Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Naive as this may sound, if Polestar advertise a WLTP of 335 miles, the car at 100% charge should offer more than 270miles. The car has zero chance of achieving a max range when its fully charged max range is 65 miles less. I actually thought I'd been sold a single motor standard range in error, but Polestar confirmed that the car's max "real life" max charge (and therefore range) is 270 miles on the car.

Any thoughts ?

Registered
Polestar 2
You haven't been sold a standard range as the realistic range for that model is somewhere around 200 to 225 miles 馃憤

It's well documented though that you can't expect to get WLTP figures as they're not remotely based on real life driving situations.

But, based on figures @Icesingh has been getting in his SMLR I reckon 300 miles is achievable especially when it gets warmer.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You haven't been sold a standard range as the realistic range for that model is somewhere around 200 to 225 miles 馃憤

It's well documented though that you can't expect to get WLTP figures as they're not remotely based on real life driving situations.

But, based on figures @Icesingh has been getting in his SMLR I reckon 300 miles is achievable especially when it gets warmer.
Thank you. Would you expect the displayed 100% charge to change to 300 miles in summer or remain at 270 but likely to get more for the 270 ?

I just found it odd that the display at 100% charge would not show the fictional 335 miles at least in an attempt to justify the advertised range.

Registered
Polestar 2
That's a consistent point of contention on here - there are 3 different places where you can see the range, all of which are likely to be different 馃槀

That 270 miles for 100% display won't ever change (unless Polestar update it) - but the range assistant app is meant to show you a more accurate range based on current conditions/driving etc.

The most accurate range is probably from Google Maps though.

Registered
The guess-o-meter displayed range seems to be tied to the US EPA rated ranges - 270 mi for single motor long range, 249 mi dual motor long range. It's fixed at those numbers at 100% and then goes down from there in proportion to SOC%. Given that any rated range that doesn't take into account ambient temperature, right pedal use by the driver, etc is functionally useless, I basically ignore it entirely. In the EU/UK, I understand Polestar is legally bound to advertise the WLTP rated ranges, which are completely fictional as far as I can tell.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Google maps does seem to give the most accurate representation of SOC% for any given journey. Interestingly I got home late Sunday night from the final 95 mile leg of a 300 mile journey and GM said I'd be home with 9% charge, which was absolutely correct. When I went to charge it at 7am the next morning, the "main" display said I only had 3% battery....which basically reinforces the point above that none of them are in sync :)

Registered
Polestar 2
It's still a bit odd that everyone is so focused on range in EVs - in ICE cars you could have a predicted range of 100 miles, hammer it like a loon and only get 70-80 miles and nobody would bat an eyelid.

And I don't know about anybody else but I never checked or cared about the range on any ICE car I bought.

I can only think we'll all learn to accept that it's purely a guide and when it's close to empty then you charge up again exactly like we do with ICE cars (infrastructure improvements will help with this).

Registered
@scottyrom76 the WLTP figures are independently verified I believe. Polestar just declare what is stated by the tester.

The 9% you arrived home on was correct, but it arrived as a hot battery, when the battery cools especially after a 300 mile trip it expects to drop a few percent 6 is a bit extreme but I鈥檝e seen percentage drops of about 3. Recently I鈥檝e been doing short journeys of 3 to 5 miles and on cold batteries the % drops are extreme, losing 5% battery in 5 miles but I expect it鈥檚 similar to a ICE cars where cold engines are uneconomical, but we don鈥檛 notice it as we don鈥檛 stare at the petrol gauges lol.

As @BedsPolestar stated I鈥檝e achieved economy figures in the LR to suggest 300 is possible, the trick will be to actually achieving it. On my last long run I managed to complete 190 miles on 65% battery which would translate to about 270 miles. Temp was cold 7c so in warmer weather 300 should be easily achievable, also I will need to reduce my speed to achieve it as at one point I hit 85mph lol.

I鈥檝e only had the car 3 months and am only interested in the range so I know what it can do, and to work out how accurate the range app, GM are so I can drive as I would in an ICE. I never used to use Sat Nav etc as people don鈥檛 tend to learn routes and if the system ever went haywire (loss of LTE) they wouldn鈥檛 know how to get from a to b lol So as soon as I work out how far I can go before a charge economy and range etc will stop mattering to me.

At present my wife is more concerned with the SOc than I am as it hits 50% she starts panicking and asking when you going to recharge. I reply I鈥檓 not if o run out of juice you can get out and push.

Edit I forgot to mention even the Polestar website range predictions are different from what the car can achieve lol. E.g. temp 25c with 19 rims and 70mph suggests max range of 249 miles, at 50 over 270 lol. I get those ranges at 5 to 10c so expect a lot more at 25c lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's still a bit odd that everyone is so focused on range in EVs - in ICE cars you could have a predicted range of 100 miles, hammer it like a loon and only get 70-80 miles and nobody would bat an eyelid.

And I don't know about anybody else but I never checked or cared about the range on any ICE car I bought.

I can only think we'll all learn to accept that it's purely a guide and when it's close to empty then you charge up again exactly like we do with ICE cars (infrastructure improvements will help with this).
Agree mostly, but you can "recharge" the ICE in 2 mins.....I spent 18% of the Newcastle-Surrey journey at the charger.....and they were allegedly rapid chargers (Ionity), best I got was 134kwh then settled at around 90kwh for the charge.

A learning curve obviously, thanks for the input.

Registered
Thank you. Would you expect the displayed 100% charge to change to 300 miles in summer or remain at 270 but likely to get more for the 270 ?

I just found it odd that the display at 100% charge would not show the fictional 335 miles at least in an attempt to justify the advertised range.
The problem with your proposal is that for each mile you drive more disappears from the range, the 270 miles gives you a real confidence-inspiring range which is surely more helpful.

WLTP needs to be multiplied by 0.75 to get realistic maximum range on any electric car; it鈥檚 no different to cars that allegedly do 75mpg but do 55mpg in the real world; my A2 has an extra urban of just over 80mpg, it鈥檒l do just over 60 if I cruise at 73mph.

Registered
Agree mostly, but you can "recharge" the ICE in 2 mins.....I spent 18% of the Newcastle-Surrey journey at the charger.....and they were allegedly rapid chargers (Ionity), best I got was 134kwh then settled at around 90kwh for the charge.

The single motor has a lower max charge speed than the dual motor which is 150kwh and they don't hold that charge for very long, 80kwh is about the average over a charge on a single motor, so you'll never get close to maxing out an Ionity charger

Registered
The single motor has a lower max charge speed than the dual motor which is 150kwh and they don't hold that charge for very long, 80kwh is about the average over a charge on a single motor, so you'll never get close to maxing out an Ionity charger
That only applies to the standard range not the long range. The long range single motor has the same charging curve and battery size as the Dual Motor.

Registered

This is the long running thread we have for SM it鈥檚 a mixture of SR and LR so don鈥檛 be put off by the title lol.

Registered
LRSM Void,Pilot,Plus
WLTP needs to be multiplied by 0.75 to get realistic maximum range on any electric car; it鈥檚 no different to cars that allegedly do 75mpg but do 55mpg in the real world; my A2 has an extra urban of just over 80mpg, it鈥檒l do just over 60 if I cruise at 73mph.
But that calculation isn't correct for all vehicles and therein lies the problem. I consistently match or better WLTP rated range in my 2020 Ioniq. Trying to standardise "real world range" is impossible. Perhaps the only thing whatever standard we use could do better is to have an upper and lower, instead of an absolute-looking figure.

I tend to not watch the GOM all that closely in mine because I know what I'm getting and I trust it. When the P2 arrives I'm going to have to learn and learn to trust all over again. And do that twice because I'm going to be pulling a trailer fairly often too. Being that there are not thousands of chargers around there places I'll be traveling to I will need to be absolutely certain on what efficiency I'm getting when pulling the trailer!

Registered
Indeed - I鈥檓 sure if I could tolerate driving my A2 at 55mph I could get 80mpg but would probably fall asleep at the wheel trying. Could probably get over 250 miles on the SMSR when it arrives but life is simply too short.

Registered
P2, Long range, single motor
This is the best I've seen in my LRSM, a few weeks ago on a cold wet day on the M4 and A roads in South Wales. I trundled along at a max of 65 mph on the motorway to see what consumption could like. It was on 100% when I left home and was showing 22% when I returned home.

Communication Device Mobile device Clock Mobile phone Font

Registered
This is the best I've seen in my LRSM, a few weeks ago on a cold wet day on the M4 and A roads in South Wales. I trundled along at a max of 65 mph on the motorway to see what consumption could like. It was on 100% when I left home and was showing 22% when I returned home.

View attachment 11611
Very similar to the figures I get on long runs in cold weather, 馃憤

Premium Member
'22 Midnight | SMLR | Pilot | Plus | 19"

All true but the key to your last sentence, hinted at in the parentheses, is the charge network. I'm prepping for two long trips this summer. One down I5 from Portland to Fresno and the other from Portland to Denver. Looking at the Fresno trip, I hardly have to plan at all beyond what I would with an ICE since there seem to be abundant charge station opportunities all along the I5 corridor. The other trip, not so much. Particularly, Salt Lake to Denver. (what's up with the complete charge station desert on I80 in southern Wyoming?) It's taking a lot more careful planning for the Denver trip.

Registered
My local space has added single motor to the test drive options, but it is grayed out and unselectable so far. Hoping to test drive single motor at some point before my car arrives in a few months. Would turning creep on help with the delay you are describing?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts