Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

Registered
Polestar 2
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So mine has arrived (yay 馃檪) and as there don't seem to be many posts regarding the performance of the single motor variant I thought I'd share my initial thoughts.

So first of all it's clearly not as powerful as the dual motor - but it doesn't feel significantly slower and, this may be just me, but I think you can notice the reduced weight (on standard one pedal driving the braking also seemed to be harder than I remember from test driving a dual motor).

Acceleration is more than brisk enough and you still get that instant power at all speeds - but you can also tell it's front wheel drive, especially if you put your foot down as you're turning.

But my biggest fear was that I'd be disappointed I didn't get a dual motor and that's definitely not the case so far - maybe time will tell.

Registered
Polestar 2
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And some initial thoughts about the car.
  • Set up was fairly painless, paired with the app without any issues (not using PAK though)
  • Still love the colour
  • The main interior lights are way too bright, with no discernible way to dim them.
  • Didn't have the latest update installed which is a bit disappointing as it looked like new cars were being updated with that before delivery.
  • No squeaks or rattles detected (yet)
  • The LED pixel headlights are amazing to watch in action - must pay attention to the road when driving 馃槀

Registered
And some initial thoughts about the car.
  • Set up was fairly painless, paired with the app without any issues (not using PAK though)
  • Still love the colour
  • The main interior lights are way too bright, with no discernible way to dim them.
  • Didn't have the latest update installed which is a bit disappointing as it looked like new cars were being updated with that before delivery.
  • No squeaks or rattles detected (yet)
  • The LED pixel headlights are amazing to watch in action - must pay attention to the road when driving 馃槀
Mine is due for delivery next week, looking forward to it.

You are right, not many posts about the single motor standard range yet.

The car I purchased is single motor standard range with only the pilot pack.

Also reassuring to know power is sufficient, which I know will be down on the dual motor version. But sounds like it's still quick enough.

The cars I tested both had 20 inch wheels, how is the ride with the 19 inch wheels?

Registered
My dual motor is on 19's and the ride is great. Really having that extra bit of sidewall on the tire makes a marked improvement, giving the car a firm, yet forgiving ride. I'm very glad I got the 19's.

Registered
On order; Polestar 2 SRSM, Plus, Magensium, Slate
Really positive initial feedback, I鈥檓 fairly confident I won鈥檛 miss the performance of the DM we test drove (strong response rather than spearing to the horizon suits me) and hoping it feels a little lighter.

Only have to wait until next spring!

Registered
Polestar 2
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I test drove a car with 20s (PP) and 19s and tbh didn't really notice any difference - but as mentioned the thicker sidewalls should make a difference, on a fairly short drive last night it certainly didn't feel 'crashy' over rougher roads 馃檪

Reactions: Man8ck

Registered
Polestar 2
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Regarding the lights, you can press and hold down on the light to change the brightness. I think only the rectangle looking ones are adjustable.
Thank you, I did try that but it only seemed to be the reading lights I could dim, not the interior lights - I'll try again later though.

Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
I presume you've tried adjusting on the infotainment screen?
Car symbol at top -- more -- interior lighting

Registered
Polestar 2
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I presume you've tried adjusting on the infotainment screen?
Car symbol at top -- more -- interior lighting
Unless I missed something obvious - entirely possible - those settings only seemed to apply to the ambient and mood lighting.

It's only a mild annoyance and tbh I'll probably leave them switched off rather than burning my retinas every time I get in it 馃槀

Registered
First of congrats on receiving the car. Im glad your enjoying it.

It always brings a smile to my face when people say the single motor isn鈥檛 as slow as they thought it would be as it takes 2.5 seconds longer 0-60 lol. Most ICE cars are actually slower than the SM P2 lol those that are faster have significantly bigger engines e.g. 3000cc or have turbos etc they also may be lighter than the P2. For me 7 seconds is very respectable for a family sized car.

Out of curiosity as mine should be delivered next month, how long did the hand over take? Did you do a full inspection as advised in some of the posts?

May the P2 bring a smile to your face every day.

Registered
Mine is due for delivery next week, looking forward to it.
The car I purchased is single motor standard range with only the pilot pack.
I also due next week for a single motor standard range package-less. I will add my thoughts here as well.

For me 7 seconds is very respectable for a family sized car.
For me it's about practicality and safety, it's more than enough for a safe drive and for taking over slow cars when needed.

When I retire and choose a sportier car I will choose the, then electric, Mazda MX-5 or something similar but until then I'll settle for a fast family car like this

Registered
Polestar 2
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First of congrats on receiving the car. Im glad your enjoying it.

It always brings a smile to my face when people say the single motor isn鈥檛 as slow as they thought it would be as it takes 2.5 seconds longer 0-60 lol. Most ICE cars are actually slower than the SM P2 lol those that are faster have significantly bigger engines e.g. 3000cc or have turbos etc they also may be lighter than the P2. For me 7 seconds is very respectable for a family sized car.

Out of curiosity as mine should be delivered next month, how long did the hand over take? Did you do a full inspection as advised in some of the posts?

May the P2 bring a smile to your face every day.
Thank you - and it is true that the majority of ICE cars aren't sub 8 seconds 0-60, although my previous car was a 335d x-drive so was probably closer to the dual motor in terms of performance :LOL:

But around town and even on a dual carriageway it is plenty fast enough.

The handover was pretty seamless and took about 45 minutes - it probably helped that I'd read up on here and watched numerous you tube videos so knew exactly what to do to set up the profiles etc - and did a full inspection of the car as well to make sure everything was ok.

As others have mentioned as we're fairly close to Oxford it was driven to me rather than delivered on a transporter - seems if you're within a 100 miles or so they'll do that.

Registered
Thank you - and it is true that the majority of ICE cars aren't sub 8 seconds 0-60, although my previous car was a 335d x-drive so was probably closer to the dual motor in terms of performance :LOL:

But around town and even on a dual carriageway it is plenty fast enough.

The handover was pretty seamless and took about 45 minutes - it probably helped that I'd read up on here and watched numerous you tube videos so knew exactly what to do to set up the profiles etc - and did a full inspection of the car as well to make sure everything was ok.

As others have mentioned as we're fairly close to Oxford it was driven to me rather than delivered on a transporter - seems if you're within a 100 miles or so they'll do that.
I鈥檇 be inspecting the car with a magnifying glass to lock for paint damage if it was driven to me LOL. Thanks for the info as the date gets closer it getting harder to wait lol.

Registered
I also due next week for a single motor standard range package-less. I will add my thoughts here as well.

For me it's about practicality and safety, it's more than enough for a safe drive and for taking over slow cars when needed.

When I retire and choose a sportier car I will choose the, then electric, Mazda MX-5 or something similar but until then I'll settle for a fast family car like this

I completely understand, I will have a 11 month boy in the car and the 20inch wheels are definitely not comfy so am sticking with the 19s.

Registered
2021 P2, Magnesium/Charcoal, non-pp, 19"
It's a proper car, so the interior lighting can be adjusted with a thumb wheel in the dashboard.

Registered
Regarding the lights, you can press and hold down on the light to change the brightness. I think only the rectangle looking ones are adjustable.
What do you mean by "hold down" on the light? Hold what? There's nothing to hold. If you touch the light it goes off/on.

Registered
I never thought a 7 second car would be considered slow. It's not. And it feels faster than you are likely used to because the 0-30 is surely even faster than any other ICE car you've driven. The instant torque provides a completely different feeling that makes any 0-60 time feel faster. Your foot seems directly connected to the speedometer, and the car exhibits no strain whatsoever.

Registered
On order; Polestar 2 SRSM, Plus, Magensium, Slate
Add comfort to that but I鈥檓 the same - my commute is 57 miles each way, almost all of that is cruising at 70mph, even now I barely use the performance of our V60 D4 and if I use my old A2 1.4TDi it very rarely feels short on power - I think the single motor will be more than enough!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts