more noise and judders worse. This is less of an issue if the first drive of the day is after noon sow the temperature of the battery has had a chance to increase.

I wouldn't mind if it was a bit more refined in cold mornings, but it's not a big issue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Happens everytime with me so it's not a brake cleaning thing. When Covid restrictions lift I'll probably take it to the garage and show them.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Void, PP
93 Posts
I dont have it with my car (1500km now) but i did have it with my replacement car (6k km). So i hope i wont get it soon.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Happens everytime with me so it's not a brake cleaning thing. When Covid restrictions lift I'll probably take it to the garage and show them.
Performance pack?

I dont have it with my car (1500km now) but i did have it with my replacement car (6k km). So i hope i wont get it soon.
Did the replacement have the PP?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I have PP , the replacement did not.
Seems so far people with the PP haven't noticed it. Wondering if it's the non-PP brakes engaging. I think they're 2 piston sliding, so maybe feeling the mechanism through the car.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,587 Posts
Seems so far people with the PP haven't noticed it. Wondering if it's the non-PP brakes engaging. I think they're 2 piston sliding, so maybe feeling the mechanism through the car.
I haven’t noticed the shudder. But I do notice a chirp which I wonder is related to my brakes trying to do something.

also on occasion I hear the car making varied clicks/mechanical noises when it’s just sitting for a while parked and locked. Any idea what that’s all about? Starting/stopping 12V charges?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I have a non-PP and so do many Lease Owners in the UK ... if this was massive problem it would be all over facebook/forums. I think it's a few cars that might need a little lube somewhere. Take them to Volvo and let them figure it out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts