Polestar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live near a couple of polar chargers and like to use my voucher to charge but I have noticed that I never get anywhere near 50kw speeds. I’m currently at 60% and getting 20 kWh - anyone else have similar problems experiences?

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
It's almost certainly battery temperature. I get that to start with and it took ages (half an hour or more) to properly increase. It was better last weekend as I hammered out a bit (accelerating and braking relatively hard) for a few minutes before charging to heat up the battery a bit.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Two things can affect speed. Temperature and current state of charge.

By my 50kWh charges experience in cold weather, once past 60% it will not get as high as 50kWh ...but should be a higher than 20kWh.

So as mentioned above if you did a short drive to the charger from cold, then it's battery temp. However if you did a decent drive there (like 50+ miles) on the motorway it could still be temp or just the charger is limited. Check it on Zap-Maps and see if others have reported slow charges.

Note: Once above 80% Battery you'll be lucky to get 20+kWh regardless of weather.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah okay, my assumption was that because it drops to around 40 on a 150 charger, it should still be making the most of the kw’s available from the charger. Guess I’m just too optimistic!

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
The car will only ever take what the battery can safely charge with, and that varies on the battery temperature (too hot or too cold = slower charge) and the battery state of charge (the fuller it gets, the slower the charge rate). So no particular reason to be concerned with what you've seen. When it's down to about 30%, take it for a quick blast to get the battery up to temperature and then straight away put it on a rapid charger. You should see it go up to 100+mph on the charging rate, which equates to 30kW or more (roughly speaking). I think mined topped out at about 115mph of range being added over the weekend at a 50kW Polar charger with a bit of yo-yoing (accelerate fairly hard, then brake fairly hard, both of which warm the battery up really quite quickly).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts