Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yeah, seems like they're going to go the same route as bumping power on Volvos by paying for Polestar Engineered Optimization, which is in the $1k to $1.2k range. I paid that for our V90cc, and the overall boost to performance was noticeable, though I always felt the value was probably closer to the $800 range.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought the PP because I had my fingers crossed that polestar would flip the switch and give the P2 more power. The car seems more than capable of a higher top speed and better acceleration. It would certainly be disappointing if after buying every option and waiting for my P2, that they shortly thereafter asked for more money to flip a switch to increase the power. I don't think Tesla has charged for any similar OTA update and I think it would be going down the wrong path if Polestar chose to do so to loyal fans who have been waiting to try something other than Tesla for quite some time.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Do you know if the PS has been tested and confirmed to deliver 407 hp? To me it feels like it has less power now than when I got it. I know Tesla was taken to court because they lied about the 700 hp they claimed the car had. Some user had it tested and it was a lot less hp.
They won.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you know if the PS has been tested and confirmed to deliver 407 hp? To me it feels like it has less power now than when I got it. I know Tesla was taken to court because they lied about the 700 hp they claimed the car had. Some user had it tested and it was a lot less hp.
They won.
Ok I’ve kind of felt like my car doesn’t feel as powerful as when I first got it but I just figured it was because I was getting used to it. I’d be interested to see dyno results too. Not sure how that works when you can’t fully turn off traction and stability control.

·
Registered
Polestar 2
278 Posts
They won.
I posted this in another thread - seems to verify the bhp and the torque 👍

·
Registered
California
908 Posts
I don't think Tesla has charged for any similar OTA update and I think it would be going down the wrong path if Polestar chose to do so to loyal fans who have been waiting to try something other than Tesla for quite some time.
I purchased the “Acceleration Boost” software update for my Model 3 for $2000.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I purchased the “Acceleration Boost” software update for my Model 3 for $2000.
The 'acceleration boost' is included with the Tesla Performance spec though right ?
Likewise I think this potential boost should come included in the Performance Pack and a paid option for the nonPerformance spec

·
Registered
158 Posts
The 'acceleration boost' is included with the Tesla Performance spec though right ?
Likewise I think this potential boost should come included in the Performance Pack and a paid option for the nonPerformance spec
I don't. I think anyone who purchased the PP hoping they would eventually turn the power up is expecting something they weren't advertised.

·
Registered
California
908 Posts
It was a little bit more complicated — the Performance model was already tuned to higher performance because Tesla bins their motors. The over-performers are used for the Performance spec, which are tuned to more output even before this update I’m citing. Tesla did regularly improve its performance very slightly beyond that though yes.

They then discovered tuning they could do on their more-standard-binned motors, hence this Acceleration Boost in-app purchase update. That part feels a little more like Polestar’s situation.

I do hope us Performance Pack folk at least get a discount though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don’t understand the tie between the PP and a possible increase in HP. I get the meaning of “Performance” but HP increases were never advertised as part of the package. Between the cost of the rims, dampers, and brakes I don’t see any additional margin for free boosts in HP.

If Polestar charges for an upgrade, I view it as a lost opportunity. I’m tired of seeing EV companies copy the Tesla model. The volume of P2s pale in comparison to Teslas. The revenue generated from this doesn’t seem worth it if they plan on selling it. Especially since most on the board has demonstrated a lack of interest. They should push this out for free and enjoy the free publicity. More media outlets would pick this up if they took the goodwill route. This type of offering may push potential customers to give Polestar a second look.

·
Registered
California
908 Posts
Does Polestar even have the infrastructure built to be able to do an in-app-purchase-style paid upgrade?

Is that really the best use of their engineering time right now vs just giving this to everyone? Would they really make enough money for the engineering time spent that could’ve been spent on all the at-ship-promised features that they’re still behind on?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts